Lousy Luck

georgeinsc

Elite Member
I hit the beach about half hour before low tide (morning Md appointment delayed me). Since what little wind we had was out of the North West the surf was relatively mild.

So into the ocean I headed. Worked the water out to chest deep for two hours. Targets were very scarce. A few pieces of trash, a couple of coins and a destroyed watch.

Why did a very expensive watch that was tested to 200 meters leak in waist deep water?

If it were not for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Attachments

• DSC01068.JPG
    DSC01068.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 294
  • DSC01069.JPG
    DSC01069.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 267
Gotta be worth something Geo? Unless its a total fake...I'm sure you will be taking it into some place for an evaluation and repair estimate?...Let us know what you find out! Good work on getting in a long hard hunt though! Your Good Luck is coming as it does for all dedicated diligents...

That's a nice watch, shame it doesn't work anymore. If the watch has been lying in the water for a while, then water can slowly creep into its housing. Most watches aren't designed to live underwater. I think it'd be the same with a waterproof metal detector. You can use an Excalibur, for example, in a 10m lake but tie it to the bottom of the same lake, and leave it there for 3 years, water will probably seep into it. That's just what I think happened to your watch.

Fingers crossed. If real, Mark Siriani at https://www.watchdoctor.biz/ does a great and affordable job at watch restoration. I've used him plenty of times.

Here is an interesting tid-bit. My buddy's best man is a jeweler. As a gift he gave my bud a Tag Heuer that is similar to the one in pic below. Knowing the MSRP, we were all impressed but he said, "don't be". Then he pulled up the receipt from his phone. $280. Yup, that was his employee cost and he was allowed to buy one per year. :shock:

Attachments

• 61b-a09Y6iL._UX342_.jpg
    61b-a09Y6iL._UX342_.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 251
Nice find. I have a Tag. 995.706 is the model number of the one you found. They are only certified to 200m if the case is opened and closed by an authorized Tag repair person as they have to be pressure/leak tested after being opened. If you have the battery replaced without that last step that's what happens.

I found one and had it repaired. The watch maker told me there is no such thing as a waterproof watch......did that help?:lol: Check with a watch maker...... they can change the guts out with ORIGINAL ones pretty cheaply.

I will see what can be done with it. I checked the online listings of how to tell if it is authentic and it passed all the items that were listed.

Fingers crossed. If real, Mark Siriani at https://www.watchdoctor.biz/ does a great and affordable job at watch restoration. I've used him plenty of times.

Here is an interesting tid-bit. My buddy's best man is a jeweler. As a gift he gave my bud a Tag Heuer that is similar to the one in pic below. Knowing the MSRP, we were all impressed but he said, "don't be". Then he pulled up the receipt from his phone. $280. Yup, that was his employee cost and he was allowed to buy one per year. :shock:

Wow, that's way more of a mark up than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom