Dumpster Diving Finds

When I used to live in the US I was very fortunate to live at both ivy league schools in new england because of my wife's job. You should see the stuff those kids throw away! A ton of brand new clothes with the price tag still on, furniture galore. I sold books on amazon for awhile and I just put my own bin in the recycle rooms in the basement with a "books only please" sign on it, they FILLED it every few days....I think at the end of every semester i posted over 2k in books on move out weekends.

Recycling:

Our church has its own resale shop and the whole community donates unwanted items for our store. In return we give to those truly in need with a gift of cash, household items and clothing when they have been thru something such as a devastating fire or flood. Because of our low overhead costs, our prices are about half of what Goodwill's are and that way even the most needy in the community can afford our clothing and other items. What clothing we cannot sell goes to either Goodwill or similar type organizations (there are none in our small town). While leftover non-clothing items that we can't sell at either our indoor or outdoor yard sales (name your own price), will end up out back of the church in or next to the dumpster free for the taking-and it does get taken. Guess you could say our community truly does practice recycling...

There really are some cool things out there:yes:

I know of a family that is getting kicked out of the apts soon....I'm watchin those dumpsters ....:lol:

I forgot my Dumpster dive

It like in the early 80s when I found this. Its in my garage on the wall. i think it said made in the 70s. But I can not get to it because of junk in front of it.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 569
I love hunting for stuff, MDing, second-hand and thrift shops, yard sales and taking a peak at what other have thrown out.

I look for quality hardwoods in furniture to salvage for home projects, clear Pine and 'White Wood' drawer bottoms for doing woodcuts.

I like utilitarian ceramics, picture frames and old hand tools. I keep hoping I'll find a Polaroid 185 or boxed Leica set, several members of a photo forum have found Leicas and kits, as well as other film camera related gear, which I use.

I also love finding good books. It's amazing what folks consider junk or simply don't care to bother with.

My wifes grandparents live in some apartments, and they evicted a army vet out, Afgain/Iraq ( I'm not sure of the story of why or where he is) but the management put it all by the dumpster. BDU's brand new! Boots, duty jackets, his duty metals, just about every appliance from kitchen NEW, pots pans, u name it!

I happened to be there that morning and I grabbed all the bdu's and jackets and boots, grandparents took all the kitchen stuff. And the amry metals. The guy never came back looking for it, nor family either.... My thought was tossed in jail or passed away or something!?

All the clothes were my size, boots too! They are my new hunting wear

In college my roommates and I would furnish our apartment with furniture left curbside by the ivy league college students down the street. Some brand new stuff or stuff that only had 9 months of use. Best time of the year was at the end of school in May when school was letting out for the year.
I just upgraded my lawnmower with a curbside find. It ws hard to pull start but a quick spray of WD40 and 10 min with a Dremel to sharpen the blade made it run like new. I returned the good fortune by leaving my older, but working mower curbside with a Free sign on it. Someone took it, but took the free sign off, ripped it into 3 pieces and threw them on my front lawn.

Being ex-Navy I can tell you it was very common for sailors to have the small minature Bibles like the one you have. You have to remember there isn't much room on a ship for personal belongings, hence the minature Bible.

I had a Bible like that when I went into the Navy. My father gave it to me.

I would bet that the Navy Department could give you some help on finding out who this gentelman was.

You already know he was a Seman First Class. In 1942 a Seaman First was a good rate. He had probably been in the navy a few years to reach that rate.

It is nice for you to remember hiim in this way.

Sparkster

Not DD find but a Grandparents basement find....an STG44 World War 2 German gun my Grandma And I where cleaning out her basement after my grandpa died and we found the rifle taken apart in an old foot locker the only thing missing was the wood butt of the gun (found a replacement though) well I put it together and paid the ATF fees ($400!) and now I have a cool old gun that my grandpa brought back from the war!( the pic was taken at a world war 2 public display that I do )

Attachments

• Stg44.jpg
    Stg44.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 526
Found my first harmonica in a dumpster. Been playin ever since.

