• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Iffy beeps

There’s different definitions of “iffy” for sure. Some vids I’ve seen with these iffy signals are to ME straight up coin signals. As soon as the individual with THEIR machine knows what iffy coins are compared to iffy junk,then it’s easier to skip the ones YOU know are going to be garbage. I completely concur Chris,I find WAY more working the odds based on past experience with MY machines and MY settings! To dig anything that has ANY chance EVERYWHERE? Not this guy....

This is true , iffy signals cover a scale from better to worse. Going on what the site and detector are telling you its " almost " possible to grade each one by a percentage on how likely something is to be good or bad. Working that angle , digging only the very best iffy signals helps maximize both time and potential. You can use up a lot of your time going after targets that are " probably " trash with maybe a 5 to 10% chance of being something good , or you can choose to save that time for going after what based on your experience is " probably " something good with a 5 to 10% chance of it being junk.

But its just a personal mindset , there is no wrong way. Just trying to better explain the reasoning for walking past many of the iffy signals.

I read so many posts on here where people say they never find much good stuff , but they dig nearly every high tone out there and often post pictures of basically trash finds wondering what they are. A very likely answer to their quandry is to maximize time better by isolating certain targets to go after. Instead of digging such a broad spectrum of signals , narrow it down down some and go after the better ones. The time saved usually puts more good finds in your pocket and less trash. It seems like a paradox to some , but often digging less finds more.

To me a iffy signal is one that for instance sounds fantastic and the numbers are solid until you circle. Say I got a nice quarter signal and I move to the side and it drops to upper 70's then as I move again drops to the upper 60's. It still sounds good but then I check depth and it's not real deep 3"-4". I move on unless the numbers are staying close. If that same signal read 6-8 inches or more then I would be more prone to dig it with the numbers fluctuating with that big a swing.

Iffy beeps I abandon fast are the ones that just sound good one way and drop big time or almost disappear as I circle around them. Another type is the ones that sound great being a dime or quarter signal and as you circle it jumps into the 90's.

Lots of good advice and I am taking it all to heart.

Yep I know you have found many good items that had iffy signals , but I would be willing to bet you found many times that number in trash or otherwise insignificant items by digging so many iffy signals. In comparison , much more time spent chasing what you had high hopes for that turned out to be disappointing. It all depends on the site and situation of course , but I cant help thinking how much better a person could ultimately do if all that time was spent covering more ground for better targets instead. There are no guarantees but surely there is more potential per hunt when covering more ground. But my situation is probably different since I hunt mostly high traffic sites covered with a blanket of trash , most iffy signals are just hard work followed by disappointment.

Could be for sure diff circumstances, but i would lose my mind not digging those haha. maybe thats why I don't hunt parks often.

We all have wrestled with this issue at one point in time..."What treasures are we missing by not digging the Iffys or solidly known junk signals?"...Well, a guy just dont know, but he can condense the learning process and certainly up the percentages of goods vs trash...

Focusing on developing Very Fast target retrieval techniques....This allows a person to not think too much about the specific signal, or waste any time...You condense your learning process by pulling 200 targets in the same time it takes somebody else to pull 50...You dont think or evaluate each signal consciously, you just follow the paydirt terrain and ping and pop as fast as you can!

Your brain is processing all this input, and telling you what you got going on in here...You aint thinking about it though, it just happens...

Its important to listen to what the dirt and finds are saying about the age of the place and its potential, the geographic layout of the travel zones...this is what you process mentally...not the signals...

Even in a totter lessons are learned, theres specific high paydirt drop zones, just like anywhere Humans have been before....Humans prefer and interact with the terrain in specific patternable ways that can engender a nice drop or hidden cache...

Every signal is a clue to understanding a place and how it was used and by whom...then you can figure out how to best hunt it based upon what the targets/dirt are saying....

Anyway, thats the mental joy of the hunt for me...really fast retrieval, being able to 'see' a place through the fog of time based upon the targets...

Pulling a lot of targets QUICK can make a guy more productive and more treasure findy...This is a big Planet, these coils are so small in comparison, a guy only has so much time to cover it...pull 90+ targets per hour...you cant do that by evaluating each and every signal and looking at the TIDS...you are running in autopilot, and hunting for the Primary drop zones...Once you hit the paydirt and understand a place, sure, set up right accordingly, slow way down and get sharp... ...

I dont know if this makes any sense, buts its a viable concept strategy that works for me...:?:

I'm guilty of not digging the iffy signals myself. Particularly if the area is real trashy. but I learned my lesson back in the 80ties when hunting with a Garrett Master Hunter CX. It was the thing at the time. It had an analog gauge with the description and the numbers on it. My MD partner was using a 50$ bounty hunter he had ordered from a magazine. I was zipping along finding coins 3 or 4 to his one because he was digging so many pull tabs. Then he got a big grunt on his detector and he responded by saying "probably another pull tab" That's how it sounded. When he dug it there was a large Gold men's class ring of the schoolyard we were hunting. I have never forgot that. I still pass on the iffy signals when I am tired or my back hurts but I always think of that.

Back
Top Bottom