Treed Indian

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
We finally got a little rain last night, so with an hour of free time I decided to try hunting a well-worn former school yard. It’s the same site that produced some nice finds last week from a portion of the site that had been scraped by a dozer. But that portion has been reseeded and off-limits until maybe spring, but encouraged by the finds there, I figured it was worth trying the rest of the location.

Not much was going on at first - I was getting a bit of clad (whopping 63¢ total), a somewhat creepy junk ring, and a good amount of junk/iron as I re-train my brain to interpret version 2.0 of the EQ using F2. Honestly, I don’t have enough experience with the new update to express an opinion on whether it’s better or not, but one thing I do know - any copper penny deeper than about 5 or 6” still bounces around way too much. Usually that means a Wheat, but today at the school, it was a couple of deeper copper Memorials - they just bounce around between 20-32 like junk, but still somewhat recognizable as coins because they generally don’t show any iron grunt, and indicate deep. Unfortunately, the same signal often comes up as a square nail.

But towards the end of my hunt time, as I circled a large tree on the site, I got the coil over one of those bouncy 20-32 signals, indicating 5 “shovels” deep...8-10 inches. “Cool,” I thought, “might be a Wheatie!” So I dug down...and dug down...and dug some more. I’m not used to digging deep, especially in a park setting. Just makes me feel self-conscious as I gradually create a dirt pile that would make a backhoe envious! :lol:

Finally, fully 9” down, I got the penny I expected. But as I inspected it through the crud, I realized it was no Wheatie...instead of wheat stalks, I could see a wreath on the back! Indian!! :cool3: She looked badly toasted in field, much like the hopelessly corroded Injun I dug here last week. But clean up at home brought out a beautifully detailed 1889 IHP, with “LIBERTY” prominent in her headband and some feather detail!

There are some goodies to find in this old school yard yet!!

Attachments

• C26876A6-2647-4A5B-9D98-CFA2C49D6C61.jpg
    C26876A6-2647-4A5B-9D98-CFA2C49D6C61.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 655
  • 15EAE972-D2C6-4B25-8B24-C8F93B66B02E.jpg
    15EAE972-D2C6-4B25-8B24-C8F93B66B02E.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 667
  • 260FF2A6-A758-49A3-874C-9A6290AC54AA.jpg
    260FF2A6-A758-49A3-874C-9A6290AC54AA.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 645
  • 321CB8EA-DAD2-4277-B4B0-D68A9870FF48.jpg
    321CB8EA-DAD2-4277-B4B0-D68A9870FF48.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 707
  • 6D9352BC-437E-4840-AD1A-9989F5B80AD3.jpg
    6D9352BC-437E-4840-AD1A-9989F5B80AD3.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 662
  • 07DDB3CE-9FDC-4331-AC16-809DAA1F22AE.jpg
    07DDB3CE-9FDC-4331-AC16-809DAA1F22AE.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 588
  • E2058F74-D19C-4FF0-A934-1450F75FD918.jpg
    E2058F74-D19C-4FF0-A934-1450F75FD918.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 587
  • 661E28E0-9790-42F3-89DB-B1ADC944149C.jpg
    661E28E0-9790-42F3-89DB-B1ADC944149C.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 582
Aw , Man that is one sweet Indian ! Great finds , story and pictures once again . That ring is pretty cool also . My orange handled digger got a workout today as well .

Great find! What brand is your digger, by the way? Does the metal of the blade extend into the handle as one piece?

Nice detail on the IHP. That cleaned up really nice. Cannot wait to see what else you find there.

That IHP is a beauty! Great write up and I don't know I would have been brave enough to dig that mound in a park, so I could feel the fear! Good job following through on a bouncy signal and finding such a lovely coin!
I'll remember it when I'm in a park [emoji28]

Nice coin. I want one. Just being able to get out and hunt would be fun, but finding an Indian here would be a blast. Way to go.

That Indian cleaned up well...congrats on a fine dig!

