• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ladders .... have they changed?

TheCoilist

Elite Member
This is going to sound like a crazy question... but almost 20years ago I worked at a hardware store. We sold everything. Ladders were often bought and returned (we called it renting) and we couldn’t put them back on the shelf for safety concerns. So, as a manager I had to inspect the ladders etc. before issuing a return. Point is, I know some things about ladders.

Have ladder specs changed? I’m looking to buy a ladder (10ft) and some of the ladders I’m seeing at the stores don’t actually measure to the size they claim to be. I’ve taken tape measures to them in the store.

So is the listed ladder height, not the actual ladder length anymore? Some are correct, some are not.

Not really sure, are they measured in working height or actual height? Don't know a ton about them other than try not to stand on the very top of a step ladder if I can avoid it, sometimes you just do what you need to. Hopefully no OSHA workers on this site :lol:

Did a search and found this:

https://www.lowesforpros.com/l/pro-ladder-buying-guide.html

from the link above:

A ladder that's too short or too long for a job can slow the work and put the safety of you or your workers at risk. But you can't just choose a ladder based on its listed size. A ladder's listed size differs from the actual height a worker can safely reach: the size is simply the length of the ladder or the combined length of the ladder sections. It doesn't account for the maximum standing level or — for an extension ladder — the overlap between the sections. Maximum reach height takes these factors into account and is the effective way to size a ladder. You may see this listed when looking at ladders, but if not, here are some points to keep in mind.
(end of quote)

When you said: "Ladders were often bought and returned (we called it renting)"

did you charge a "restocking fee" that was effectively the "rental fee" ? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom