CW relic Question for AT Pro detectorists

Missouri Mule

I have an opportunity to search for a little known Missouri Civil War battle site, a failed ambush by Union troops on some of Quantrill's men left at the end of the war, which occurred on May 23, 1865. Private Madison S. Walker, a Union soldier, was killed. It is located about 15 minutes from where I live. This makes it the last known official battle by troops in the war, and has been documented (from major newspapers of the time).

Now, to find the actual site. The property where this skirmish took place is known, but not the actual location of the ambush. Question: What settings would you use on the AT Pro to find it? I am using the stock coil and thinking of an initial setup to find every kind of target, and then fine tuning from there.

I think it would depend on what's been going on at the site for the last 150 years.
I would probably start wide open until I can get a feel for the site. CW relics can be anything from iron to silver. How I would run would depend on if I was finding large amounts of modern trash and what kind.

Thanks for the reply. It is on a farm, so there is likely to be over 150 years of iron debris. I do believe, however, that the skirmish started in a draw or ravine, so I will commence there. The problem is that the landscapes in these areas change so much depending on how much it has been farmed verses how long it has sat untouched.

Sounds good. BTW, the gentleman in your profile picture, Captain William T. Anderson, died a few miles from where I live. Thanks for the reply.

The battle site I am talking about concerns the men left over from Captain Anderson's company following his death in October of 1864. They were led by Archie Clement who met his Maker in December of 1866.

Haven't used the AT Pro in a while, but I have found a lot of stuff with it "wide open", as the others have suggested.

In fields and woods, I discriminate out 10 and below. Something about the dirt around here (Illinois) that my AT Pro goes nuts if I don't. I dig it all trying to narrow down what I am looking for and then go from there. Ground balance before you start.

My CW buttons looked like can slaw. I wouldn't skip anything on a spot like that. Good luck on you hunt!

I certainly thank all of you for your support and advise. Not sure when the final go ahead will be given, but I am slowly working my way up the learning curve, so as to be ready.

I recently was confronted with the same type of situation down here in Texas. My family owns a ranch where a small battle occurred. To make matters difficult, the fence line property boundary basically cuts the battlefield in half. The fence was likely erected in 1900 and has been replaced and mended since then. I have dug HUNDREDS of fence staples and wire. I have located dozens of fence staples over 5 inches deep. For some reason those suckers dig themselves DEEP compared to any other items in the ground. I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 and just use all metal mode. I am hesitant on discriminating anything out in fear that I would miss something, but it has been a pain in the butt for sure. I pick up all the trash metal so I wont find it again.

This appears to be a moving ambush so I am not sure if there are enough relics concentrated in one area to find some. I will dig up any signal I get and see what comes of it. Thanks for the reply.

will any old maps show old roads? or maybe historic aerials could show up roads in the early 1900's which often were still the same roads in 1864.

ambushes usually take place on roads or trails.

if you find any horse tack that looks old, then hit that area hard.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. From the historical accounts it appears to be a running ambush through a small valley. I am not sure that it even remotely looks like the original place as it has been farmed. I will start out looking for iron signals . . . horse tack, etc.

I would start in coins mode and turn off iron for now. Get all clad, silver, rings etc. out of the ground first. When your confident you got all the good stuff, switch to all iron, no mid or high tones. This will keep your AT from going bonkers trying to signal everything all at once. Just my opinion. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom