Old shotgun shell brass

SouthernJustice

I found these brass primer ends of old paper shotgun shells they include rem-umc shurshot, Winchester ranger, rem-umc new club, Winchester xpert, rem-umc nitro club Winchester nublack, and a western 410. And 2 that are unreadable. If anyone knows about these I would like to know an approximate date these were made and if there's any collectibility or value thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 7,104
You have some nice finds there! I will try to get you some information on them this evening if I can.

You asked about their collectibility and value. There is a small group of us out that that do collect them, but there is virtually not monetary value to them at all. Their real value is what they can tell you about the area you are hunting and the person who lost them.

If I cannot get your questions answered this evening, I will get you an answer tomorrow.

Once again, nice finds!
Doug

Yeah I like them I didn't know if people collected them I suppose I can clean them up the best I can and make a new display case for them. My great great grand father owned this farm but lost it in the depression I don know if Thea would date that same period or not. I am finding this was a pretty heavy hunted area I've found nearly 20 this week all being paper shells. And then a few broken horse shoes to go along with them.

Nice finds, Doug is the man ! You can date some of them by using the search feature here on site, Many of them I know he has answered before. Nice to see things your ancestors may have once held

I am having a very hard time making out some of the details in the pic, so I am going off what I can see. I could make a mistake here, if I am misreading them.

Your Rem-UMC Nitro Club has two different date ranges. Here is what a noted Remington historian says: 1911-1923. I have a real problem with this date range though. This particular headstamp was put into use around 1916/17 and was still advertised in their catalog in 1937 (stating it will be discontinued). I think the more accurate date will be 1916/17-1937.

The Western Xpert will date from approx. 1924-1927/32. It is a nice early example of this line of shells.

Without knowing if your Nublack was sold loaded or empty, the tightest date range I can give on it is 1905-1938.

The Rem-UMC Shur Shot will date from approx. 1924-1954. This is one of the most common headstamps found.

The Rem-UMC New Club is another one with two different date ranges. The noted Remington historian states the date range for this line of shells is 1911-1923. According to their catalogs the New Club was around until 1935. I cannot make out the headstamp so I will just give the entire date range that I feel is the most accurate and that is 1911-1935.

The Winchester Ranger is a very hard one for me to read. The entire date range for this line of shell is 1925 to the early 1960's. If it does not have "Made in USA" on it, it will date from 1925-1937. If it does, it will be 1937-1960's.

I will need a better pic of the .410 shell and some more time to research it.

You have some great finds here.

Congratulations.

Doug

Wow thanks so much for that information they all seem to fit into the time period of when my great great grandfather owned this farm. One more question what would be the best way to clean headatamps without damaging them. So far I've just rinsed them off with water.

Back
Top Bottom