Best metal detector for Finding Gold Coins?

BGF

I'm looking for a metal detector in the $1,500 and under range that would have the best reputation for finding 22k and above gold coins. I'm not interested in the metal detectors that find gold nuggets or veins because I live in Florida. I just want something that will not pass over a gold coin or that has a reputation for being more sensitive in locating this metal, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a metal detector in the $1,500 and under range that would have the best reputation for finding 22k and above gold coins. I'm not interested in the metal detectors that find gold nuggets or veins because I live in Florida. I just want something that will not pass over a gold coin or that has a reputation for being more sensitive in locating this metal, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Actually, you SHOULD be interested in those nugget hunters! Because they are tuned for exactly what your are looking for. Only other option woul dbe for an all-metal deepseeker like a Pulse Induction unit.

Land or sea would be the question. If you have a sample of exactly what you are looking for, there are detectors that will let you notch out everything else. Otherwise I would get a nugget machine too.

Most of the time I'll be looking on the mainland and the beach occasionally. An example of the type of coins that I'm trying to specialize in finding are the St. Gaudens Double Eagles. I suspected that nugget detectors would detect these coins, but from the research I've done so far those types of detectors appear to be much more expensive than my current $1,500 spending limit. I am interested in the Garrett 2500 because I heard it can detect up to 15 ft. deep but I was told this machine would have difficulty locating only one gold coin at a time, especially at that depth. What price range am I looking at if I want something that is going to give me a good reading at up to 15 ft. on a gold coin? 7ft. on a gold coin? 3 ft. on a gold coin? and finally 3 inches to a foot on a gold coin? With just $1,500 dollars to spend am I stuck in the 3 inches to a foot club for now? Thanks to everyone for their time, it's as good as gold in my book!

I'd think after seeing many of the finds here that most detectors would do well for finding gold coins. I think the real problem is FINDING GOLD COINS! LOL! Meaning, they aren't just lying around everywhere. I read in one of my treasure books a quote where a man asked another how to find gold. The answer was "Go where the gold is located, place your detector squarely over it and dig." You get my point... ;)

minelab%20golden%20hawk.jpg

Minelab Golden Hawk. Hard to get one...

Hello & welcome..You might try one of these..:cool:

bksvl-1.jpg

"Just kidding, I don't know of any detector like your looking for..I wish you good luck in your quest."

Most of the time I'll be looking on the mainland and the beach occasionally. An example of the type of coins that I'm trying to specialize in finding are the St. Gaudens Double Eagles. I suspected that nugget detectors would detect these coins, but from the research I've done so far those types of detectors appear to be much more expensive than my current $1,500 spending limit. I am interested in the Garrett 2500 because I heard it can detect up to 15 ft. deep but I was told this machine would have difficulty locating only one gold coin at a time, especially at that depth. What price range am I looking at if I want something that is going to give me a good reading at up to 15 ft. on a gold coin? 7ft. on a gold coin? 3 ft. on a gold coin? and finally 3 inches to a foot on a gold coin? With just $1,500 dollars to spend am I stuck in the 3 inches to a foot club for now? Thanks to everyone for their time, it's as good as gold in my book!

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but you've been lied too. Not even a 2-box detector can find a car at 15 feet. The biggest and best detectors can only go 2 or 3 feet and that is on VERY large items. A single coin? I've been hearing of silver finds down to 12 inches with the E-trac, so you could probably get 12-14 on something the size of the St.Gaudens.

But like porksteak said, the hardest part is actually being in a spot where one was lost. People didn't tend to carry gold around much.

Alright, so let's say I decide to hold off on buying a detector for a while and I save my money and I purchase a Minelab GPX 4500. Is there anything that I could put on this Minelab GPX 4500 that would give me the capability of picking up the signal of a single gold coin buried 5 to 6 feet underground or anything near that depth? If that's not possible, then how large a cache of gold coins would be necessary in order to be detected at this depth?
I'm well aware, that back in the day gold coins weren't exactly carried around like lollipops, so as to be handed out to little children whenever they demonstrated how special they were. I know they are nearly impossible to find. I just want a machine that costs less than a car, that will give me one hell of a fighting chance in finding them. Mostly, I'm just trying to get a handle on what sort of technology is out there without having to communicate with a salesman, or so I think. I'll probably just end up going to a metal detector store with a gold coin and a posthole digger. I'll test their claims of detection right on the spot. For the kind of money these babies cost I want cold hard data, not rumors on the capabilities of these machines. Is there anything or anyone out there whose made a test video of the sort? I don't mean the guy on youtube with the awful music who makes divots on his lawn. I'm looking for a website or something of the sort that really puts these machines to the test. Thankyou for your time.

I dug my gold coin with a $200 radio shack machine, but folks can spend whatever amount they want to.

I certainly applaud your goal. You seem to have your head on right, and are going about this the right way.

All of the field tests I have read have been for the hobby models of detectors. I don't think I have ever seen one for the top level of Minelab gold hunters. I think you have the right idea; you need to test the models to see which ones give the best performace for the targets you are searching, in the ground you are searching in.

Maybe there are enough users out here to be able to help you.

Gold Bug 2

I do my prospecting with a GB2. It finds everything more or less, but the idea is you go where the gold is. When I get far enough into the mountains, I deal with few pull tabs or other junk. On the beach I dig everything. Price around $700.00. There is a new gold bug coming out in the $500.00 range in a few months with a small screen. I know you want to specialize in a certain type of gold, so please send me what you don't want. You might consider a multi frequency detector, and expanding your expectations you will like the hobby more, and pay for your machine quicker.

Landshark

Do you really need a certain detector to find you gold. I really don't think so. Anyways, I would try any of the Tesoros

If you wanted to get a GPX 4500, you are going to be going wayyy over budget of 1500 bucks.

But if you do decide to go with the GPX 4500, do know that it's not an easy detector to learn, it WILL find every piece of metal the size of a BB to a can, it is darned expensive, and you will need many accessories.

But here's a list.

http://www.arizonaoutback.com/gpx4500package.html
http://www.arizonaoutback.com/nf25rms.html
http://www.docsdetecting.com/docsplace/coiltek/coils1.html#cl1224
http://nuggethunting.com/coiltek_li-ion_battery.htm

If you want a machine you will be totally impressed with.FISHER F75 you will be in heaven.

Yes you need a machine to just find gold

As a attachment here is the specs on my Gold Bug 2 The depth on the second coil is 10 inches. a minor misprint. .5 grain is about 1/1000 of a troy ounce. Show me another machine that accurate. The $5,000 minelab won't find a piece of gold that small.

Attachments

• GB2 TEST.jpg
    GB2 TEST.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 8,938
Back
Top Bottom