Permission Granted.. No Digging in dirt...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cfmct

Administrator
Admin
Forum Supporter
:laughing:

I. USE OF METAL DETECTION DEVICES

The use of metal detection devices is permitted on land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection under the following conditions:

1. The activity shall be limited to surface collection except at beach areas where digging is permitted in sand areas devoid of vegetation. However no collecting or digging will be allowed in areas of sand dunes adjoining the beach area proper. Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited. All holes dug must be refilled immediately before the collector leaves the site.

2. The use of metal detection devices will only be permitted when the beach is not being used by the public for other purposes.

3. Persons using a metal detector are required to use a trash apron to store all materials found. The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge. Any material the collector does not wish to retain shall be placed in a waste receptacle.

4. No specific permit is required at this time.

5. Staff may close any area to this activity for purposes of maintaining visitor safety and/or preserving significant artifactual remains.

There is no metal detecting in Connecticut at these State Park areas.

If you get caught metal detecting in Connecticut parks you can be prosecuted.

Continental Army Hospital Memorial - West Hartford Dinosaur - Rocky Hill Ft. Griswold Battlefield - Groton Ft. Trumbull – New London Gay City – HebronGillette Castle – East Haddam (prohibition includes all of the park property adjacent to the CT River.)Industrial Monument – North CanaanMacedonia Brook – KentMashamoquet Brook – PomfretPutnam Memorial - Redding

Remember, you can metal detect in Connecticut, however, you just can’t dig any artifact that is one hundred years old.

Detecting on State beaches is allowed if you get a permit. Be careful. You need to ask if your permit is just for the beach area. Some States do not allow detecting outside of the beaches even with a permit.

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Connecticut.html

I know our parks have the right to ban you from all parks for 1 year on your first offense. You don't want to tick the wrong person off.

The use of metal detection devices is permitted on land under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection under the following conditions:

1. The activity shall be limited to surface collection except at beach areas where digging is permitted in sand areas devoid of vegetation. However no collecting or digging will be allowed in areas of sand dunes adjoining the beach area proper. Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited. All holes dug must be refilled immediately before the collector leaves the site.

2. The use of metal detection devices will only be permitted when the beach is not being used by the public for other purposes.

3. Persons using a metal detector are required to use a trash apron to store all materials found. The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge. Any material the collector does not wish to retain shall be placed in a waste receptacle.

5. Staff may close any area to this activity for purposes of maintaining visitor safety and/or preserving significant artifactual remains.

Continental Army Hospital Memorial - West Hartford Dinosaur - Rocky Hill Ft. Griswold Battlefield - Groton Ft. Trumbull – New London Gay City – HebronGillette Castle – East Haddam (prohibition includes all of the park property adjacent to the CT River.)Industrial Monument – North CanaanMacedonia Brook – KentMashamoquet Brook – PomfretPutnam Memorial - Redding

Remember, you can metal detect in Connecticut, however, you just can’t dig any artifact that is one hundred years old.

Detecting on State beaches is allowed if you get a permit. Be careful. You need to ask if your permit is just for the beach area. Some States do not allow detecting outside of the beaches even with a permit.

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-towns-of-the-east.com/metal-detecting-in-Connecticut.html

Geez. How in the heck do they clarify law #2? You can't detect if there are people in sight? I'm no expert on beaches but I'm thinking you can see a long way down some of them.

Geez. How in the heck do they clarify law #2? You can't detect if there are people in sight? I'm no expert on beaches but I'm thinking you can see a long way down some of them.

On some of my beaches there is no detecting until after the lifeguards leave at 6 pm.

The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge

Hmmm, sounds like a pretty useless place to beach hunt all way around.

Cfmct,
A lot of good reasons for me to not spend any of my 'discretionary vacation funds' in Connecticut! But hey, feel free to load up that MD of yours and take a road trip to those areas of the country that don't mind a citizen enjoying our chosen hobby.:grin:

The collector may retain articles found, except items of a personal nature such as jewelry and watches, which must be turned into the manager in charge

Hmmm, sounds like a pretty useless place to beach hunt all way around.

Exactly... we find nothing of interest at our beaches :laughing:

Those are some of the gayest laws ever. I found one location here where it said detecting wasn't allowed so I talked to a police officer who happened to be parked just o guess chilling and he said I could detect it
Sometimes asking police can get results.

Wow...haven't heard that expression in a while. :roll:

They'll straighten him out if he joins the Navy like he's considering.:yes:

What is bad about these beaches getting restricted as well as more parks all the time is that more people will be hunting private property. I'm self-employed and I get sites through people I work with. I hate to see too many people asking people they don't know to hunt their property. I hope they can get a connection rather than doing that.

They'll straighten him out if he joins the Navy like he's considering.:yes:

What is bad about these beaches getting restricted as well as more parks all the time is that more people will be hunting private property. I'm self-employed and I get sites through people I work with. I hate to see too many people asking people they don't know to hunt their property. I hope they can get a connection rather than doing that.

All my dirt hunting is done on private property as I have my own business as well... I get permission 99% of the time there is always one who says no but I don't care as I rarely dirt dig anymore anyway.

cfmct, thanx for posting.

