Why so many silver dimes

kwo123

Elite Member
What are your thoughts on why we find so many silver dimes and not to many quarters or halves? I think previous hunters over the past 30 years detected the quarters and halves easier and didn't pick up the dimes because they are smaller.

What are your thoughts on why we find so many silver dimes and not to many quarters or halves? I think previous hunters over the past 30 years detected the quarters and halves easier and didn't pick up the dimes because they are smaller.
They were more easier to lose and a small target to find.

I think both reasons are accurate, but especially the fact that dimes are more easily lost and harder to spot than larger coins.
BB

Why so many clad dimes? Just like beerdoodle said, dimes are easier to lose and harder to find without A detector. I've dropped dimes in the grass and couldn't find them, but quarters are easy to spot.

maybe since a dime was worth more than it is today since you could buy more stuff then you could today :lol: so people didnt have as many quarters as they did dimes and pennys a quarter back then was probably like a dollar today :yes:

Back when dimes were silver they were worth a lot more and the average person has less money , that should mean dimes were more commonly carried than larger coins. When it comes to modern coins , I usually find just as many if not more quarters than I do dimes , and thats probably due to the fact that dimes arent worth much anymore and quarters are more commonly carried. Like the others have mentioned they are also small and easier to lose.

dimes and pennies

Dimes and pennies ring up the same on some machines. Maybe people cherry pick and don't bother digging those smaller coins in your area.On my Mxt a dime rings up 79 and a penny rings 78-79.On my Etrac a 12-44 can be a penny or dime. I dig everything but maybe some are more picky.

I don't think it has as much to do with cherry picking as it does that when they were initially dropped, they were worth less. I mean who, outside of us coin junkies, bend over to pick up every coin we see? Most people would just bother picking up large, visible coins. Hence, there are more dimes for us to find now.

my ace 250 very often says dime and I dig a penny:mad: but many times its a dime and even a silver one at times,mostly I disc out pennies and dimes:grin:

Back
Top Bottom