Better day...... or was it?

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Since Joe has all those gold tickets i thought id take his advice and get some sleep. Up at 4:30 ready to hit the beach with Tim at 7. We hit it hard for 8 hours. Not sure what all time got..... but we was digging junk and not a lot of that. I ended the day with 2 silvers...... a toe ring and a small ringer smaller than the toe ring. We always get a hand full of crusted coins.

The came THE ring...... nice color nice weight. Look inside it says PL 950.... yes. BUT there was more writing...... EGF by Coge..... SS PL950:?: This is a first for me...... ive gotten several gold and SS.... but never PL. So..... did a have a good day??? Anyone else came across one of these?

Dew

Attachments

• 20161019_180655.jpg
    20161019_180655.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 532
I am not sure on the mark, but you found an awesome ring, and something to research... my initial guess is platinum, but I'm not precious metals expert.

Either way CONGRATS ON YOUR RING AND A BETTER DAY!

:dingding: Oh that's a lovely one! MUCHO congrats!!

Dew, we made ALOT of swings in the water today,,,,,,,,actually was 8 1/2 hours for me and 9 hours for you,,,,,it was a beautiful day with no waves, no RT,,,,,,only problem was it was nadda for me,,,,:laughing:I had no ring at all today,,,,,first hunt without even a junk ring since I can remember,,,,,,take was 2 silver earrings, 3 pair of sunglasses, and good amount of crusty coins,,,,,don't even try to guess how many pull tabs we dug,,,,,oddly I dug zero bottlecaps today,,,,,,I say you made out,,,,I seen the ring, felt the weight and it is definitely a few gs of PLAT,,,,,cut the band off, weigh it and give us the report,,,,:laughing:always great to hunt with you,,,,,great unique piece of treasure there friend,,,,,GL HH

1-800-370-2646 give them a call

I would call them,.......... until then I would call it a Great save! BUt keep us updated.. always interested in different marks..

According to the COGE website, in 2010 they released a line of jewelry with a patented Stainless Steel and Palladium alloy.

Hes right PD or PALL is for Palladium. This is PL.... Platinum. There is no band Tim.... its grooved to appear as a band unlike those gold spinner type. It sure doesnt have that tin sound when dropped on the concrete.:laughing:

OK..........its official, ive got someone else life this week..... im ready to give it back. Driving to the beach this morning someone thru a rock and put a large crack across my windshield...... which also has my $55 beach sticker that only be scrapped off and they wont replace them. Starting to wonder....... who i made mad....:laughing:

Last edited:
Thats a great find! PT is for sure the symbol for Plat...PD would be for Palladium...I'd say You got some sort of Plat there...

Either way, as far as precious metals go, Plat and PD both have a higher value than Silver...Plat is $943 and PD is $638 per oz as of today...So thats a great find!
Mud

update: Oh...PL? why the hell did they use those letters?...never mind! more coffee over here Shirley!

According to the COGE website, in 2010 they released a line of jewelry with a patented Stainless Steel and Palladium alloy.
Figuring out the specific gravity, which is not too hard to do if you own a gram scale, would give you a rough estimate as to the purity of the palladium. You can get fairly accurate if your comfortable with numbers/algebra. I worked out a formula that would give the actual weight of the palladium in the alloy. If your not familiar with either I'd be willing to walk you through it or run the numbers.
I've been using specific gravity to check all my finds lately and have found a few chunks of silver mixed in the "grey matter" pile. It's safer than just using an acid test, as your able to detect plated metal and fakes. I recently went through my marked finds and was able to confirm the karat rating and type of metal (for gold, 9k, 10k,14k,18k in white, yellow, or rose) with the specific gravity of each being right on the money to the quoted values.
The formula is a bit limited, though I recently used it to calculate the carat weight of a larger diamond mounted in a platinum setting. To use the formula, you need to know the exact contents of the ring, and it's limited to just 2 variables, like diamond and 950 platinum, or in your case, 950 palladium and stainless.

Figuring out the specific gravity, which is not too hard to do if you own a gram scale, would give you a rough estimate as to the purity of the palladium. You can get fairly accurate if your comfortable with numbers/algebra. I worked out a formula that would give the actual weight of the palladium in the alloy. If your not familiar with either I'd be willing to walk you through it or run the numbers.
I've been using specific gravity to check all my finds lately and have found a few chunks of silver mixed in the "grey matter" pile. It's safer than just using an acid test, as your able to detect plated metal and fakes. I recently went through my marked finds and was able to confirm the karat rating and type of metal (for gold, 9k, 10k,14k,18k in white, yellow, or rose) with the specific gravity of each being right on the money to the quoted values.
The formula is a bit limited, though I recently used it to calculate the carat weight of a larger diamond mounted in a platinum setting. To use the formula, you need to know the exact contents of the ring, and it's limited to just 2 variables, like diamond and 950 platinum, or in your case, 950 palladium and stainless.

I have used specific gravity to prove and disprove some of my gold finds. I use a free app on my phone called "Gold Test". I input weights and it tells me.

Wow.... even worse.... you guys are right its PALL. Which is a Harding process like ROD over the SS. There is no band Tim.... its grooved to appear as a band unlike those gold spinner type. ANOTHER junker..... but at least it doesnt have that tin sound when dropped on the concrete.:laughing:

That is horrible news Dew,,,,,and it came fairly early in the hunt so all day you that you had a keeper,,,,I was sure that was a band of Plat around it,,,,,I could here two metals swinging over it on the sand,,,,,,,I was wondering about the concrete test last night but we forgot,,,,I think we were exhausted from the long hunt,,,,,at least your silver toe ring is worth about .75 :laughing:,,,amazing how they make all these rings now a days,,,hey, remember that amazing SS/gold etched band I found last hunt,,,:lol:think how well we have done this year if even HALF of all these junkers were gold,,,,,,:lol:GL HH

Thanks all...........and to you TIM, it is Plat and BOTH those rings were silver so i have $1.25.:p By the way that was a killer looking SS ring you got the other day.

Dew

congratulations on the find , you deserved that one after the ordeal you went through the other day , now that you made me jealous I'm ready to head back that way in the near short future . ha ha that is if I can talk gil into it

Back
Top Bottom