Pro-Pointer problem - solved!

spacecoast

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum, it's good to be back. My Pro-Pointer (Garrett of course) has developed an issue and I wonder if others have seen it as well. When I turn it on, it wants to beep even when not near any kind of metal. It's annoying and makes it almost impossible to use effectively. I have tried battery changes and have a premium quality Duracell ProCell in it now, but it still exhibits this behavior. Sometimes tapping it on my shoe seems to quiet it down, but only temporarily.

Other than de-tuning it at startup, which has its own issues, is there any other remedy for this condition? Should I return it to Garrett? It's about 3 years old now.

Mine is two years old and has not had a problem , I'd call Garrett and talk to them. I have delt with Rusty to name one and have been very satisfied . I have read some post that said they want $25 to fix . Keep posting let us know how you get treated , will help with future purchases.
HH

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forum, it's good to be back. My Pro-Pointer (Garrett of course) has developed an issue and I wonder if others have seen it as well. When I turn it on, it wants to beep even when not near any kind of metal. It's annoying and makes it almost impossible to use effectively. I have tried battery changes and have a premium quality Duracell ProCell in it now, but it still exhibits this behavior. Sometimes tapping it on my shoe seems to quiet it down, but only temporarily.

Other than de-tuning it at startup, which has its own issues, is there any other remedy for this condition? Should I return it to Garrett? It's about 3 years old now.

Fairly common problem. You can try placing a coin (nickel) under the battery cap to help with the battery connection, which sometimes does the trick. Otherwise, it may need a trip to Garrett. Mine started acting up after two years. The nickel trick seemed to work a bit, but eventually it got worse, so sent it back to Garrett for a fix. It was covered under warranty at the time.

My Pro-Pointer (Garrett of course) has developed an issue and I wonder if others have seen it as well. When I turn it on, it wants to beep even when not near any kind of metal.
Yep, sounds too familiar. I was in the middle of Utah when it went OFF. It was under warranty and replaced. It's been working, but the false alerts with minor pressure are there. I decided it was my last Pro-Pointer and purchased an X-Pointer for backup. The Pro-Pointer turns out to be the backup now.

very common problem. the issue is the two hot wires only have a thin coating of varnish and it cracks and shorts on the motherboard. after having two and sending both in 3 times each I sold both and have a TRX with no problems at all

I had continual falsing from my Pro-Pointer and finally, after purchasing a Makro pointer, returned it to Garrett. Mine was not covered under warranty. They called and said that they didn't recommend repairing it due to the cost of about $75.00, as moisture had corroded the board. They offered me a discount (25% or 30%...can't remember) off another Pro-Pointer or certain other accessories, but I just told them to ship it back to me. Should have just told them to keep it. I like the Makro, but was so used to the Pro-Pointer continuously being in my hand and could turn it on with my eyes closed. The button for the Makro is on the end, which I still haven't gotten used to. I do like that I can adjust the sensitivity to 4 different levels, can turn the LED light on or off, it can vibrate and/or make audible alarm and is fully waterproof. I can tell you that since the Pro-Pointer died on me, I have become a huge fan of my Sunray X-1 probe and fully understand their popularity, especially while hunting in some of the trashy ground that I have been hunting in lately. I normally just use the Makro now if I am having difficulty in locating a target in a plug...strictly use the X-1 at all other times. It is very nice when you have trashy nails and stuff in the same hole with a good target, as it will discriminate the bad stuff, acting just like your coil. I like it!

Had two before that did that, now my third has me nervous acting sketchy, thinking about trying an xpointer looks to have a little better depth and $89. Fed up with the pro pointers, very disappointing, outstanding tool if working as it should.

mine started falsing awhile back, I can turn it off/on about 5 or 6 times and eventually find my target. It is headed out the door for something new soon. I was looking at the new pro pointer, but worried it will have the same issues, might get the x pointer and then wait for the reviews of the new waterproof pro pointer.

When it worked, it was one of the best investments I ever made, sure stinks hearing it is happening over and over and Garrett does nothing about it.

mine started falsing awhile back, I can turn it off/on about 5 or 6 times and eventually find my target. It is headed out the door for something new soon. I was looking at the new pro pointer, but worried it will have the same issues, might get the x pointer and then wait for the reviews of the new waterproof pro pointer.

When it worked, it was one of the best investments I ever made, sure stinks hearing it is happening over and over and Garrett does nothing about it.

they did do something about it .... they said we were misusing it

the X-Pointer I have been using for the last 4+ months is fantastic -;)

I talked to Support at Garrett today. He issued me an RMA number and said there would be a charge to fix it since it's not under warranty. From what I see above, I will definitely be buying something else if they tell me it's $75 plus shipping to fix.

One odd thing - I did mention to him that I could de-tune it and get the falsing to stop and he asked me how I de-tuned it. Seemed like an odd question.

If they tell you that it will cost you to get a 3yr old pro pointer fixed in which there have been an extraordinary number of people with problems including myself, they'd lose my business for freakin LIFE! Apparently the huge number of people complaining doesn't mean much or else the problem would have rectified a long time ago. Can't wait to see what this orange waterproof thing does.

I got a flyer today saying that the TRX is now being sold on sale by whites for less than a hundred dollars.

Why send it in? Why spend the money. There are plenty of choices out there. The new Pro Pointer. Whites TRX. Makro, X pointer. All have good reviews. Throw the darn thing in the trash and move on. I got a brand new one back from Garrett a few years ago and it started falsing on the first hunt. Just a bad product design.

I have a $50 gift card for Cabelas, and here's what they currently have:

• Pro-Pointer on sale for $110 (reg. $140)
  • White's TRX for $160
  • White's Bullseye II for $100 (seems big and awkward to carry/use)
  • Minelab Pro-Find 25 for $200
  • Bounty Hunter for $60 (I'm assuming this is junk)

If I go for another Pro-Pointer, I could make sure I get it back in within 2 years if it starts falsing.

I could also wait for the TRX to go on sale and use my current Pro-Pointer in de-tuned mode.

What would you do? I'm anxious to get out with a quality pointer while the weather is cool here (Florida). Summer is just too hot to do much MDing.

Hey All -

I watched a couple of videos explaining about the problem with the shorting wires. I'm a tinkerer, and there wasn't much to lose, so I used a 3/4" piece of electrical tape between the board and the wires and it definitely seems to have made a big difference. The biggest challenge by far was getting the board back into the case successfully without breaking anything. It wants to get hung up on the wire, so there was a lot of fiddling with the wire through the on/off switch hole before it would go all the way in. You also have to be aware of the plastic guides inside the case so the board slides in successfully, and of course do it with the switch depressed so it doesn't get hung up and break off.

I was surprised to find a date of 10/28/08 on a sticker on the board, which means the PP was already 3 years old when I bought it new from Cabelas.

Thanks for all the feedback!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YfULEKbi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPdWPQE6DNc

That's great. Thanks for the links. I sent mine back when it was under warranty, but now that the warranty is up I'll fix it myself if it goes batty again.

If they tell you that it will cost you to get a 3yr old pro pointer fixed in which there have been an extraordinary number of people with problems including myself, they'd lose my business for freakin LIFE! Apparently the huge number of people complaining doesn't mean much or else the problem would have rectified a long time ago. Can't wait to see what this orange waterproof thing does.

You have hit the nail on the head - Garrett should have addressed GPP issues long ago as its done nothing for customer confidence leading into their Garrett AT Pointer - ...........

Back
Top Bottom