Do you hock your finds?

:?::?::?:

They pay the value as spot stands at the time of their receipt. You probably sent it when silver was $34, and they received it after it dropped to $30.
I believe ARA has a "lock in" option that you can exercize to avoid that. The problem is that if silver went from 30 to 34 after you locked in at 30, you've shot yourself in the foot.

Two questionable points here:
The first is that ARA is in the business of dealing in precious metals. If there's any value to your gold, they will profit by buying it from you. If they say there's "no value", you can bet there's "no value". If some "local gold scrap buyer" gave you money for it anyway, then either the buyer doesn't know what he's doing (in which case you got lucky, and I'd be selling him all the stuff nobody else will buy) or he bought your pieces for reasons other than gold content.

The second point is your comment that the buyer paid you "half price or whatever". This implies that you have no idea what your "gold" was worth in the first place. If I had, say, a 15 dwt 10K ring and a 5 dwt 14K wedding band, I know EXACTLY what they're worth at spot, so if I sold them I'd also know EXACTLY what percentage of spot they paid me instead of guessing "half price or whatever".

I would not want to start a discussion here. But I feel some clarification should be done.
Pooling. According to ARA website: "Upon completion, your options for settlement are a check or your metal returned. You also have the option of pooling your metal and watching the market for settlement at your discretion." That is what I asked them to do and called it pooling. I assume that is what you call "lock in". I gave my instructions using their terminology.
No value. The fact they rejected the scrap gold bought from a reputable jeweler is the reason I say I do not understand their MO. If you say that ARA knows better than Kay, Zales and the like (I had the receipts for the things and one of the bits even had 14K stamp) then we are probably sold junk in those stores instead of gold.
Local gold scrap buyer. They buy and sell gold and silver coins and they have been around for a while. Still in business.
Half price or whatever. I make my money somewhere else (trading silver and gold futures at work) I would not worry about minor differences. You may call it stupid but I do not even have scales. People are in general honest. I just bring or mail whatever I want to sell to the company that does it and trust their estimate. If you count money then it is not that much fun for a hobby (Point for another thread, perhaps?). I just sell it and move further doing more metal detecting or diving. It is scrap after all. I keep coins I like but not the scrap. It is a nice extra to the hobby: some coins to pay for gas and batteries. That is what this thread is about: "Do you hack your finds?"
I gave just the facts. I do not judge the guys. I am not saying they are bad or good.

Ara

Ive sent ara about an ounce of gold and 3 ounces of silver. All were rings without stones and the silver was silver spoons. Anything I can resell I would not melt. I pooled my gold with ara for about 3 month till gold was over 1750 an ounce before I cashed out. They are great to deal with.

I only sell the jewelry I find and scrap pieces. I keep all sliver coins ive found and most likely my kids will inherit them.

As far as good gold finds go, I found a nice 18k ring this Past summer tHat weighed 12.6 g. Best jewelry find to date!

Actually, I'm planning on refining and melting the gold and silver into bars to keep around until time to sell. I've been studying the refining process and it doesn't look too difficult. Just something else to do that should prove fun.

RD :coolman:

I sold my prize find. had a patio put in

gwoz.jpg

I sell all my gold and silver, other than antique type items which I either keep or sell to collectors. My two most valuable finds that I have sold are an 1895-O barber dime and an 1890's dog tax tag. I usually hang on to stuff but when there are other collectors looking for desirable items and I don't collect these items I move them to a good home!

Brass and lead don't go anywhere. No one seems interested in rusted nails, cans or fence wire. :lol:

If I ever find any jewelry that my wife doesn't want, it will be sold. Clad is spent and the only silver that I found last year was kept (a SLQ).

Doug

In 2001 I sold a button for $5,000, and a coin in 2009 for the same amount. It's great at the time because it seems like free money, but if you really like your find make sure you give it a lot of thought before selling, and make sure you put the money to good use or you'll probably regret it down the road.

I've yet to find anything of worth, but unless it's something I'd wear or give to someone, I'd definitely sell it straight away! I need the money real bad!

I keep one of each coin I find for my sons. Everything else is sold off or given as gifts

that said, I've only sold one thing as I haven't found much to begin with lol

Back
Top Bottom