Minelab X-Terra 30

steevo

Hi all, I just thought I would write a bit of a blurb on my new minelab X-Terra 30.
The first thing you notice about the X-terra 30 is its relative light weight at 1.3kg. Secondly I found it extremely well balanced and easy to swing for long periods. It feels very comfortable and like an extension of your arm.
The only settings to worry about are the sensitivity setting, which I have been able to run on full at the locations I have tested it at so far, and the volume setting.

I tend to hunt in the descriminate mode with the -4 and 4 segments descriminated out. This eliminates all iron targets and foil. I know this will discriminate out some coins and other curiosities but at the moment I am happy with that as I only want to hunt certain targets.
I have found the quality of my finds has improved with the X-Terra 30 as I spend less time digging trash at the beach like cigarette packet foil, foil drink seals and bits of wire. The combination of the three tones and the target ID has improved the treasure hunting experience for me greatly.

Another feature of the X-terra is the Depth indicator which I have found to be pretty spot on every time. I went to a local park where I did not want to dig up the ground too much so I decided to just dig the targets that showed up with 2 depth indicators or less. This meant the targets were near the surface and could be popped out easily without hole digging. It worked a treat and I found several modern coins and a small silver trinket just under the surface which I flicked out with a knife.

Pinpointing is so easy with the use of an indicater with inner and outer rings. The inner ring is made up of segments which create a complete arc when the coil is directly over the object. The arc is incomplete if the target is off centre. This is backed up by an audio signal which increases in pitch also once the target is directly under the centre of the coil. Very simple and very accurate.
I find the X-terra to be a joy to use and so far I have found the pre-set ground balance adequate for my treasure hunting locations. I am not sure if there is any advantage to the V-Flex technology as my Musketeer with its time tested VLF technology seems to have the depth advantage. This may be due to its manual adjustable ground balance but none the less it does have a couple of inches on the X-terra 30. My deepest find so far with the X-terra is about 7 inches (a clad coin in damp soil) so I am more than happy with that sort of performance.
All in all a great detector and great fun to use in my opinion..

Happy Hunting
Steevo in NZ

X-30 is a good machine

Hello

I have to agree with you about the X-30 I think it is a good machine. I read mixed reviews about it but I felt pretty comfortable reccomending it to my sister and she bought one. I have gotten to use it a few times and I am very impressed with it. One MAJOR advantage I found with it is that it will work in areas where my Deleon will not due to high electrical interference. There is an area of my front yard I cannot hunt because of the electrical interference. I used her X-30 and was able to hunt with no problem and pull out 20-30 coins.

I love the pinpointing on this machine!

The only problem I have had with my Cortes is near my neighbor's yard who has an "invisible fence" system for his dog. If I get within 30 feet of it the chatter gets so bad as to render the machine useless.

Back
Top Bottom