• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ATP 5x8 vs 8.5 x 11 my conclusion

campnagle

Elite Member
I got my atp a couple of months ago with the 5x8 coil, sport package.
The machine felt like a brick compared to my F 70 with a NEL hunter coil so I got a Anderson straight shaft which made a world of difference. I like that 5x8 but picked up a used 8.5 x 11. Using the straight shaft and arm cuff strap it feels fine and user friendly. My thoughts are the bigger coil is better,even in trashy areas, separation is good, pinpointing is dead on. I don't see me going back to the 5x8 unless I find an area that just screams for it. A slight depth advantage and bigger "target window" outweighs using that 5x8, just my thoughts.

I like the 8.5 x 11" also. Got the stock coil with my AT Pro a couple of years ago, new, and have not had a reason to change it out. I use the stock shaft and don't use the velcro cuff.

When I hear how "nose heavy" the AT Pro is with the stock coil, I kind of shake my head... remember, when detecting you should not be supporting the weight of the coil! It should be resting on the soil or grass (that's why I have a coil cover) and all your arm and wrist are doing is moving the coil back and forth left to right. The earth supports the weight of the coil, and doing this, I can detect all day with the stock coil and setup.

Their tools in a toolbox to me. I'll use the largest coil the area will allow. A mowed cleanish field or a beach I use the Nel Storm. Lightly trashy or a few obstacles like clear forest floor gets the 8.5x11. Heavy weeds covered in nails gets the 5x8.

Playing favorites might put me at a disadvantage and I need all the help I can get.

I agree the 5x8 is not as deep as the stock coil,,but the 5x8 makes the at pro feel a whole lot better to swing

5x8 is my favorite coil all time, I've used mine so much, the epoxy had to be refilled :laughing: I hunt primarily heavily wooded areas, so the big coil is almost useless for my hunting. I did pick up a 9x12 concentric for parks and water hunting, but I don't really hunt parks (or water) too often anymore, the finds are too far between. I find my 9x12 isn't all that much deeper, and have found nice targets with the 5x8 dang close to 10" on numerous occasions. Just havent felt the need to take it off yet. To each their own! Happy hunting!

My ATP came with the big coil. Worked but seemed like it falsed alot to my newbie self but that was probably just me not doing something right. Got the 5x8 which has worked much better for me. It is lighter and smaller of course and pinpoints well. I use it the most. Eventually I bought a super sniper because of the really trashy areas I run into. It is amazing at nailing coins in heavy trash that I had just missed with the 5x8. I made a point to put the big coil back on and use it, it works fine, so I carry all three coils with me and use what is best suited to conditions.

sniper coil

My ATP came with the big coil. Worked but seemed like it falsed alot to my newbie self but that was probably just me not doing something right. Got the 5x8 which has worked much better for me. It is lighter and smaller of course and pinpoints well. I use it the most. Eventually I bought a super sniper because of the really trashy areas I run into. It is amazing at nailing coins in heavy trash that I had just missed with the 5x8. I made a point to put the big coil back on and use it, it works fine, so I carry all three coils with me and use what is best suited to conditions.

I picked up a 4" coil for my Fisher F4 a while back , love it for trashy areas , around metal fences , and play ground equipment. I also have one for my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , which I took to the Philippines last trip . The smaller coil was very handy on the very trashy beaches over there. I took the Bounty hunter to the Philippines instead of the Fisher since I needed to hunt in all metal anyway and if something happened I had my Fisher here . I ended up shipping it to the Philippine ahead of time in a box of goods shipped to my wifes family there. That left more room in our luggage on the way there for gifts. Plenty of room in luggage on way home for it .:laughing:

I picked up a 4" coil for my Fisher F4 a while back , love it for trashy areas , around metal fences , and play ground equipment. I also have one for my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV , which I took to the Philippines last trip . The smaller coil was very handy on the very trashy beaches over there. I took the Bounty hunter to the Philippines instead of the Fisher since I needed to hunt in all metal anyway and if something happened I had my Fisher here . I ended up shipping it to the Philippine ahead of time in a box of goods shipped to my wifes family there. That left more room in our luggage on the way there for gifts. Plenty of room in luggage on way home for it .:laughing:

Dave why do you need to hunt in all metal? I'm trying to wrap my brain around that...
We shipped my sister in laws ATP in a balikbayan box along with goods for the family too.
There are some really trashed homesites here Ive checked with the 5x8 and it was kinda a nightmare for me. Ill take the SS coil back to those sites and give it a go. Now I can take the GTI 2500 and image that stuff too.

detetingin the philippines

Dave why do you need to hunt in all metal? I'm trying to wrap my brain around that...
We shipped my sister in laws ATP in a balikbayan box along with goods for the family too.
There are some really trashed homesites here Ive checked with the 5x8 and it was kinda a nightmare for me. Ill take the SS coil back to those sites and give it a go. Now I can take the GTI 2500 and image that stuff too.

Their coins are made of a variety of metals , so if you discriminate a lot of metals out you will miss coins. If you check this site it will give you the what each coin is made of .https://en.numista.com/catalogue/index.php?r=philippines&p=1&x=12&y=13 If you were on a tourist beach you could set it just to look for jewelry and skip the coins all together.

My AT Pro came with the 8.5X11 DD coil and I see no reason to buy the smaller coil. A lot of guys say that the large coil makes the detector nose heavy but I don't find that to be true at all.

I have the stock coil and 5x8. I use them both depending on what I am doing but will say that little 5x8 gets way deeper than I ever expected. It is a tad less than the stock coil but still impressive. I will say though that I haven't noticed much of an issue with the stock coil in trash. It is amazing to me how well I can isolate with the stock coil. If I'm in a trashy area swinging moderately fast and find an iffy target I can just go slow over that spot and really find where it is and if it is good or not. I love both coils.

Back
Top Bottom