Garrett Compared to White's Beach Detectors

treasurekid

Hi Folks,

I am wondering, I own the White's BeachHunter ID and was thinking of selling it to buy the Garrett Sea Hunter. Would this be a good move? Thank you for your honesty.

Gregg

Hey Gregg,
What's the reason for wanting to change? Are you having a problem with the BeachHunter?

I hear nothing but great reviews for White's products. Myself, I'm partial to Garrett's. But honestly, I don't know if the SeaHunter is better than the BeachHunter.

Try checking with TonyinCT. He'll shoot you straight.
WWW.TCMETALDETECTORS.COM

Good luck.

RD :cool:

Hi RD,

Thank you for your response. I like trying different detectors. I switch detectors like I switch cars. I always want a new toy. I am not having any problems with the BeachHunter. I was looking at the specs of the Garrett and see it is able to go down 100FT compared to the White's only 25FT. That is what caught my eye. I was also watching the travel channel last night and saw that there is a huge ship wreck in Florida with over $300 million of silver and gold on it. No one has found it yet. The wreck is said to be in only 25FT of water. I am really looking to do some serious treasure hunting. The people searching for treasure need investors, I do not. This is the only reason I wanted the best for the buck. I also own the XLT. I bought it just to have it. I think I used it 6 times. I bought 4 coils with it. All are still brand new. I guess some may call me crazy but I love my toys. Where are you from? Are you close to Rhode Island? I am looking for a partner or partners to detect with. Thanks again for your response. Gregg

I agree with wannabeagolddigger, that your going to want a PI MD. I've just went through all the researching on all the water based units and ended up purchasing a Garretts Infinium. Although this may be a good choice for me, it may not be a good choice for you. Ask the first question, what am I going to use it for? Gold that others haven't been able to get too? Then diffiently
your going to want a PI detector (exstensive research has brought me to this conclusion/ depth and gold sensitivity=PI). PI system will go deeper. I purchased the Infinium because I live in location where high mineralization terrain is abundant (Northern California, Beach & Gold Country). If this is not your case, I liked the Head Hunter Pulse (one other coil), Whites PI pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Fischer CZ20, last the Excaliber (not to say that the excaliber was a bad unit it was just my particular preference). There are pros and cons for each unit (accessories, cost, repair issues, warranty etc.). You can email me if you want them ([email protected]).

Re: Garretts Infinium

Thank you for your postings. So, is the Garretts Infinium good also for just plain beach hunting? If so, that is the one I will buy. Thank you

Thank you for your postings. So, is the Garretts Infinium good also for just plain beach hunting? If so, that is the one I will buy. Thank you

If your not going to search in the water and you would like to have some control over what you want to find or discriminate, you may want to go with a Whites DFX, takes awhile to learn, but as I understand can be worth the learning (It's not water proof though/ but not a PI unit). Whites PI pro would also be a good choice (has proven itself and works in water). The Head Hunter Pulse is basically a water unit that can be used on the beach, it's quite compact and has some of the newest technology http://www.detectorpro.com/headhunterpulse.htm

The Infinium worked great for me on the beach (spent a lunchtime at a highly mineralized beach). It has several coil selections (which I like), most people belive the 8" mono works well and pinpoints much easier (if your in moderate mineralized soil). You can go to this site and it can help you get up and running quick http://www.akmining.com/mine/garrett_infinium_tips.htm. Working with the frequency settings makes all the difference in the way it runs. I still run mine wide open and add some disc only when I can't weed it out with the frequency settings. If price is no object you may want to look at Eric Fosters PI systems http://www.surfscanner.com/Surfscan3/EFoster.html good luck on your decisions. Rick

Attachments

• Infinium.jpg
    Infinium.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 683
Thank you again folks!

I am wondering, the White's Beach Hunter is multi-freq and the Infinium has I think over 80 Freq's. Besides being able to go deeper with the Infinium, does the Beach Hunter do the same thing? Does it have more options / settings compared to the Infinium? I am just trying to understand these detectors. I am not a pro by any means. I just want the best for the buck. Thanks again. Gregg

I cannot give you info on the Garrett but I do know the Whites BH ID. I use mine scuba diving to 25ft, waterhunting chest deep and land hunting with Discriminator. The secret with the BH is at the beach with not a lot of trash go into all metal mode, when you get a hit check your light ID if its yellow or green, dig it:yes: . Another way of checking is with the tones high and Mid tone, Dig it.:yes: If its down deep and faint dig till you get a reading. On land I go into silent seek mode and dig by tones. The only issue I have with the BH is if your in surf it will false when the water washes over the coil. Otherwise I think its a great detector it is very sensitive and you will find a lot of Bobby pins down 6 to 8 inches.:roll:

I am wondering, the White's Beach Hunter is multi-freq and the Infinium has I think over 80 Freq's. Besides being able to go deeper with the Infinium, does the Beach Hunter do the same thing? Does it have more options / settings compared to the Infinium? I am just trying to understand these detectors. I am not a pro by any means. I just want the best for the buck. Thanks again. Gregg

Go here and upload the PDF file with the instruction on the Beach Hunter (not a PI)http://whiteselectronics.net/calif/models/model15/index.htm

Go here and upload the PDF file with the instruction on the Infinium (PI)
http://www.garrett.com/hobby/products/infiniumlsdata.htm

This is how I research: I read the manuals find out what options they have and what makes them tick. I will go to all the sites that provide reviews from anybody and try to read between the lines on what the unit is truly about. Sooner of later you'll get the information pluses and minuses that will lean you toward one unit or another. Try this site it will help you understand the background of the Pulse Inductive units http://www.nuggetshooter.com/articles/UnderstandingPIdetector.html. For the money Whites PI pro looks to be a good deal... Unless you can get a new Infinium for $700.00 off Ebay. Rick

Garrett Infinium

Where are you from? Are you close to Rhode Island? I am looking for a partner or partners to detect with. Thanks again for your response. Gregg

Hey Gregg -

Sorry, but I'm in the Los Angeles area. A bit of a commute to get to your area. ;)

The Garrett Infinium is supposed to be a great PI unit, but it runs about $1000. The cheapest I saw it for was on Ebay - $895.

Good luck.

RD :cool:

My First Big Find at a State Beach!!

Ok folks, this is my first big find at a state beach in Rhode Island using my White's Beach Hunter ID which I was considering selling. Take a look at the pictures. It is an old ring with a beautiful dark blue Sapphire in the middle with 2 more Sapphire's on each side of the large stone and 4 diamond chips surrounding the Sapphire.

http://members.cox.net/bogo/ring-beach-1.jpg

The worth of the ring is yet to be known. I am figuring it to me worth between $500 and $1200 because of the size and clairty of the Sapphire.

Bh "id"

Treasure kid, I use a beach hunter with very good results. I do want to add 1 thing about it. The all metal mode is more productive then the disc. cause you get a lot more audible hits. As you know, blue, yellow hits will show in the AM mode as well as disc., however you will also get more nulls with AM and still may get lights. You gotta dig them nulls. Mixed lights usually signify a worthless or iron target. It can also be multiple targets, say a ring and a penny or nail adjacent to each other. I dig everything red yellow and blue. because I sometime get as many as 3 to 4 targets out of a hole. The grass always looks greener. Congratz on the saphire ring looks great....Gil.....:wow:

Back
Top Bottom