Minelab Geocoin

I submit a request for one but nothing has ever arrived and now they claim to be out.

I think most people are just keeping them instead of activating and placing them.

They should give you one to keep as a souvenir and another to plant.

Also it sounds like the coins are just being placed into normal caches. Not buried in the dirt like we would do it. Geocaching tokens are used to track movement, and not usually keepsakes.

I am not sure that geocaching and metal detecting mix well in this instance. You have us, metal detectorist that horde our finds, and they expect us to take a precious Minelab token and give it away in a geocache box for someone else to take?

I like the idea of cross seeding the two hobbies so you have Geocachers buying MDs and MDers getting into Geocaching, but Minelab is going to have the up their budget for these Geocaching tokens exponentially, because we are going to want to keep one.

Agreed. Although I do have many geocoins I keep as a collection. I have "treasure hunting" coins and SCUBA coins. The "Compass Rose" series are just magnificent and I have many of the first years. All my coins have been bought directly, not stolen from a cache. Once a coin is activated and dropped into a cache, it's considered stealing to keep it, but it happens. I think every single geocoin I launched in the states has been stolen, but some of mine I launched in Iraq are still traveling around Europe. It's cool to see the emails when it gets moved and logged, as well as see its movements on the map and log of miles traveled.

I think that Minelab should make some more and make them MD specific. That way Geocachers would have to find a local MDer to help them find it. Unless they do both like myself. Kind of a seated hunt cache mix. Or they could plant them in actual caches that are buried. I can see mixing the two hobbies.

The problem is that burying any caches is a violation of game rules. If you have to use anything to "dig" them out, it's in violation.

Simply burying a coin means it will most likely be found by a non-geocacher, who will never log the find and simply toss it into a collection of other "stuff".

I think that Minelab should make some more and make them MD specific. That way Geocachers would have to find a local MDer to help them find it. Unless they do both like myself. Kind of a seated hunt cache mix. Or they could plant them in actual caches that are buried. I can see mixing the two hobbies.

The problem is that burying any caches is a violation of game rules. If you have to use anything to "dig" them out, it's in violation.

Simply burying a coin means it will most likely be found by a non-geocacher, who will never log the find and simply toss it into a collection of other "stuff".

Minelab should start their own variation of the sport on their website. Give it a new name, (Coin Shooting) CS Cache, Treasure Cache, Dig Cache, Minelab Cache, Gopher Cache... Where the coin's location is logged in and the MDer moves it and logs the new location, totally independent of existing caches.

They still need to tie this into the existing Geocaching website, so maybe it should be handled there, but with its own subset of rules, the coins could even be moved to existing geocaches from the dirt, and viceversa...

What kind of material could handle being in the dirt and still look good after being moved back to a dry cache? Maybe brass with a clear ceramic coating?

That was my thinking more of a new type of cache. If you realize that there are already 15-20 different kinds of caches then whats the big deal with adding a new one?

I ran a geo-cache hunt about a year ago. I buried things like a silver Mercury and then posted the gps cordinates. That got you close and then had to use your detector to actually find it. Finders keepers. It went over good for a while but died out so I haven't planted any more.

That was my thinking more of a new type of cache. If you realize that there are already 15-20 different kinds of caches then whats the big deal with adding a new one?

Groundspeak is very much against burying geocaches. It's extremely unlikely that they would even go for something like that. I'd go so far as to say it'd never happen. They're trying to maintain a good image with landowners, and having finders going around digging a bunch of holes (non-metal-detecting-geocachers will surely try to find these also) wouldn't put geocaching in a good light.

Also, there are only 8 different kinds of geocaches that are currently able to be publised... And of those, only 4 are physical containers. In fact, those 4 are the only types of physical caches that ever existed. A few cache types have been archived (webcam and virtual are the first that come to mind) but still, neither of them included physical containers.

EDIT: Here's a rundown of all the cache types: http://www.geocaching.com/about/cache_types.aspx

If Minelab wanted to start their own game with buried caches, that's one thing. But I don't think Groundspeak would ever allow them to be published on their website.

We are avid geocachers and are anxiously awaiting receipt of our trackable coin! For what it's worth the coin and its cross marketing is ultimately what pushed me into further MD'ing research and led to the purchase of, albeit Garrett, merchandise...so I think that in terms of broadening their hobbyist base it was successful!

The purpose of these coins, and all "trackable" items is really, to move from cache to cache racking up mileage, photos and stories. Some items have goals and Minelabs is not the first to try cross-marketing with Geico, Jeep, Lands End and even recently a neat Gold Bar advertising John Grishams latest book! As someone said above, technically these *COULD* be kept in a personal collection, their functional purpose really is to be shared and allow others to collect the items icon and one of their discovered trackable types.

We will post a photo and a link to its page to track its movements when we receive it!

Here is the geocoin.

minelab geocoin.jpg

i was to late to get one to bad ive been geocaching over 10 years now and been to lots of great sites oh well guess ill wait n see to find one now

We are avid geocachers and are anxiously awaiting receipt of our trackable coin! For what it's worth the coin and its cross marketing is ultimately what pushed me into further MD'ing research and led to the purchase of, albeit Garrett, merchandise...so I think that in terms of broadening their hobbyist base it was successful!

That's exactly what happened to me. I found out about the coin in the geocaching forums, but they were sold out by the time I tried to get one. But I looked into MD'ing a little bit... And here I am!

Back
Top Bottom