First Silver

Top-USMC

Forum Supporter
I found my first two silver pieces today. A small ring and a pendant.
Using the CZ 21 following a coin line about mid-tide on the slope.

The ring (1.2g) is marked 950 and has another inscription in it.

I thought the pendant (1.7g) was junk but dusted off the sand and saw 925 inside a diamond on the reverse. Interesting the gold color I think is brass. It is kind of green along the edges where it meets the silver. I need to get some cleaner to shine them up.

Both are tiny but better than a pulltab or 5 centavos coin. :-)

Hmmm, just realized I hadn't set the date/time on this camera. It is a GoalPro (GoPro knock off) I got in Paraguay so I have something to take to the beach that is (supposedly) waterproof.

Attachments

• 925_SilverPendant.jpg
    925_SilverPendant.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 410
  • 950_SilverRing.jpg
    950_SilverRing.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 381
Very nice! Like was already said, could be platinum. Would that be your first platinum also????

Very nice! Like was already said, could be platinum. Would that be your first platinum also????

Yes, it would be a first.

I thought Platinum was marked with 'PT' then the quality?

I cannot make out the other marks in addition to the name between heart symbols. I'm pretty sure it isn't PT maybe something like U// ?

I initially thought the ring was white gold, under a magnifier even it looks like the rhodium is wearing off and a slight gold tint is showing.

However, I do not see where gold is ever marked '950'.
Thoughts?

Congrats on the finds I'm hoping the ring is platinum but I would think it would weigh more than 1.5 grs. If it were. On the pendant, silver gets those shades when it 1st starts to tarnish. When I suspect items may be silver I rub them with wet sand while detecting and it cleans them considerably.

Congrats on the finds I'm hoping the ring is platinum but I would think it would weigh more than 1.5 grs. If it were. On the pendant, silver gets those shades when it 1st starts to tarnish. When I suspect items may be silver I rub them with wet sand while detecting and it cleans them considerably.

Thanks Felix.

The pendant cleaned up with wet sand as you said. The other metal you can see iin the photo looks yellow. But to me it looks like brass. Where the two join (on the side) is where the green tarnish was.

Hey! Good on ya Top! Some mexican silver is stamped 950...which is better than 925 or Sterling...but yeah, generally Plat or gold is stamped that 950...a guy can tell by the tone off your rig if its one or the other...high tone would be silver...Nice finds there Buddy!
Mud

Top,
Congrats on the finds. The CZ 21 is awesome at finding silver. Oh, that item marked 950 is more than likely platinum.

I gotta agree. If it's marked 950'its platinum. Silver is marked 925 and plat is marked either 850, 900, or 950. Does not have to have a "P" esp on a small thin ring.

I agree with Felix, plat feels like a lead sinker does when you toss it up and it hits the palm of your hand. I would drop it in hydrogen peroxide and see what it does..

I agree with Felix, plat feels like a lead sinker does when you toss it up and it hits the palm of your hand. I would drop it in hydrogen peroxide and see what it does..

What reaction would I be looking for as a reaction in H2O2?

Tim, you have a digital scale. Do a specific density test. I have found it works really well. There's a phone app called "Gold Test" that eliminates the calculations and all you need to do is measure weight before and then in distilled water. There are YouTube videos on doing this without the app but the app simplifies it. Palladium's specific density is 12.02. Since you're ring states 950 I imagine anything around 11 would be good for it. In 10 years of hunting I have never found a palladium ring. I don't think your odds of seeing one again are good.

Tim, you have a digital scale. Do a specific density test. I have found it works really well. There's a phone app called "Gold Test" that eliminates the calculations and all you need to do is measure weight before and then in distilled water. There are YouTube videos on doing this without the app but the app simplifies it. Palladium's specific density is 12.02. Since you're ring states 950 I imagine anything around 11 would be good for it. In 10 years of hunting I have never found a palladium ring. I don't think your odds of seeing one again are good.

See, this is why it is handy to have a HS Teacher / Principle around. To remind you of the things you forgot since then. :-)

Awesome Felix. Specific Gravity result is 12. Seems a bit too pure?

Of course this is only with a one decimal place scale. However, that along with what looks like Palladium marks, I think it is Palladium.

Thoughts?

See, this is why it is handy to have a HS Teacher / Principle around. To remind you of the things you forgot since then. :-)

Awesome Felix. Specific Gravity result is 12. Seems a bit too pure?

Of course this is only with a one decimal place scale. However, that along with what looks like Palladium marks, I think it is Palladium.

Thoughts?
If it has the markings my guess is yes. I wouldn't bother buying an acid test even if it existed. It would probably go bad by the next palladium ring you would find to test it with anyway. I just suggested the SD test as a way to verify it without the added expense of an acid. I don't think a missing decimal is going make or break the results! ;)

If it has the markings my guess is yes. I wouldn't bother buying an acid test even if it existed. It would probably go bad by the next palladium ring you would find to test it with anyway. I just suggested the SD test as a way to verify it without the added expense of an acid. I don't think a missing decimal is going make or break the results! ;)

Pretty cool then, the value isn't that great but I guess they are a fairly rare find. The acid test is using a gold 22k test and looking for a green streak. I was waiting until I found a few precious metals items before buying a kit at all.

Back
Top Bottom