2019 Nickel and Wheat Penny books

ToySoldier

Forum Supporter
Keeping a wheat penny book keeps things interesting when I 'just' find a wheat cent and get it home to see if it's a date I'm missing. My wheat penny book started in early 2019, and after doing my nickel heavy 2019 wrap up I thought I'd order a 1938-1961 nickel book, clean up the nickels, and see how many dates/mints I covered. I estimated that I had about 50 nickels in that date range out of nearly 300.

I nearly covered all of the years, and did cover the war nickel years, but not even half of all variations. My least common war time nickel was a '43d and least common non-war nickel was a '53s.

So, should I start over each year and see how far I can get? Or, keep these books and just keep adding to them? On one hand, if I start over I have a lot of keepers at first. On the other hand, completing one book (each) would be pretty cool.

Happy hunting!

Attachments

• 2019 dug nickels.jpg
    2019 dug nickels.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 255
  • 2019 dug wheat pennies small.jpg
    2019 dug wheat pennies small.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Nice collection Toy Soldier! I keep a wheat penny book, just one book for my three years of detecting. I still need the 09-S, 09-S VDB, and the 31-S along with about 3 more dates. I agree, it does add a bit of excitement when digging wheaties to see if I can add one more to my book.

That is a good idea. Not sure of the answer to your question though. If you started fresh each year you may never know exactly which ones you need to complete the "full" collection. Know what i mean? I would probably keep it going until it is totally full, and if you dig better looking wheats you already have you can swap out the last one for the better condition penny. I think this method would really get your excitement up as your book becomes more complete and you need fewer and the most elusive to finish it!

I wish I did this when I started detecting! But now I've got 50 lbs of wheats to sort through and 2 kids that don't give me the time to do something like that haha.

.........But now I've got 50 lbs of wheats to sort through and 2 kids that don't give me the time to do something like that haha.

I'll probably keep these two books going.

My youngest daughter helped me sort the nickels and pick the keeper of each variation. She could already tell a war nickel from a regular Jefferson, which is obviously a critical life skill.

Nice collection Toy Soldier! I keep a wheat penny book, just one book for my three years of detecting. I still need the 09-S, 09-S VDB, and the 31-S along with about 3 more dates. I agree, it does add a bit of excitement when digging wheaties to see if I can add one more to my book.

Nice! I have a dig wheat penny book I’ve been working on too. Just missing a few now.

Thanks! It really goes to show just how rare some of these coins can be to find when we dig hundreds/thousands of them dropped when they were still commonly in circulation.

I did read that nickel collecting had become pretty popular during the early Jefferson nickel years, and key dates were pretty much immediately pulled from circulation. So finding some of those key date Jefferson nickels might prove to be next to impossible.

Back
Top Bottom