Tracking your hunts, recording your finds, all on your PHONE!

robby4570

Elite Member
How many times have you been to a site that you'd hit before and wished you knew just where you had already covered so that you could hunt "new" dirt? Or, who else would like to be able to plot your finds at a site and then go back home after a few hunts, export those finds plot points and pictures to Google Earth on your computer and see if there is a pattern to where those goodies are?

Well, you can do it with your ANDROID Phone now, and soon you'll be able to do it with your iPhone also!!

I've been using the TECT O TRAK LITE app for a few years now and recently upgraded to the full "for pay" version. The free version works great and is nearly as full featured as the pay version but there are a few subtle differences that make the pay version worth it. The Developer has been working with a coder to get the iOS version out to the public and has just announced a Kickstarter campaign to get the funding to complete it. If you want to stay in touch with the developer, he is on Facebook, has a group for ToT and is very prompt to answer your messages.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/156...if_t=group_activity&notif_id=1469916187194005
10303294_1486320234956933_4906292329512154964_n.jpg

Here's a few screen shots of what it can do...

We live in an RV Park with a big field and an abandonded small plane airstrip adjacent to the park. I have permission to hunt the field but not the airstrip (yet, but that's another story). Here is a shot of a few hunts logged in Tect O Trak

This is what it looks like on my phone...

PG Phone TOT.jpg

And here is the RV Park on Google Earth before exporting and importing the Tect O Trak data...

PGRVP without tracks.jpg

And here now, is all of the tracks of my hunts overlayed from Tect O Trak

PGRVP with tracks.jpg

And this is the track from a hunt I did where I made a video

PG Vid TOT.jpg

This is the video I did in the hunt above

And here is a hunt in a local park showing where my finds were made and one of those finds opened up for viewing

PSM Find.jpg

So, as the saying goes, I don't have a dog in this fight since I have the Android version, but I'd sure like to see the iOS version come out for all my detecting friends who use iPhones. Cruise on over to the Tect O Trak for iOS page on Facebook or go to the Kickstarter page when it comes up (I'll post the link when I get it) and kick in a few bucks if you can.

I use Digmate on Android. Haven't tried Tect o trak yet. Looks like it works well. What are the differences between lite and full?

I use Digmate on Android. Haven't tried Tect o trak yet. Looks like it works well. What are the differences between lite and full?

In the lite version, all tracks are the same color, no biggie because you still see where you've been but the full gives you many different colors to choose from so each hunt can have a different color. There are other features as well that I have yet to use (I just recently upgraded).

This may explain better...

http://historyhunters.co.uk/tectotrak/

I'm chatting with the developer on messenger right now, sent him the thread link and invited him to jump on into this thread...

FYI: If I am carrying my cellphone, it's turned off due to it emitting EMF while I'm detecting. Anyone else do this?

FYI: If I am carrying my cellphone, it's turned off due to it emitting EMF while I'm detecting. Anyone else do this?

Have you actually tried having it on and noticed any EMI issues? I have no problem with mine and never have but I have heard the stories that your phone can do this. Like I say though, never been able to prove it across 3 phones and 4 detectors. To run Tect O Trak you can go to airplane mode (turn off all radios) once you open and start recording in the app. It works fine as I sometimes DO go to airplane mode to avoid any calls while I am hunting and the app works just like when my phone is not in airplane mode

Have you actually tried having it on and noticed any EMI issues? I have no problem with mine and never have but I have heard the stories that your phone can do this. Like I say though, never been able to prove it across 3 phones and 4 detectors. To run Tect O Trak you can go to airplane mode (turn off all radios) once you open and start recording in the app. It works fine as I sometimes DO go to airplane mode to avoid any calls while I am hunting and the app works just like when my phone is not in airplane mode
I have associated it at times with interference. I know that with my ML, no other brand of detector can get within 20 feet of me or my machine goes haywire, worse than being near hi-voltage lines. I do like your app though.

I have associated it at times with interference. I know that with my ML, no other brand of detector can get within 20 feet of me or my machine goes haywire, worse than being near hi-voltage lines. I do like your app though.

Its not my app, I have no association to it other than being a happy user who is sharing.

What "ML" are you talking about? My E-Trac has had other detectors being used within 10 feet with no problem. I simply noise cancel and its all good. The only machine that i have an issue with being nearby is my buddys ATX from Garrett. But he uses it in the water so no issue there either.

Very useful program for those that can't afford a metal detector with GPS mapping. This is the next best thing, and even better (in some features) and areas.