Thanks CS! I was pleasantly surprised how nice it cleaned and the awesome detail underneath the crud! When I saw all those speckles on both sides out of the hole, I was afraid it was corrosion or the coin had been through a fire - turned out it was just fine sand :cool3:

Aw , Man that is one sweet Indian ! Great finds , story and pictures once again . That ring is pretty cool also . My orange handled digger got a workout today as well .

Thanks Soil! It's definitely one of my finest detailed IHP I've dug, especially from the 1880s! Hope your OHD brought up some nice finds for you as well ;)

Oh yea that's a nice one, congrats!

Thanks cellr! I was thrilled to see that nice detail come out from under the sandy coating!

That is a remarkable Indian !!

the ring reminds me of a theater of pain mask

Thanks, SoOregonMd! Yep, when I first saw that ring it brought out the old metal head in me - couldn't help but think about that Mötley Crüe album as soon as I saw it...the ring certainly rang up "Louder than Hell" :lol:

The ring is certainly supposed to represent the tragedy side from the Comedy and Tragedy masks used to symbolize the theater arts. I had to look 'em up...apparently they have names! Melpomene is the muse that represents tragedy...first time I learned something from a junk ring :lol:

A beautiful Indian Ben. Great job with the cleaning. Really love that detail. Congrats! Trapper

Thanks Trapper! She made my cleaning job easy - lots of detail underneath that sandy crust! All I needed was a couple toothpicks and some patience with this one :)

Great find! What brand is your digger, by the way? Does the metal of the blade extend into the handle as one piece?

Thanks! My Treasure Wise digger has the one-piece construction which is good as I have a bad habit of prying when I dig. Broke one TW after months of abuse, #2 still going strong.

You've probably seen from waltr's post that the hand digger is an A. M. Leonard version of a hori hori garden knife. I absolutely love hori hori's for working in parks, lawns, really anywhere with decent turf. Plugs cut fast, with immaculate edges, and minimal root damage. I believe the blade tang extends all the way into the handle (traditional for a good hori hori), but now that I've went looking to confirm that, I don't see it specifically mentioned on their website. I, too, have a bad habit of prying occasionally as I dig, and I actually broke 2 hori hori knives from a different manufacturer that were definitely full tang - snapped the blades between the 5 and 6" mark on both of those. I switched to the A. M. Leonard version in mid-June, and so far it's tolerated all my abuses with no problems.

Nice! Thanks for all the details on your hunt. I’m still wrestling with IDing deep targets with the Nox

No problem Banjo! Glad you enjoyed it! Don't worry, I'm still struggling a little with deep targets too...just as I thought I was getting it figured out, Minelab updated the software and I'm back to digging fist fulls of rusty nails again :lol: But I really do feel like I've made a break through with the machine now that I've had the chance to dig a few deeper signals that really were coins. What helped me a ton was doing a little beach hunting on a relatively clean, iron free beach this summer - I managed to dig a lot of 8-10" coins, learned what they sounded like, and that carried over very well into my usual dirt digging.

For me, the deeper coins do not have a solid VDI at all, but the tones still are distinctly coin-like...in other words, the tones remain high with very little, if any, iron grunts introduced as I circle a target. Tones are compact and have smooth transitions compared to junk as I sweep the target. I'm sure I'm walking over deep targets still, especially those that are masked, but I feel like I'm definitely learning...and I'm digging far more "deep" coins with this machine than my previous ones.

That IHP is a beauty! Great write up and I don't know I would have been brave enough to dig that mound in a park, so I could feel the fear! Good job following through on a bouncy signal and finding such a lovely coin!
I'll remember it when I'm in a park [emoji28]

Thanks Mike! Oh, I know...a pile like that definitely gets me feeling conspicuous in any setting other than a field! And in all honesty, I was darn close to giving up on the signal. When I start getting much below 6", I start to genuinely worry about whether I'm going to be able to stuff all the dirt back in without a soil tamper!! Depending on the soil, it can be a real challenge to get it all back in without leaving a pitcher's mound behind :shock: In this case, the soil was nice, perfectly moist sandy loam - easy to compact into place and return to original grade by hand. Also, it's hard to see in the pics, but half of the plug was in the bald patch from around the tree, so I knew I had some leeway if I needed it :yes:

Back
Top Bottom