I cant even begin to tell you guys how much stuff I have got diving. I lived in 2 college towns so I got plenty. Probaly 3 dozen computers alone. Laptop Im using now..yep it was free :grin:

The things I have been able to sell the easiest have been older video games and the system. And old boxes. Its crazy what some types of antique boxes are worth.

I have even found a gigantic bag of marijuana in a dumpster once. It was at a house that was being rennovated. I jumped in to get all the copper and there was this huge bag sitting there. I guess the workers had found it during the rennovation. I have no clue.

Its amazing how many mass produced electronics are out there. So many TVs and computer monitors, alarm clocks, etc...I mean there has got to be mountains of this junk.

Wow I might have to try and look at dumpsters now. Also on curbs on trash night. Its seems like sometimes you can find stuff worth money.

On day a couple of years ago, on a Monday after Easter, KT was working in north Arkansas and had driven through a small community where He got a room for the night. He decided to drive around town and while doing that and looking for a restuarant, He went by a Dollar General store...you know, they handle all that $1 Chinese junk....Well....KT sees this guy dumping Easter stuff in the dumpster!

So after supper KT cruises back by the store and they are closed for the evening. KT looks in the dumpster and there are like 45 Easter baskets with the cellophane green grass still in them! After he cleans those out into the back of the truck, further looking he comes up with about 50 packages of plastic Easter eggs ready to stuff! So he scarfs them up too!

When KT got back to the office He transferred all this into His Royal Chariot and stops by His church on the way home. Shows it to the pastor who is overjoyed to get it and store for next year! We held 3 community Easter egg hunts for the community with this stuff before it was used up! HA HA HA

Since it was a Dollar store, I figured it totalled about $100 worth of goodies for kiddies...all brand new! Amazing!

KT keeps his eyes open now for such goodies! Unfortunately most stores in Little Rock keep their dumpsters locked cause the locals dump their trash in em...what bums!

Okay...so, I know some people think that DDers are nuts, but, I swear I'm not:crazy:(I don't do it a lot)

People throw away a LOT of things that are still perfectly good, and also a LOT of collectible things as well....

Well, as some of you know I live in apartments, and in every apartment complex there is an area where they tend to put the elderly tenants....When one dies or moves to the "home" their families usually just throw out anyting they don't want.....that's where I come in...I scan the top of the pile :hmmm:and if I see anything interesting:wow:...I'm divin:lol:

Well, a few months ago I found some patches from (I'm guessing) a Navy uniform....some pins....a vintage Bradley travel clock(not in great shape though:()....some chain jewelry...and my favorite.....a pocket Bible

The Bible was given to a man named Louis M. Nichols on Sept. 2, 1942....it has his Service Number in it as well(357-74-99)...I would like to find out a little more about him, but I think he may be deceased...How would I go about that? Every website I find, you have to pay for the info...and I'm broke (as usual) :roll:

I'll try to post a pic or two of the Bible in a min:D

Thanks for reading my thread! :thankyou:
Go to this sight: findagrave.com also familysearch.org
Both sights are free. I do genealogy. There are not many sights that are free now. Good Luck.:grin:

(i posted this somewhere else i swear)... guy on the bottle site i'm on is the "scratching" as he calls it, champion.... he's found jewelry, boxes and boxes of brand new Nike's, I'd guess 2k milk bottles (embossed etc..) and he just hit his 3k coin mark..not to mention the tags and medallions and stuff he finds. and probably a ton of copper/brass/silver plate sitting at his house. He finds it all in 1-2spots. the man is amazing...

I pick up stuff that looks like I could do something with it or someone I know could do something with it.

I hit my ultimate "scratching" spot when I discovered that one of the abandoned 40acres near the fam farm was nothing but car parts from Model A to '47 Packards (so far)... been stacking parts and hauling them out as I get up there and am able to...(the privy I started digging that goes 12+ feet and the ravines that lead to the old swamp that have 1940s bottles lying on top..keep calling me like crack though...) always fun to find history.

Back
Top Bottom