NY River Metal Detecting/Snorkeling

FoxW

Hey everyone,

I just had some questions about metal detecting in some local rivers nearby. I have been metal detecting on land about a year now, and just got a waterproof pinpointer. I have always wanted to metal detect in small rivers, and have a few nearby my apartment that have public access points where I could park and go in the water. I just wasn't sure if there were any restrictions or anything I should be aware of. I don't want to go out on my first day and end up getting in trouble for doing something or being somewhere I shouldn't lol. Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your feedback! HH!

Billy

You try Google?
Yep, so far only found posts of people doing the hunting, not necessarily the logistics of it all. Going to ask some people at my college about it to try and get some other insight too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I know that in several states I've been in snorkeling or SCUBA that is the water is navigable (i.e. there are powered boats doesn't matter how small) that your supposed to have a dive flag with you. Its a smart idea anyway even if no laws requiring it.

Local rivers are a great place to detect esp. if there were areas where people swam and such. The so called swimming hole. I hit one last summer went I visited family in NH. It was one of those swimming holes where they had a rope swing out over the water. I hauled a bunch of stuff including a few rings out of the rocks in that river. So more power to ya! Be safe, good luck and happy hunting.

Yep, so far only found posts of people doing the hunting, not necessarily the logistics of it all. Going to ask some people at my college about it to try and get some other insight too.

Good luck man

I know that in several states I've been in snorkeling or SCUBA that is the water is navigable (i.e. there are powered boats doesn't matter how small) that your supposed to have a dive flag with you. Its a smart idea anyway even if no laws requiring it.

Local rivers are a great place to detect esp. if there were areas where people swam and such. The so called swimming hole. I hit one last summer went I visited family in NH. It was one of those swimming holes where they had a rope swing out over the water. I hauled a bunch of stuff including a few rings out of the rocks in that river. So more power to ya! Be safe, good luck and happy hunting.
Thanks Numil! I'd love to get out to some popular swimming holes before it gets too cold. That'll probably raise less flags than a guy walking in a river in the open with a detector lol. Happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom