Help Naming YouTube Channel

MichiDigger

Greetings all!

I am not new to detecting but have been out of the hobby for quite a while. I am going to be pulling the trigger soon on a Garrett AT Max. After watching a ton of YouTube videos on the subject, I have been inspired to start my own channel.

I AM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTION FOR A YOUTUBE CHANNEL NAME.

Some information to help:
*My name is Tony.
*I live in mid-Michigan and it will likely be me only (at least for a while).
*The channel will grow around learning the new machine (not necessarily
learning metal detecting but that will be incorporated, too - I am by no
means any kind of expert).
*KEY - every episode will feature hunts at various sites and I will display on
screen the machine's target VDI reading, depth reading, and actual
(approximated) depth. Every hunt will have a detailed Excel spreadsheet
detailing the above, along with a photo and description of the
target and the general ground/soil type. Those lists from each episode will be
available to the public and will feed into an overall 'master list'.
*The channel name should be appealing. When I hand a business card (with
the YouTube channel name) to a homeowner and request permission, I don't
want them to see the name and think, "Huh?" or "Oh hello no!" or "What kind
of knucklehead is this?"

I greatly appreciate any suggestions. This truly is a community full of great people who are passionate about this hobby. Good luck to everyone on their hunts and THANK YOU!

Tony from Michigan

Don't use your name in your YouTube name. There's a guy named "Tony Two-Cent" who has a very good metal detecting channel. Might get confusing if you were also Tony something.

Greetings all!

I am not new to detecting but have been out of the hobby for quite a while. I am going to be pulling the trigger soon on a Garrett AT Max. After watching a ton of YouTube videos on the subject, I have been inspired to start my own channel.

I AM LOOKING FOR SUGGESTION FOR A YOUTUBE CHANNEL NAME.

Tony from Michigan

Glad to have you on the forum and hopefully on YouTube (from a fellow Youtuber myself) soon! AT MAX should be a lot of fun and I know Kellyco includes it in their Top Selling Metal Detectors List and it looks like that includes a pinpointer.

There's so many names you can pick for YouTube, so I'd say keep it true to you and your purpose (metal detecting/educating).

Ideas: "Tony Two Tones" (Kinda sounds like a mafia name :lol:), "Tonys Treasures," "Detecting With Tony," "MichiDigger" (why not keep it the same as forum name? I did for mine), "Detecting Michigan" are just a few ideas to get the ball rolling. No matter what, good luck with the channel and I'll be happy to be one of the 1st subscribers! Cheers! :cheers3:

Last edited:
Glad to have you on the forum and hopefully on YouTube (from a fellow Youtuber myself) soon! AT MAX should be a lot of fun and I know Kellyco includes it in their Top Selling Metal Detectors List and it looks like that includes a pinpointer.

There's so many names you can pick for YouTube, so I'd say keep it true to you and your purpose (metal detecting/educating).

Ideas: "Tony Two Tones" (Kinda sounds like a mafia name :lol:), "Tonys Treasures," "Detecting With Tony," "MichiDigger" (why not keep it the same as forum name? I did for mine), "Detecting Michigan" are just a few ideas to get the ball rolling. No matter what, good luck with the channel and I'll be happy to be one of the 1st subscribers! Cheers! :cheers3:

Thanks! I like some of those. Looking at the below package, which includes the ‘Carrot’, waterproof headphones and other goodies:

https://detectorwarehouse.com/colle...dphones-free-pro-pointer-at-z-lynk-pinpointer

Also, we might have to team up for a hunt or two this year. Your videos are great!

Don't make to much fuzz about it. Your account and your channel can have different names. And you can change that channel name at wish.

Wolverine dirt diggin'

I like that. However, like many places, we have a HUGE in-state rivalry between the University of Michigan ('Wolverines') and Michigan State University ('Spartans'). I don't want to inadvertently put someone off who might otherwise give permission to hunt their land. As silly as that may be, people can be funny that way. The state animal IS the wolverine but most people here associate it with my alma matter. Lol.

Dirt Robber - It’s no crime to find lost dimes [emoji23][emoji2957]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very true - no crime there. However, I'm trying to stay away from anything that might have a negative connotation. I was also given the advice of not to use the word 'dig' (or a derivative thereof) because people will mentally associate that with holes in their lawn. It's ridiculous how careful you have to be these because everyone is so darn sensitive and cynical. SMH...

Don't make to much fuzz about it. Your account and your channel can have different names. And you can change that channel name at wish.

I know I'm probably overthinking it but I like to have things as tight as possible from jump street and for consistency across platforms and branding (biz cards, tee shirts, etc.). Nice to able to make a change but would rather not have to.

Hahahaha, that was a joke, not a serious suggestion. Though personally I would never associate my YouTube channel with permissions unless it’s farm fields you are seeking. Doesn’t matter how careful you dig, some homeowner will see a hole dug and any verbal assurances you gave them that you dig clean plugs goes out the window.

My thinking on linking them is for someone who may be iffy about giving permission. I would direct them to my videos - one of the first of which will be about proper detecting etiquette and the right way to dig/fill plugs. Along the lines of proactive versus reactive.

Wolverine Digger (edit: oops someone already mentioned this)
Great Lakes State Digger
Great Lakes State Detecting
Diggin Michigan with Tony

Definitely report back on how that works out for you, interested to see if that helps or hurts your yes rate.

Will do. Trying to mentally walk through such a conversation where someone would say they don’t want holes in their yard. I can tell them and reassure them but I think it would be helpful to SHOW them. Also, the more videos that clearly indicate that a property owner gave permission plays into the theory of ‘social proof’. The more people who give permission, the more likely anyone will be to do the same.

Don’t use dig in your name. Use something along the lines of relic recovery.

A good tip to make your videos worth subscribing/watching, let the viewer hear the tones before you dig not just show the vid. Mention what to listen for in the tones that you’re showing. For example the shirts, double beeps, long beeps etc. Explain things for new people to like lifting your coil to see if that good signal is actually a large signal.

Don’t use dig in your name. Use something along the lines of relic recovery.

A good tip to make your videos worth subscribing/watching, let the viewer hear the tones before you dig not just show the vid. Mention what to listen for in the tones that you’re showing. For example the shirts, double beeps, long beeps etc. Explain things for new people to like lifting your coil to see if that good signal is actually a large signal.

Definitely staying away from the word ‘dog’. Great advice! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom