Questions re: Lesche shovel length, serrations, etc

k2gleaner

Elite Member
My wife stunned me tonight by giving me a long skinny box under the tree. Inside was a 31" Lesche and the digging tool. Couldn't believe it. I thought she was tired of this new hobby already.

Anyway, I was surprised how short the shovel seemed overall and how small the digging part (blade?) was. I thought it was a mistake. But looking at them online more closely, it seems right. I was also surprised at how it's put together.

There is no brand marked on the shovel it seems - just a sticker with two Ws. I'd expect to see Lesche on it. FWIW, Lesche is stamped into the handguard of the digging tool.

I'm 6'4" and if I hold the T-handle loosely in my hand and stand straight, I'd say the blade is two inches off the ground. No dragging. Any use of the shovel requires a little bending. That may sound nit-picky but I'm so used to having a tall garden shovel that I can even lean on.

A 36-inch model would certainly drag a little which is good for making where you've gridded a field, I guess. I think I'd like it better. Or else you are ALWAYS carrying it.

It is serrated on one side only. I thought they were all double-serrated.

What do you prefer in length and serrations?

The Lesche hand tool is serrated on the "wrong" side for my use, too.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Predator Barracuda, you wont ever need another shovel! I own one, thing is amazingly strong.
https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-55-barracuda
Looks like they are out of stock at the moment, but its 38" long. I'm about 6 FT tall, it's a little long for me, but I like it the more I use it. I don't even have to bend down until I retrieve my target. Best digger I've found on the market so far.
The lesche works good though, don't get me wrong, and they are not stamped like the hand diggers, all you get is a little sticker from what I remember. Good luck out there!

I simply won't go any longer than 31" in a shovel. All the 36" and one 40" shovels I have used, are too visible to peeps, plus they won't carry in my belt carrier without dragging.

My two main detecting shovels are the 31" and 18" Sampson. Great combination for my hunt spots. The 31" get the spotlight 90% of the time though.

I know lesche hand diggers are made with left or right serrations. Mine is serrated on the left and I’m right handed, and I cut my plugs from left to right, and it seems natural to me. I know a lot, if not most people, would say the opposite. Works well for me though for 4 years(?)

My 31” Sampson is serrated in both sides, has the yellow double W logo sticker. I find my hand digger more convenient so far.

Attachments

• 17A43F0B-6D7E-4372-B4F1-FF73C88CAC8E.jpg
    17A43F0B-6D7E-4372-B4F1-FF73C88CAC8E.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 477
...Mine is serrated on the left and I’m right handed, and I cut my plugs from left to right, and it seems natural to me...

I'd prefer my serrations as you have them. I use the detector in my right hand, and have my knife on my left hip. i start the plug on the left side and naturally want to bring my knife towards me, cutting a plug in a counter-clockwise direction. Thanks. (Did you put that OURY grip on yourself? I see that's a brand of grip, not digger.

I simply won't go any longer than 31" in a shovel. All the 36" and one 40" shovels I have used, are too visible to peeps, plus they won't carry in my belt carrier without dragging.

Not knocking you here, but the 5" makes it that much more visible to peeps?

Also, the belt carrier is something for me to consider. Anything longer than 31 will not work for that.

I'm surprised but nuggetnoggin says he uses the Piranha and it's 40" overall length according to predator tools. IIRC, nugget drags his behind him... I don't think he's short but I don't think he's six foot, either.

Gosh. A Piranha is $87 (even on sale) plus $16 shipping. Yikes. (and the hand tools are 45 and up?) Wowzers.

I'd prefer my serrations as you have them. I use the detector in my right hand, and have my knife on my left hip. i start the plug on the left side and naturally want to bring my knife towards me, cutting a plug in a counter-clockwise direction. Thanks. (Did you put that OURY grip on yourself? I see that's a brand of grip, not digger.

I was bored and had left over grips from my daughters Bmx bike, so put the Oury grip on there - its really soft and I like it. Nothing wrong with the red grip that was on the Lesche, other than it reminding me of my childhood Schwinn bikes :lol:

I was bored and had left over grips from my daughters Bmx bike, so put the Oury grip on there - its really soft and I like it. Nothing wrong with the red grip that was on the Lesche, other than it reminding me of my childhood Schwinn bikes :lol:

Did you glue it on? That’s actually a pretty genius idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom