T-handle or no T-handle?

pryan67

Forum Supporter
I'm looking for a new shovel....currently I use a KellyCo Gator edge digger, but I want to have something that will help me get a bit deeper and cleaner plugs.

I like the Lesche Sampson or the Predator 55 or 25, but haven't been sold on it yet. There are so many choices out there, serrated, non-serrated, t-handle, ball handle, D-handle, etc. There are the mini shovels, the 31" shovels....

If I wanted to stay under 90 bucks, what would be your personal suggestions?

I'm looking for a new shovel....currently I use a KellyCo Gator edge digger, but I want to have something that will help me get a bit deeper and cleaner plugs.

I like the Lesche Sampson or the Predator 55 or 25, but haven't been sold on it yet. There are so many choices out there, serrated, non-serrated, t-handle, ball handle, D-handle, etc. There are the mini shovels, the 31" shovels....

If I wanted to stay under 90 bucks, what would be your personal suggestions?

I won't give a recommendation shovel model wise. But will say if cleaner plugs are your intent, stay away from shovels with serration on both sides of blade.
They make nastier looking cuts in soil.

I have several and can give you some thoughts based on my experience.

For me, the shortened versions of the T-Handles are OK for hunting in parks and places where you want to be inconspicuous. For hunting any other place, I prefer the full length shovels since the whole point of a long handled shovel (IMO) is to get you off your knees and into a comfortable upright digging position.

I prefer T-Handle over Ball Handle. Its easier on the hand IMHO.

As for types and designs of long handled shovels, I've owned and used several different ones. To me, the Sampson's blade is just a bit too short and narrow. On the other hand, the blade on the Predator Tools Ranger is just a little too large for the type of digging I do. I found perfection in the Predator Tools model 55 Barracuda. Blade is longer and wider than the Sampson, yet not as big as the blade on the Ranger. Unlike the Sampson, it has a fairly wide area to put your foot on, so that it doesn't tear a hole in the bottom of your shoe when you're driving it into the ground. Love it. The only changes I made were shortening the handle by a few inches & repainted it orange to be more visible.

Left to right in the image below:
1st one is a shovel that I built, 2nd is the Model 55 Barracuda, last one is the 31" Sampson.

Attachments

• shovels.JPG
    shovels.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 727
Check out White's new Ground Hawg. Very reasonably priced. I have them in stock and they are SWEET.

Take a look at grave digger tools. A little more weight but very strong. Used my Nemesis last weekend in the woods , cut through roots without issue and could really lean on it without fear of bending. Seriously rugged tools.

Take a look at grave digger tools. A little more weight but very strong. Used my Nemesis last weekend in the woods , cut through roots without issue and could really lean on it without fear of bending. Seriously rugged tools.

I like the grave digger tools, but they're out of stock for all but one...

I like the grave digger tools, but they're out of stock for all but one...

I emailed Eric about the availability and got a response in minutes..I responded to him and he responded again within an hour...DEFINITELY leaning towards the Grave Digger tools based upon that.

I emailed Eric about the availability and got a response in minutes..I responded to him and he responded again within an hour...DEFINITELY leaning towards the Grave Digger tools based upon that.

I've dealt with Eric @ Grave Digger , he is very responsive and the tools themselves are very rugged . I'd buy from him again in a heart beat .

I have 2 of Eric's shovels. You won't bend them. The Nemesis is better for clean plugs. The Tombstone is great for the woods or huge fields where clean plugs are not as much of a concern. Either way you'll be happy with the products.

On top of that Eric is a great guy.

I have 2 of Eric's shovels. You won't bend them. The Nemesis is better for clean plugs. The Tombstone is great for the woods or huge fields where clean plugs are not as much of a concern. Either way you'll be happy with the products.

On top of that Eric is a great guy.

Thanks for the info...I'm thinking the Nemesis as well He has the "sugar grape" color one in stock (and that's the only one in stock) but I also really like the Ground Hawg and one of the sponsors offered me one at a great price. If I go with the Nemesis when they're back in stock I need to choose between the 27" and 36"...I can't seem to find the weight of the shovels online though...that will be a concern for an old fat guy like me.

decisions, decisions, decisions...

Thanks for the info...I'm thinking the Nemesis as well He has the "sugar grape" color one in stock (and that's the only one in stock) but I also really like the Ground Hawg and one of the sponsors offered me one at a great price. If I go with the Nemesis when they're back in stock I need to choose between the 27" and 36"...I can't seem to find the weight of the shovels online though...that will be a concern for an old fat guy like me.

decisions, decisions, decisions...

My 36" Nemisis is 4lbs , they are heavier than other brands . I don't think its overly heavy , it is built like a tank . I went with the 36" so I don't have to bend when cutting a plug .

My 36" Nemisis is 4lbs , they are heavier than other brands . I don't think its overly heavy , it is built like a tank . I went with the 36" so I don't have to bend when cutting a plug .

Awesome...thanks for the info. That's significantly heavier than the Ground Hawg, but 4 pounds isn't bad...

Back
Top Bottom