i'm pretty sure that i know where a cache is located in fort worth

river rat01

hey guys, just found this forum.

i've been a detectorist off and on over the years, the best one i used to have was a whites XLT that i dont have any more.

i just have a crappy bounty hunter now.

but anyway, not many people have heard of this treasure known as the william riddle treasure.
i'm in sfw only a few miles from the location and after a lot of research involving an old fort worth city map from the 1800's & overlaying it on a present day map, i believe i have located william riddles land where he is said to have buried it.

here's the story: In the early 1890's William Riddle is thought to have witnessed a stagecoach holdup near his farm and saw where the outlaws hid the strongbox. It is supposed to have contained thousands of dollars in gold coins. He uncovered it and hid it on his property.
One night some time later he had a shoot out with two men who were probably the same outlaws coming to look for their stolen gold. William woke his family in the middle of the night, herded them to the cellar and told them not to come out until he came back for them. Minutes later they heard the shooting. The only injury sustained was to the horse of one of the men.
The two men escaped. No one knows what became of the gold. Stories in the family suggest that it is still buried on his property west of Crowley, Texas. In 1939 a great search was undertaken by his descendants to uncover the gold shortly before his property was sold. Dynamite and a metal detector were used but no treasure was ever found.

i have other info on the location that i did not include.

now the bad news is i think the land may be owned by barnett shale because there is a drill rig nearby. and i know damn well that they wont give me permission. even if its not owned by them i dont know how to find out who owns the property.

sooo if anyone out there in cowtown wants to help with getting permission with me to hunt this site, let me know

it would be great if we could get a small group of hunters together and find this cache. i'm not greedy either, even spilt all the way.

it just eats at me every day knowing that there may be all that gold & silver just sittin in the ground only a few miles away from me when i sure could be enjoying it!

now the bad news is i think the land may be owned by barnett shale because there is a drill rig nearby. and i know damn well that they wont give me permission. even if its not owned by them i dont know how to find out who owns the property.

Whoever owns the property pays taxes on it and that is a matter of public record. Just mosey on over to the county tax assessor's office and find out from them.

Hmmm.....metal. detectors and dynamite.....sounds vaugly familiar.......where have I heard that.....hhmmmm.........I think.....BOOM BABY......:laughing::laughing::laughing:

But how do you know it hasn't already been found? If you could research and figure it out what makes you think 100 other intelligent people haven't done the same thing ...only years ago. I think a lot of stuff like that has already been found, but people are just smart and keep their mouth shut. If I found something like that nobody would know about it!

But how do you know it hasn't already been found? If you could research and figure it out what makes you think 100 other intelligent people haven't done the same thing ...only years ago. I think a lot of stuff like that has already been found, but people are just smart and keep their mouth shut. If I found something like that nobody would know about it!

your right, lets all just stay home from now on.

I'm 7 miles west of Crowley...
Sonnydigs

hey guys, just found this forum.

i've been a detectorist off and on over the years, the best one i used to have was a whites XLT that i dont have any more.

i just have a crappy bounty hunter now.

but anyway, not many people have heard of this treasure known as the william riddle treasure.
i'm in sfw only a few miles from the location and after a lot of research involving an old fort worth city map from the 1800's & overlaying it on a present day map, i believe i have located william riddles land where he is said to have buried it.

here's the story: In the early 1890's William Riddle is thought to have witnessed a stagecoach holdup near his farm and saw where the outlaws hid the strongbox. It is supposed to have contained thousands of dollars in gold coins. He uncovered it and hid it on his property.
One night some time later he had a shoot out with two men who were probably the same outlaws coming to look for their stolen gold. William woke his family in the middle of the night, herded them to the cellar and told them not to come out until he came back for them. Minutes later they heard the shooting. The only injury sustained was to the horse of one of the men.
The two men escaped. No one knows what became of the gold. Stories in the family suggest that it is still buried on his property west of Crowley, Texas. In 1939 a great search was undertaken by his descendants to uncover the gold shortly before his property was sold. Dynamite and a metal detector were used but no treasure was ever found.

sooo if anyone out there in cowtown wants to help with getting permission with me to hunt this site, let me know

it would be great if we could get a small group of hunters together and find this cache. i'm not greedy either, even spilt all the way.

it just eats at me every day knowing that there may be all that gold & silver just sittin in the ground only a few miles away from me when i sure could be enjoying it!

searched the Riddle Ranch site

I went to Riddle ranch last summer and spent about 4 hours there to no avail. It was a very hot day I was miserable and thought my girlfriend was not going to make it back. It's still a working cattle ranch. I searched old land marks like old trees, large boulders, and unusual mounds/depressions ect then spiraled out away from it staying away from creeks and the stock tank run off but did search the earth dam a bit. Thinking that an old country guy knows better than to bury something that could potentially get washed out. The cattle was a pain dealing with because I'd chase the from a tree then they'd stampede off then run right back.
Found buried old rusted cans shot gun shell brass. After I left I noticed just a mile or two east of the ranch is a historical landmark sign that tells of a stagecoach robbery. I am absolutely positive that was the ranch according to turn of the century property maps, old 1950's aerial photos prior to Benbrook lake being made which changed the creeks some but I'm positive I was on it.

I went to Riddle ranch last summer and spent about 4 hours there to no avail. It was a very hot day I was miserable and thought my girlfriend was not going to make it back. It's still a working cattle ranch. I searched old land marks like old trees, large boulders, and unusual mounds/depressions ect then spiraled out away from it staying away from creeks and the stock tank run off but did search the earth dam a bit. Thinking that an old country guy knows better than to bury something that could potentially get washed out. The cattle was a pain dealing with because I'd chase the from a tree then they'd stampede off then run right back.
Found buried old rusted cans shot gun shell brass. After I left I noticed just a mile or two east of the ranch is a historical landmark sign that tells of a stagecoach robbery. I am absolutely positive that was the ranch according to turn of the century property maps, old 1950's aerial photos prior to Benbrook lake being made which changed the creeks some but I'm positive I was on it.

I saw you arriving. I was that guy in the beat up ford van that passed you near the ranch. Had a map, shovel, Atpro, and a big wooden box full of Gold coins in the back I'd jus dug up.....so the shows over..........:)

Back
Top Bottom