Should I pick the scale off?

RI Matt

Found my first large cent and I'm not sure if picking off the scale like crust will also remove the detail. Any thoughts?
7aca7e89c98a095a7efdb159bb809e60.jpg
a4d26fadbac425381afb7d0845270f4a.jpg

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

It will jack it up. Best bet is to leave it alone. Maybe some renaissance wax

Pour a small amount of olive oil in a bowl, place the coin in there and leave it alone for a few weeks. After a few weeks has passed you could pick at it with a tooth pick. DO NOT get impatient about it, just let it set in the oil as long as it takes. That coin isn't going anywhere, it's yours now.

Thats a great find!

If it were me, I'd swallow it, in a few days, early am...I'd drop the Wifes spaghetti strainer into the toilet, and let things take it course...hell, go ahead and gobble up a bunch of rotten discolored clad while you are at it, slug down a 2 litre 7up and give us the report in a few days...just for sake of conversation and coin cleaning efficiency methods...we are all here to learn..
Mud

Thats a great find!

If it were me, I'd swallow it, in a few days, early am...I'd drop the Wifes spaghetti strainer into the toilet, and let things take it course...hell, go ahead and gobble up a bunch of rotten discolored clad while you are at it, slug down a 2 litre 7up and give us the report in a few days...just for sake of conversation and coin cleaning efficiency methods...we are all here to learn..
Mud
That's great I'm dying over here.great find Matt it was alot of fun. Next time we both will get one.

Greg

Great find, Matt. Sincere but envious congrats. Found a Wheatie today to go with my 55 cents (clad) and a Zincoln. :-(

Agree with the other posters... found out the hard way about the "crust"

I just dug the same large cent in slightly worse condition and it's in slightly worse condition because my little bro who I was showing it too started picking the scale off. DONT DO IT! like they said. Oil it and wait and then gently rub with q-tip or pick at with tooth pick....

I took the date off one of mine with a Q-Tip !! I'm not liking the tooth pick advise. I know how tempting it is to make it more appealing but.....be happy to have any date !

Back
Top Bottom