Awaiting “new” Sovereign GT

medmike

Right in my budget. Will waterproof it, read a lot. Was looking at ikelite cases on eBay. Would like to use waterproof knobs for on-the-go adjustments. Coming from AT Pro , but expecting a learning curve. Any of the tone cd tutorial or books worth getting ? I know nothing replaces getting out there and using it but want to get a leg up.

Congrats! I had wanted one for a few years and almost pulled the trigger on getting it a couple of times but I just couldn't do it.

Hey Felix, from all you finds and posts I’ve read, you don’t need one🤑!!!!

If you're coming from an AT-pro, get ready for some hair-pulling adjustment period. The tones and sounds are all different and wacky.

I would suggest getting to fairly clean spots first (wide open beach, with targets spread out). And hunting in all metal. Then when you get a hit, switch to check in disc. Do that for a few days, before tackling hunting in disc. mode.

The swing speed is all different. Signals will seem to have "tails" on them, etc... Sounds are way different than standard machines. Can drive you nuts if you immediately try in some target-rich area.

You dont need to get crazy with the coils..... the standard coil is a pretty darn good one. IMO...... hitting the wet sand is a great place to learn. Not sure what machine if any you are coming from.... but it has a pretty good spread in the lower range to distinguish targets once you learn the tones.

Sounds like a great project. Best waterproof job ive seen was by Mel Parker.... he even had a digital readout.

Forwarding Sovereign info I've sent to others...

Sovereign GT Manual.

Des Dunne Tips and Tricks

Des Dunne Set-Up Video :thumbsup: :

Gary Drayton GT Settings. (There are five in this series. Click on his name in the lower left for more).

I set mine up with Half Boots to reduce the chances of sand getting into the controls. I also used painters tape to cover the speaker (easy to remove) and added Gorrilla Tape on top for durability.

The Dutch Treasure (Digger's World) YouTube vids have good GT audio before he digs: :thumbsup:

The key to the Sovereign, is a slooooooow swing speed. Be patient, listen carefully, and the Sov will reward.

Raider Regards,

R5

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, and R5 for all the homework! How to figure out the size of the used ikelike boxes on eBay? I think they are made for specific cameras/camcorders so I could go by the dimension of the cameras they are made for. My thought was to use the included knobs on ikelike and move them to match Sovereign. I see a lot don’t extend the knobs and enclose it all up, but do most think having controls available in waterproof box would be necessary? I will definitely have external p/p.

Digsalot, yours is the one I want to copy. Are you glad you have knobs available in water to adjust or do you find you hardly touch them in the surf?

Yes on having the adjustment knobs. I like and needed the ability to adjust the sensitivity and threshold during water depth changes. I did make a cover out of lexan for the knobs (don't have a pic right now) because I kept bumping them and would have to re-adjust more than I liked.
I'll take a picture of the knob cover and post it later.

I have the predecessor,the sov elite and I love the threshold with different tones in discrimination. I have the digital screen with it and it helps id targets. Swing that baby slow. It works great in the saltwater environment!

:wow2: Great setup. Access to the right adjustments, remote pinpoint, just plug in to charge, you (or Ron) thought of it all. Nice! Very nice!

Are you mounting on the handle or hip-mount?

What's the digital watch looking thing?

R5

Hip Mount. The box is a bit to heavy to mount on the shaft. The meter is to help ID the targets. I really don't use the meter much.

Attachments

• P1020641r.jpg
    P1020641r.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 264
  • P1020642r.jpg
    P1020642r.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 263
Hip Mount. The box is a bit to heavy to mount on the shaft.

Boy! I'll say! I hip mount the plain box and then use a carbon shaft with the SovWOT.

The meter is to help ID the targets. I really don't use the meter much.

Oh... meter... I should have known. Never used one on the Sov.

Here's a pic of the knob guard I made. You can still access the knobs for adjustments

Ooo... Ooo... knob guard... Excellent! :thumbsup:

R5

Right in my budget. Will waterproof it, read a lot. Was looking at ikelite cases on eBay. Would like to use waterproof knobs for on-the-go adjustments. Coming from AT Pro , but expecting a learning curve. Any of the tone cd tutorial or books worth getting ? I know nothing replaces getting out there and using it but want to get a leg up.

BTW, Good choice on the GT Mike. While you're gathering info and buying parts for waterproofing, you might think about a cheap hip-mount...

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=202495

R5

Back
Top Bottom