Question for you: how do you think all such answers/rules got dreamed up? I mean, go backwards in time, to whenever some pencil pusher at Connecticut state parks decided it was time to "make a rule" about those things. What precipitated that ? Was it some archaeologist prompting them to "reign in these yahoos" ? Or was it someone who left open holes?

What I'm asking is: what do you think put md'ing on their radar, as something that needed various rules, to begin with ? Keep in mind that prior to the mid-to-late 1960s, detectors were a novelty and rarely seen.

Oh, and I had to chuckle at this:

"Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited."

So you mean we can't use a sandscoop :?: And I can't drive my truck down on the beach, or bring my back-hoe ? :?: :lol:

cfmct, thanx for posting.

Question for you: how do you think all such answers/rules got dreamed up? I mean, go backwards in time, to whenever some pencil pusher at Connecticut state parks decided it was time to "make a rule" about those things. What precipitated that ? Was it some archaeologist prompting them to "reign in these yahoos" ? Or was it someone who left open holes?

What I'm asking is: what do you think put md'ing on their radar, as something that needed various rules, to begin with ? Keep in mind that prior to the mid-to-late 1960s, detectors were a novelty and rarely seen.

Oh, and I had to chuckle at this:

"Digging must be done by hand with all motorized devices prohibited."

So you mean we can't use a sandscoop :?: And I can't drive my truck down on the beach, or bring my back-hoe ? :?: :lol:

No clue when they were enacted but about 10 years ago a guy with a metal detector went into a park and was doing a lousy job of filling his holes when a park employee confronted him the guy ignored the employee who then called the police and they arrested him and confiscated his detector.. last I heard he tried suing the state and of course lost plus that town banned all detecting except at the beach. I have looked for the story but can't find it... if I do I will post it. Our state in general has a lot of regulations anyway...

No clue when they were enacted but about 10 years ago a guy with a metal detector went into a park and was doing a lousy job of filling his holes when a park employee confronted him the guy ignored the employee who then called the police and they arrested him and confiscated his detector.. last I heard he tried suing the state and of course lost plus that town banned all detecting except at the beach. I have looked for the story but can't find it... if I do I will post it. Our state in general has a lot of regulations anyway...

Yep, most laws come by way of necessity. You used to be able to drink and drive but after enough people were killed they made a law (and a good thing they did). Same with bike helmets. Same with the beaches you can't have parties or fires on anymore...enough people leave a mess, cause a ruckus, damage public property, the more authority will impose laws to curb those behaviours. People effectively ban themselves (and unfortunately for us, those that follow). The one city where I was (politely) refused permission to detect any of the parks was because they had simply had enough of repairing damage from careless detectorists. Tom will be along shortly to tell us that they had to say that, it's the "go to answer", but it makes a lot of sense to me. If you were even a half-responsible city councilperson or parks director why wouldn't you ban detecting if irresponsible detectorists are repeatedly damaging the place and costing taxpayers' money to repair? It makes no difference that some of us do things responsibly and carefully - it takes only a few idiots to wreck it for everyone...it is towards these people we should be directing our ire, not towards people asking permission, city halls, archaeologists, etc. (I mean really, how many archaeologists do you think actually have anything remotely to do with the average public park?) You'd only run into these fictional "purist archies" if you were wanting to hunt a historic or culturally sensitive site...in which case it's no wonder they're saying "no". Tom would have us believe every park and city hall in the country has one, just waiting for us to show up to confuse and befuddle them with detecting questions (to which they invariably answer "no") Anyway....

What gets me is that if people are not keeping the fires in the fire pits, they don't remove the fire pits but if somebody improperly detects they can't wait to ban detecting. When did you ever see a sign at the park saying. "Detectorists please fill your holes properly"

It makes no difference that some of us do things responsibly and carefully - it takes only a few idiots to wreck it for everyone...it is towards these people we should be directing our ire.....,-Stewart
I just feel like the idiots are also the people that ban it for everyone because a few don't do it properly. That's why I direct my ire toward authority at these places that don't deal with them.

... 10 years ago a guy with a metal detector went into a park and was doing a lousy job of filling his holes ...

ok, granted. But wouldn't that have ALREADY been running afoul of currently existing rules laws (if they cared to apply/interpret them) forbidding "damaging", "altering" "defacing", etc.... ?

For example: If there is a law against shoplifting. And let's say a shopflifter wears a blue shirt while shoplifting. Does a law need to further be extrapilated thereafter that "shoplifting while wearing blue shirts is now illegal" ?

Is this it?

I think this was it: http://www.jud.ct.gov/lawlib/history/Tories.htm

...Tom will be along shortly to tell us that they had to say that, it's the "go to answer",.....

Stewart, I certainly can not accuse you of not considering/reading the alternate points of view. I mean, so-much-so, that you can quote chapter and verse of the alternate view. Hence no one can claim you are close-minded, failing to see/hear others views etc..... My hats off to you for that.

As for this particular point, sure. And I'll add that it's a good thing you asked. Because based on their answer, well........ you could have been arrested.

What gets me is that if people are not keeping the fires in the fire pits, they don't remove the fire pits but if somebody improperly detects they can't wait to ban detecting. When did you ever see a sign at the park saying. "Detectorists please fill your holes properly"

Who cares about fire pits... why do you post like this? Parks were made for people to picnic and relax... we are outsiders and parks weren't made with us in mind so enough of this other irrelevant nonsense...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom