Evening Montana dig - Seated, Postal Telegraph Button & more!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
Had to head up to Missoula to recycle an old computer monitor late this afternoon, so thought I'd bring the AT Pro and see if I could get in a couple of hours detecting.

I headed back to the same neighborhood where MTtrashdigger and I had a good hunt this last Saturday. As I parked my car, I happened to see a couple of homeowners out talking on the sidewalk, both homes were places that we tried on Saturday but could not catch anyone home. The large corner home was built in the 1930's, and the fancy home next to it dated from 1910. I was grateful to receive permission at both houses and went right to work!

The coins and relics were not real thick, I did give some teens wheat pennies to both homeowners, and found some good keepers. Best coins found included a 1883 Seated Dime (a rare find here in Montana!), a 1947 Silver Rosie, a 1903 Liberty Head Nickel, and some teens and newer wheat pennies that I kept. I did find a couple of really cool oddities, a gold washed POSTAL TELEGRAPH CO. button that looks quite old, and some sort of medallion showing the UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT BUILDING on one side, and the MANUFACTURERS BUILDING on the other side. Not silver, but some sort of white metal that is a bit corroded. That Seated Dime was deep (and worn), I barely got it with the Pro, thankfully I just had a slight faint high tone that got a little smoother as I crammed the coil into the grass to get it as close to the actual soil as I could.

I ended up having a fun evening hunt, good weather with temps in the high 60's and perfect for detecting. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 417
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 392
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 368
  • coin4.jpg
    coin4.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 383
  • coin5.jpg
    coin5.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 360
  • coin6.jpg
    coin6.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
Awesome permissions. Congrats on a fine hunt, the silver, especially the seated. Still looking for my first. The button is a cool find and the token/fob is a great save. I clean those by soaking in Zymol cleaner wax and use an old toothbrush, once or twices I had to use 4 ought steel wool (keep it wet) on the more corroded ones. Most clean up nice. Good luck, Mark

Wow killer finds!

Thank you coin whisperer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You found some good silvers there, especially with that nice seated...congrats!

Thanks JAK!

Awesome permissions. Congrats on a fine hunt, the silver, especially the seated. Still looking for my first. The button is a cool find and the token/fob is a great save. I clean those by soaking in Zymol cleaner wax and use an old toothbrush, once or twices I had to use 4 ought steel wool (keep it wet) on the more corroded ones. Most clean up nice. Good luck, Mark

Thank you Mark, I really like that button! Appreciate your tips for cleaning my items!

Some mighty fine digging David. Congrats on adding the rare Seated to you coffers. All the rest is pretty darn nice also. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! Am about ready to quit posting stories and pics about my finds. Only about 2-3% of the folks who read the stories on the Forum even bother with a comment. You and some others are very good and consistent about encouraging others, and I try to do the same for the other posts. Sad that there is so little actual participation by the vast majority.

Thanks Trapper! Am about ready to quit posting stories and pics about my finds. Only about 2-3% of the folks who read the stories on the Forum even bother with a comment. You and some others are very good and consistent about encouraging others, and I try to do the same for the other posts. Sad that there is so little actual participation by the vast majority.
Stay positive David. If for no other reason that your threads are a record of you finds, outings and experiences. The participation of others is out of our control so we just have to go with the flow. Trapper

Stay positive David. If for no other reason that your threads are a record of you finds, outings and experiences. The participation of others is out of our control so we just have to go with the flow. Trapper

Good point Trapper, these posts are records of our finds and memories of what happened and when. Will keep posting. Hoped to get out a bit today but it is supposed to be rainy here for most of the week. Then I am off and won't be able to detect for probably a couple of weeks. I am at 171 silver coins for the year, hoped to reach 200 again, but might just run out of detecting time...

Great hunt! That neighborhood really holds the goodies. The Seated dime has to be the rarest of the rare in our part of the the world. Outstanding save on the button too!

Great hunt! That neighborhood really holds the goodies. The Seated dime has to be the rarest of the rare in our part of the the world. Outstanding save on the button too!

Thank you Montana! In the 2 1/2 years I've detected here, I've only found 3 Seated coins, all dimes. Appreciate your comments, and I really like that button too!

Great history in those finds! The Postal Telegraph Company existed from the 1880's until 1943 when it merged with Western Union. And the medal appears to be from the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition. Very cool. And congratulations on the silvers too!

Great history in those finds! The Postal Telegraph Company existed from the 1880's until 1943 when it merged with Western Union. And the medal appears to be from the 1893 Chicago Columbian Exposition. Very cool. And congratulations on the silvers too!

Thanks FoiledAgain, appreciate your comments and the history of those items! Practically all the items I found were old, very little modern stuff, so your identification makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom