Best Detector for gold, jewelry, coins, etc...

Zaynexpetty

I am brand new to detecting, and I am going to purchase a detector in the very near future.

Preferably, I would like something that is good at finding gold nuggets, as well as coins, jewelry, relics, etc... (I live in Utah and I'll probably end up hitting up a few ghost towns around here).

I know that the general consensus is that high frequency detectors are for gold, and lower frequency are better for the other stuff. Are there any that are generally really good for everything?

I am looking to spend under $800.

Thanks!

I am brand new to detecting, and I am going to purchase a detector in the very near future.

Preferably, I would like something that is good at finding gold nuggets, as well as coins, jewelry, relics, etc... (I live in Utah and I'll probably end up hitting up a few ghost towns around here).

I know that the general consensus is that high frequency detectors are for gold, and lower frequency are better for the other stuff. Are there any that are generally really good for everything?

I am looking to spend under $800.

Thanks!

AT Gold or the runner up the AT Pro. If you call a sponsor rather than just ordering you will prob get a MUCH better deal. I got my AT Pro and Pro Pointer for around $635 shipped. Prices change weekly and depending in who you get a quote from.... The AT Gold will run you more though...you should still be able to get all you need though for under your budget.

I highly suggest a Pro Pointer, Lesche, and last but not least a coil cover. That $14 cover will protect that coil greatly and worth every penny.

AT Gold or the runner up the AT Pro. If you call a sponsor rather than just ordering you will prob get a MUCH better deal. I got my AT Pro and Pro Pointer for around $635 shipped. Prices change weekly and depending in who you get a quote from.... The AT Gold will run you more though...you should still be able to get all you need though for under your budget.

I highly suggest a Pro Pointer, Lesche, and last but not least a coil cover. That $14 cover will protect that coil greatly and worth every penny.
That's two so far for the AT Gold. I had researched the pro pointer and that is definitely something I'll be picking up. I'll need to research some sponsors if I decide that's the detector I want.

Is there a big difference between the pro and gold?

I tell everyone no matter what detector you have, a pro pointer and lesche digger or better are two must-haves. I say "or better" because I just got a samson t-handle and I love that thing.

That being said, the 705 is a great all-around machine too.

The gold has a very slightly higher freq which is better for gold and smaller items. The pro is 15.3 I think an the Gild is around 18khz I think. The old has a slightly smaller coil which makes it a little easier for picking out targets. I think I have read the Gold has a true "all metal" mode.

If you are hunting coins also you may save yourself some money and just get a ATP and just buy a 5x8 coil. In theory the ATG would be better for small gold jewelry. I have only used the ATP, but I took the above info into consideration in my research. I elected for the ATP.

Just don't overlook a quality digging tool and a cover either.

I tell everyone no matter what detector you have, a pro pointer and lesche digger or better are two must-haves. I say "or better" because I just got a samson t-handle and I love that thing.

That being said, the 705 is a great all-around machine too.
The ML Xterra 705 is one I was kind of looking into. Have any opinions on how it would hold up against the AT Gold?

The AT GOLD is waterproof up to 10 ft this is what sold me, well that and it's got a higher frequency and is more sensitive to small gold :cool:

The 705 can hunt it all:yes: I have the X-terra 70 (predecessor to the 705) and I love it. It goes deep and is very accurate. Change the coil, change the frequency, hunt everything!

the 705 is the machine your looking for I would get the gold pack because that coil is more expensive then the concentric coil. If you wanted they have a dual coil package as well so you get both coils. The AT Pro will hit on the small gold just like the 705 but you dont have the ground tracking or the ability to switch frequencies. Sure you get get the AT Pro/Gold wet but if your not hunting in the water it is just a wasted feature.

That's two so far for the AT Gold. I had researched the pro pointer and that is definitely something I'll be picking up. I'll need to research some sponsors if I decide that's the detector I want.

Is there a big difference between the pro and gold?

Bart form Big Boys Hobbies is just a great guy to deal with. And he is there after your purchase to answer any questions you might have. I have both the Atgold and the Atpro I prefer the Atpro. The Atpro is easier to run in a trashy area.The Atpro is a killer for small gold! The Atgold is a touch better for small gold. Good Luck

the 705 is the machine your looking for I would get the gold pack because that coil is more expensive then the concentric coil. If you wanted they have a dual coil package as well so you get both coils. The AT Pro will hit on the small gold just like the 705 but you dont have the ground tracking or the ability to switch frequencies. Sure you get get the AT Pro/Gold wet but if your not hunting in the water it is just a wasted feature.
That sounds awesome. Where did you find the package with both coils? That might be the route I'll go!

Call Bart. He's been making some killer two coil deals, and not just sticking to what Minelab offers. He's even been putting together packages with Coiltek coils.

You might get lucky in a ghost town. I hit a few in Utah in the 1990's. Lots of trash and a lot have been dug an dug. You can see where they dug all the outhouses they could find. Dirt is deep and a lot needs to be moved. Beautiful country.

Back
Top Bottom