• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Testing the Sunray 5" coil...

Captain Silver

Elite Member
Several weeks ago I acquired a vintage Sunray S-5 coil along with another Sovereign coil in a trade. This morning I got to looking at it and decided to assemble a machine out of spare parts and go try the 5" coil out. I hardly ever hunt with the smaller 7 1/4" factory coil, running the 10" 90% of the time...so if nothing else I now have a challenge to go find silver with this here hockey puck of a coil:lol: Powered by a Elite control box mounted on a Sov GT straight shaft with a Elite 550 meter, I ran it on band 2 at max sens with the disc and notch knobs set to 0...and hit the base of a stone wall at a known silver spot Nosing along the wall, and after some clad and 3 wheats, with most of the coins being 4-5" inches down but easily heard hiding in the garbage, I came across a faint but clear high tone that pegged the meter...a sound I know well:yes: so I dug down about 8", flipped the plug and saw the reeded edge of a silver about a inch in from the bottom of the plug silver #48... I was able to move at a decent pace and keep the threshold somewhat steady in the heavy trash, the small coil was like a laser beam in it's ability to home in on coins, making it very easy to x and dig in the right place on almost every plug. It air tested at about 6" and was slightly deeper on actual targets with the dime being at about 7" down...I have another place in mind where the Sunray S-5 should prove useful, and today's success provided a bit of needed motivation, makes me look forward to the next outing...until then, thanks for the looks and Happy Hunting!

Another experiment success, but I think you knew before you started this adventure you had another workable option. Congrats on the Rosie and finding a bit more motivation. Jack

Good report. Good pix. thanx for posting the results of the hocky-puck test . :signals:

Nice write up. I like the term "laser beam"! I've found the same with the X-5 on the Explorer....it lets you TRULY listen to each individual target in the ground,and in some places where things are packed in tight,that is invaluable.
Good to see your success,there will surely be more!

Congrats on the rosie and glad that coil worked out. I often wish I had a small coin that would help get closer to walls, walkways, etc. because the big coil is tough getting close.

Nice rosie! I love seeing the rim of silver peeking out like that! Congratulations!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Nice save for sure and I love the sunray coils. I ran the 8 for a few years with great success

I love my X5 in those really trashy spots. that's 5"coil really teaches you patience as you don't cover much ground with it. Most of my silver this year has come with the X5 in spots I have hit pretty hard.

Nice work Bruce! Love the silver!

I ran the sunray 5.5 for but found it lacking in depth, now this in the salt water where it's is a little harder to tell depth. But I did clean up a area close to shore with the little guy. I think it is a very special coil for special places on the Excalibur.

Back
Top Bottom