Virgin Parks - It appears they still exist!

sandgroper

Elite Member
Hey everyone, thought I’d share a hunt I had with a friend of mine last week…

We were planning on hunting a park at night that we had previously done before and did quite well at (my friend found an 1829 half penny there), but we decided to meet up a bit earlier and try a few vacant house sites before it gets dark. I found a few sites on maps, and suggested we meet up at a park and go from there. So that’s we did, we met up at a small park in a 1920’s neighbourhood that I’d found on maps, and decided before trying the house sites, we’ll give the park a quick go too.

That was a good decision, because the next four or five hours was spent digging up coin after coin. Most of which were old pennies and halfpennies in pretty miserable condition, but they’re still fun to find. I also dug up a beautiful commemorative florin (1927), that I managed to scratch (of course). These early florins are all 0.925 silver. Only two million were minted of this commemorative type, which at the time was quite high compared to other years, but it’s not much compared to the millions minted each year from the 1940’s to the early 1960’s.

I found a few more silvers, including an 1890’s sixpence, don’t know what that is doing in a 1920’s park, but my friend also found an 1826 halfpenny there, so we think there may’ve been an old homesite there. After spending a few hours at this park, and having found around three dozen old coins between us, we decided to try anther nearby park and a few of the house sites. We didn’t find much at the other park (kind of surprising given how well we did at the other one), but my friend found a few medallions at the house sites.

Once it got dark, we moved onto the last park, but didn’t find as much as we’d hoped. Still, I found an Australian Federal Police (AFP) badge which is quite cool, and another florin (1943). It is very rare that I find more than one florin in a hunt, and even rarer that both are 92.5% silver (usually they’re only 50%).

I’m looking forward to getting back to the ‘virgin’ park, this has been one of my most successful days for old coins, so I’m excited to see what else is there. Thank you for looking and good luck out there!

Attachments

• IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 809
  • IMG_4265.jpg
    IMG_4265.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 790
  • IMG_4267.jpg
    IMG_4267.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_4269.jpg
    IMG_4269.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 678
  • IMG_4270.jpg
    IMG_4270.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 679
  • IMG_4271.jpg
    IMG_4271.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 692
  • IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 691
  • IMG_4273.jpg
    IMG_4273.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_4274.jpg
    IMG_4274.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 685
  • IMG_4275.jpg
    IMG_4275.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 661
  • IMG_4276.jpg
    IMG_4276.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 682
  • IMG_4277.jpg
    IMG_4277.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 673
  • g54842.jpg
    g54842.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_4278.jpg
    IMG_4278.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 692
Good post. Good pix.

A buddy of mine moved to Australia about ~15 yrs. ago, and was surprised to find some virgin sites. At one particular site (a park /grassy field near a light house beach area), he even got a gold coin. So he slowed down, after that, and dug scores of other mid and low conductors. But alas, the rest were all tabs, copper doohickies , etc.... But based on the abundance of 1920s to 1950s type common Australian coins, he got the feeling that no one had really been doing turf over there.

I guess the average Australian md'rs tend to be nugget hunters, not coin/relic guys, eh ?

Some great hunting sandy for sure . Congrats on the Silvers and all the rest. It is not often when you find a great location the has a good amount of great old targets. Looks like you have found a really good one. Trapper

Wow. killer hunts!

To find all those pennies and pences, and florins. oh my!!

Seriously, that's a cool park! Go back for more!

Good post. Good pix.

A buddy of mine moved to Australia about ~15 yrs. ago, and was surprised to find some virgin sites. At one particular site (a park /grassy field near a light house beach area), he even got a gold coin. So he slowed down, after that, and dug scores of other mid and low conductors. But alas, the rest were all tabs, copper doohickies , etc.... But based on the abundance of 1920s to 1950s type common Australian coins, he got the feeling that no one had really been doing turf over there.

I guess the average Australian md'rs tend to be nugget hunters, not coin/relic guys, eh ?

