Tesoro Compadre MOD

ikke

Hello All,

I was looking around on this great forum and found some topics about the tesoro compadre MOD.

In this pic here you can see the Disc, Ground and Sens.
compadre.JPG

But with which value potentiometer do i need to change them? I cant find that info anyware.

Best regards

That is the newer Compadre board, the board for older Compadre's looks a little different.
The most common mod is to increase the sense higher than factory settings, just a very slight movement, (counterclockwise I believe, but don't quote me), until you get noise and then back it down a hair until it's quiet.
When I say slight moves I mean it, and you had better ground yourself before you attempt this or static electricity can blow out your board and those pots are fragile and can easily be broken.
I have never read about anyone actually replacing any of these pots because there is no reason to do that unless one goes bad which I have never heard of happening.
Very few even attempt to go near the disc and ground balance pots because if you adjust either one just one hair to far or back you can easily screw up the detector, brick the thing and make it unusable.
Very easily.
Several have tried to adjust these other pots over the years and then admitted they had to send theirs into Tesoro to be recalibrated because they messed them up so badly.
That is no longer an option so go near any of these pots at your own risk.

Another mod that was pretty popular is to change it to take other coils.
Also something you should not do unless you have the skill, patience and knowledge to even attempt it.
Here is info on how to do that if you are so inclined.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=68760

I have an older unit with a 7" coil which it perfect for this thing, in my opinion, so I never had any thought to even attempt that mod when it wasn't necessary.

Another mod some people have done is add a GB knob.
Basically tapping into the factory set GB circuit and adding a 10 turn pot to control this setting instead of hoping the factory GB specs will be good enough to deal with not so optimum conditions.
This gives you more options to get you to optimum GB levels for those that have to deal with hotter dirt.
At the factory they aimed for a preset GB range that would cover average mineralization issues but not all of us are blessed with average anything when it comes to our dirt.
In clean dirt it won't matter all that much at all and in rough dirt it MAY help a little to get a bit deeper but it might not help at all depending on ground conditions.
In my devil dirt it wouldn't be worth it, even my Vaq with GB and a few other knobs and adjustments struggled here so badly I eventually traded it away for a new Mojave which for some strange reason seems to work way better in this mess than the Vaq and gets way deeper than the Compadre.
Don't ask me why it works better...it just does.
There are many tinkerers out there that have done this mod but you will have to look for info on exactly how to do this one.

Last edited:
Good response Digger.

Checked for schematic and found this:
https://www.geotech1.com/forums/sho...re-Schematic-PCB-Rev-4-1-1&highlight=Compadre

This circuit is very close to the TGS and if the GB trim pot is advanced only very slightly too far Silver is no longer detected. This is a good reason to leave it inside the box.
I have recently built a TGSL (very close circuit ot Compadre) and adjustments are tricky even when knowing what you are doing.

Back
Top Bottom