One of the best parts about the developer is that he works closely with other detectorists and LISTENS to their suggestions or concerns and makes changes accordingly whenever possible.

The APP may not be for everyone, but for those that are looking for an affordable way to track their hunts and finds, this APP will suit your needs.:grin:

Nope. I just don't carry it on me. When I did carry it it seemed to interfere with my detector. I'll revisit carrying it and see if I notice a difference. I'll give the app a shot too.

My phone is already tracking my every move . Heck the world can track my posts on here . My silver count for the year and clad. I am wrestling every day with the desire to post my finds and share with forum buddies and contributing on the site. It's fun but I have noticed activity in my local town increasing . I seldom ever hunt here but had a few back to back very solid weeks and there is no question there are lurkers who will travel thinking they are missing out on some honey hole that in my experience doesn't really exist for the most part.
I had a 7 silver week last week and though I wanted to post I held off. Nothing overly eventful anyway.
I'm just having trouble with giving up privacy to strangers . Just so me crummy people in the world. Not worried about the poor metal detector guy just wanting to find a silver dime once in a wile . A phone call or email and I'm happy to share . Just that Evil does lurk and advertising your hoard no mater how small it may be in my case anyway may still you in a situation of being victimized or forced to defend . And then there are the black helicopters and SUV's 😎. And sasquaches ,, And alians ,,, and stuff. Just sayin...
HH , Dew

Oh. And the new gps fish finders you can buy for your boat allow you to now map and record the lake bottom . They actualy will record and write the structure into your unit . All of cours needing updates and upload able and downloadable . Maybe I'm parinoid but a secret spot of mine is nothing I want to share nor do I want that info written into the next software update for the world to see or buy. Call me crazy ... But it's here

Oh. And the new gps fish finders you can buy for your boat allow you to now map and record the lake bottom . They actualy will record and write the structure into your unit . All of cours needing updates and upload able and downloadable . Maybe I'm parinoid but a secret spot of mine is nothing I want to share nor do I want that info written into the next software update for the world to see or buy. Call me crazy ... But it's here

They said we didn't need cell phones or sliced bread too!:lol:

Lol I tried clicking on DIRECTIONS, on the top of this thread and nothing happened? What gives :laughing:

Nope. I just don't carry it on me. When I did carry it it seemed to interfere with my detector. I'll revisit carrying it and see if I notice a difference. I'll give the app a shot too.

Like I said, you can have your phone in airplane mode (no transmissions) once you open and start recording with Tect O Trak. I'm really curious though to see if in fact a celphone can be a cause of EMI while detecting...

slammed my 4 dollars down

I was hoping there was something like this. will be fun to piece together the story of the place you got to swing at. Have yet to try it out in the field but to be able to document where targets were found is HUUGE for us who use low-mid level machines without GPS :D

Tect O Trak

Hi,

I am the developer of Tect O Trak. I'm sorry I couldn't join this thread earlier.

Thank you Robby, that's very generous of you. I'm obliged sir. :)

Thank you to those willing to give it a try. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer . If you want quick reply please email me directly:[email protected]

Regarding EMI.. I have an E-Trac and never experienced problems myself. In fact, when using the app, I sometimes rest my phone on the detector if I want to see the app screen, to be sure I'm setting off in the right direction, without any effect whatsoever.

I think it might depend on the machine though. The E-Trac can also go under low slung high voltage power cables without effect, but my 2 previous detectors, A Bounty hunter 4 and a Minelab Sovereign elite both used to go crazy!

Call me old school but I can tell you exactly where I have found a piece in my collection and surely can tell you the site terrainn I have covered, usually numberous times over and over.. All from memory which i guess is a good thing.. You younger guys do your thing.. Peace Out..

Hi,

I am the developer of Tect O Trak. I'm sorry I couldn't join this thread earlier.

Thank you Robby, that's very generous of you. I'm obliged sir. :)

Thank you to those willing to give it a try. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer . If you want quick reply please email me directly:[email protected]

Regarding EMI.. I have an E-Trac and never experienced problems myself. In fact, when using the app, I sometimes rest my phone on the detector if I want to see the app screen, to be sure I'm setting off in the right direction, without any effect whatsoever.

I think it might depend on the machine though. The E-Trac can also go under low slung high voltage power cables without effect, but my 2 previous detectors, A Bounty hunter 4 and a Minelab Sovereign elite both used to go crazy!

Working on one for the IOS platform yet?

Back
Top Bottom