Thanks Tom. Yes most Aussie are more into the nuggets. There's still a fair few coin/relic hunters too, it's become pretty popular here in the past year or two.

Wow, very nice park hunt! Sure wish they were al like that!

Thanks, and I agree that'd be nice if all hunts were like this

Some great hunting sandy for sure . Congrats on the Silvers and all the rest. It is not often when you find a great location the has a good amount of great old targets. Looks like you have found a really good one. Trapper

Thanks Trapper. Was a good hunt, hope to get out there tomorrow or Friday.

Wow. killer hunts!

To find all those pennies and pences, and florins. oh my!!

Seriously, that's a cool park! Go back for more!

Thanks Skippy, I'll be back there very soon :)

I really like the commemorative florin! Congrats on a great hunt!

Thank you! :)

Just when I thought I hit all the parks around here, I found a virgin park yesterday. Pulled $20.04 of clad in 3.5 hours!!

Nox dude

Great story, Australia has great gold hunting and very good folks. Now I find out that you have parks just for virgins. That country totally amazes me, what will they come up with next? :gottaluv:

Great story. It's encouraging to know that such virgins still exist (parks that is :lol:). Congratulations on a very nice hunt!

That is a ton of awesome finds! I love the Palmolive good for one cake token!

Best of luck when you get back to that park and thanks for sharing!

Score! You guys had a great haul, after all was said and done! Silvers, tokens, medallions, coinage, and a PoPo badge? I mean, Wow! The bent medallion/pendant is of Saint Christopher; in case you didn't already know. Your Palmolive token is good for one cake when you buy one. That's better than the "get one cake when you buy two cakes" Palmolive token I found the other day...on the other side of the planet! :lol:

So that Federal Police Association badge: Is that a real authoritative Fed badge, or more of an association membership pin?

Just when I thought I hit all the parks around here, I found a virgin park yesterday. Pulled $20.04 of clad in 3.5 hours!!

Nox dude

Funny how you sometimes overlook the smaller parks, I'm glad I gave this one a try.

Great story, Australia has great gold hunting and very good folks. Now I find out that you have parks just for virgins. That country totally amazes me, what will they come up with next? :gottaluv:

Thanks mate :laughing:

Congrats on the silver!!

Thanks metaladdict!:)

Very nice! Congrats on all the silver! Go clean that park out before everyone else shows up haha.

Thank you Chris :grin:

amazing finds!
I especially like that World War I medallion:D

Thanks, they're pretty cool. I showed it to my friend after I dug it up and he said he'd always wanted to find one too. His first signal at the next site ended up being one of these medallions. Funny coincidence.

Great story. It's encouraging to know that such virgins still exist (parks that is :lol:). Congratulations on a very nice hunt!

Thanks...hoping there's a few more around ;)

That is a ton of awesome finds! I love the Palmolive good for one cake token!

Best of luck when you get back to that park and thanks for sharing!

Thanks Mike, shame it's a bit crusty, but it's cool to find something different .

CONGRATULATIONS on ALL the silver! WHAT A GREAT HUNT.

Thank you, was a good day for silvers :)

Score! You guys had a great haul, after all was said and done! Silvers, tokens, medallions, coinage, and a PoPo badge? I mean, Wow! The bent medallion/pendant is of Saint Christopher; in case you didn't already know. Your Palmolive token is good for one cake when you buy one. That's better than the "get one cake when you buy two cakes" Palmolive token I found the other day...on the other side of the planet! :lol:

So that Federal Police Association badge: Is that a real authoritative Fed badge, or more of an association membership pin?

Thanks Foragist. I didn't know that was Saint Christopher, but I do now :lol:. When I dug it up I knew it was a religious medallion, but that's about it. It's silver too. That token is cool, I don't often find tokens, so I'm happy with that one too.

The AFP Association is an association which represents all the members of the AFP, so it sorta is an official thing. But I don't know if Federal Police officers wear them on their uniform, I'll have to have a look next time I see one of those officers.

Fantastic hunting!

Thanks mate :)

Back
Top Bottom