At max or equinox 800?

So out of all the noxs sold how many defective ones have you heard about? I've had my nox since it came out and have had zero problems with it. The thing is with the internet forums is you hear about the few bad ones but the majority of people who have zero problems don't post that they have zero problems. I would say it's a very, very small percentage of all the noxs sold that have issues compared to ones that don't have any problems.

Pretty much seems a daily or definitely weekly thing hearing about a nox issue, lately I couldn't count how many leaked and had to be sent back. Hey, if it works for you that's great, but I'd hate to see some unknowing person fall victim and spend they're hard earned money on a faulty machine that no doubt should be a total recall for development issues.
I'm not at all saying the nox isn't a good performance machine.But performance isn't the issue, it's build quality thats breaking,leaking and wobbling
And as far as it being a very small percentage were hearing about, that's just plain wrong.Tgese forums make up a very small percentage of the metal detecting people worldwide and its here that all the issues are a high percentage being posted..imagine the thousands who aren't on the forums having the same problems.

Last edited:
So out of all the noxs sold how many defective ones have you heard about? I've had my nox since it came out and have had zero problems with it. The thing is with the internet forums is you hear about the few bad ones but the majority of people who have zero problems don't post that they have zero problems. I would say it's a very, very small percentage of all the noxs sold that have issues compared to ones that don't have any problems.

Other than the wobbly shaft on the Equinox 800 and some of the worst ID numbers on most of the detectors I have tried. The Equinox 800 rates as a fair detector, definitely not the best!!!

I had the AT Pro for 3 years. Darn fine machine and still is. I sold it to buy the 800. I have to admit there were more than a few times on my 800 learning curve that I would have sold the 800 had I still had the AT Pro.

Finally learned how to really use the 800 and love it. Would not go back to the AT pro now.

Don't see a whole lot of difference between the AT Pro and AT Max.

Other than the wobbly shaft on the Equinox 800 and some of the worst ID numbers on most of the detectors I have tried. The Equinox 800 rates as a fair detector, definitely not the best!!!

Which other detector do you like better?

I was thinking,of Equinox but stories about bad quality scare me. So farm I'm centered in Equinox and ORX, zig zagging back and forth as I read the posts here.

Emwonk,

13 people contributing to this thread and actually answering the original poster's question recommended the Nox 800 over the AT Max. None recommended the AT Max over the Equinox. One rated it a toss-up. The others either had a bad experience, didn't like the Nox in general or are just piling on. Everything except the arm rest is covered under the 3 year warranty. Personally, I wouldn't worry about those responses that claim Minelab's quality control is horrible. It isn't. No detector roll out is perfect or trouble free. Like one poster said not all Nox users have used theirs in the water yet which is a good point. Also, this is the first summer where lots of Nox users probably have used theirs in the water since many people held off buying one until there were lots of users reporting in. The one response about the Nox having the worst target ID numbers of most detectors completely goes against the vast majority of reports which are just the opposite. Most fair, head to head tests between the Nox and the AT Max give high marks to both detectors with the Nox being a little deeper and the Nox having better target separation, target unmasking, speed and adjustable features. Any one who has actually owned both and used them enough to know their capabilities (like many of the posters here that gave the nod to the Nox) know what they are talking about and also know that the Nox imperfections are far out weighed by its overall excellence as an all purpose detector. The same can be said for the AT Max. You really can't go wrong with either one. The Orx is not an all purpose detector just by the nature of its features. It is an outstanding detector for what it was designed for=gold prospecting and relic hunting first and foremost. It is an okay coin and jewelry detector on dry land and dry beach sand. It is capable of working in some wet beach sand but not as well as the Nox and the AT Max.

Jeff

In the UK the Nox has been a massive hit, where folks in the US complain it hits on every small bit of cr4p, that infact is one of it's best features.

Take this target, a medieval cut quarter, it's sitting on top of a dime for scale.
It came in at a solid 9 on the Nox, after digging hundreds of lead targets reading the same 9, i can tell the difference from the audio report between these 2 targets, i rarely look at the screen.
An AT Max running 13khz or so would probably call this target as iron at 1 or 2 inches in my mineralised soil, the Nox running 18-39khz or so in field filters the minerals and gives such a good audio report.

In the UK the Nox has been a massive hit, where folks in the US complain it hits on every small bit of cr4p, that infact is one of it's best features.

Take this target, a medieval cut quarter, it's sitting on top of a dime for scale.
It came in at a solid 9 on the Nox, after digging hundreds of lead targets reading the same 9, i can tell the difference from the audio report between these 2 targets, i rarely look at the screen.
An AT Max running 13khz or so would probably call this target as iron at 1 or 2 inches in my mineralised soil, the Nox running 18-39khz or so in field filters the minerals and gives such a good audio report.

Clicking that image gave me a spammy pop up congratulating me for something.

I’ve had my Equinox 800 since they were released (early adopter) and have had zero issues with it. It has been underwater and used exclusively at the beach. I’m a forum member at all of the popular sites and I haven’t seen more than a few post complaining of issues.
So dozens of complaints seems off.

I own both the AT Max and the Equinox 800. I would definitely say go with the Equinox. It is newer technology and you will be happy with that decision. It does require some getting used to and is not a turn on and go machine like the AT series. The depth is superior on the equinox! The equinox has the multiple frequencies, adjustable tones and configurations, the three level backlighting, rechargeable battery, and it weighs a whole lot less.

Last edited:

I used one for one summer. The worst id numbers I have ever saw. On the plus side It is very light weight...

Lots of folks downplaying the fact that the equinox has many faulty issues,, speaker cuts out, coil ears breaking, wobbly shaft, waterlogged , etc..Hell, they even cut corners on somthing as simple as including a writer owners manual so you think they went the extra mile in build quality? Lol...And that's just what we're seeing posted from a few dozen users on the forums,,imagine the thousands of people worldwide who own that machine and aren't on the forums having the same issues....I think minelab itself has obsoleted the equinox with poor design , I wouldn't buy another.

Don't listen to all the FUD, you'll love the NOX 600, never had an issue after running more than 100 hours, I hunt almost every day and amazed how these machines work. I found everything, Gold rings, Silver Rings, bullets, a ton of clad, jewelry. My settings Park 2, I found this setting hits targets deep, 15" to 16" Good luck.

Haven't owned either. But, a search and read through of past Equinox posts will reveal that it's probably the best metal detector ever made. Folks really seem to love that machine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom