• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I want to buy my Hubby a MD for Valentines - PLease Healp Me

Mikki

I want to give my hubby a metal detector for Valentines. He's never detected before but wants to try. We just bought an old 1920's farm house (http://www.24kgraphix.com/LazyO) and we believe there should be lots of goodies on our land since from just landscaping we've found lots of old coins.

Also, we take our RV to the same beach twice a year and we've always talk about how much fun detecting on the beach would be.

And heck guys, what do you buy the man that has everything????

I know nothing about them. What do I need to know and what do you reccommend? :?:

Mikki,
To get a real good entry level machine, the choice would be a Garrett ACE 250. Plenty of features, great coin sniffer, about $200.00. This is the best bang for the buck that you will find. TonyinCt is a dealer, and sponsor of this forum, and a good guy His banner appears at the top and it is T.C.Metaldetectors
Do not buy any off brand equipment or waste your time with a R.Shack machine. Stay with the name brands, Tony handles most of them and will advise you. Should you have an unlimited budget, Minelab Explorer II and Whites DFX are at the top of the heap $1000 - $1200. I would PM Tony since there is not a lot of time. Tony also has a website - TCMetaldetectors.com hope this helps!

:grin: Bill

Since your hubby has no experience detecting, You might want to start him with an entry level detector. Garrett "Ace" 250 or White's "prism" Both of these machines are rated high and will get a good trade in later if he wants to upgrade, or if he want's to "gasp" get out of the hobby, a better chance of selling it. If he is really Gung-ho and the budget is not tight, then I would go with a Gift card, (you can make one) and let him pick his own detector based on what he knows, and what his expectations are. That way he makes the decision and lives with it.............Good luck, and give Tony a buzz he will steer you right............Gil

If money is not a prime object, get him a White's DFX... He will be able to use it right away and will not need or want to upgrade in a few months...

It's great for all applications that you mentioned and if he tires of it, the resale value is way up there... We also have acreage with lots of history and that's what I just got... After buying a Whites Prizm 2 first, I decided that I'd need a bit more to handle the diverse needs, which appear to be similar to yours...

I'd be glad to help you out any way I can. I can ship overnite if need be or priority mail which is what I usually do . I'll split the overnite charges.Priority is FREE.
Thanks.

Thanks to all of you! Great info. He knows as little as I do about what is best. I tossed the idea of a MD at him last night and I saw a spark of interest and I told him I would do some research.

$200 sounds about right - until he knows if it's something he will enjoy I would think $1000 or more would be over-kill.

I'll show him this thread tomorrow - let him read what you've all had to say. He may have some questions himself.

Again - Thanks to all of you. I thought this would be a good place to start!

Mikki

For what it's worth, my advise would be to go with a mid range detector (price wise). It will offer better performance without having to worry about too many adjustments of some of the higher priced machines. Turn on and go should be what you are looking for.

Plus, if your husband decides it isn't for him, the detector can be easily sold on ebay to recoup most of the initial investment.

More likely though, your husband will really enjoy it, and if he started with an entry level detector, he would want to upgrade to a better detector. Thus, you end up spending a couple hundred for the first one, and several hundred more for another. Might as well spend it to begin with :)

Good luck and have fun!

My wife did the very same thing for my birthday 2 years ago. I got an entry level machine (around the $200 mark) and really enjoyed using it. One month later I significantly upgraded :) This year I got yet another for my 50th...

You don't have to go with a top of the line model, but I'd also look into getting something in the middle price range of MD's. Look around, ask questions and don't rush into anything. Lot's to choose from :) Tony should be able to help you narrow it down.

Heck if you're finding coins while landscaping, you'll both have a ball MD'ing. For the sake of the marriage you might as well get 2 :lol:

Mikki, you've been given a lot of good advice here on different machines, and I would also recommend you look at the Garrett ACE250. What I really wanted to suggest to you is about getting a good set of headphones with your detector. This is almost as important as what machine you choose. Get a good set of the large size dual volume adjustable headphones instead of the small walkman size. It will make a big difference in comfort, and in my opinion, results. I also recommend dealing with Tony. He's a very helpful and knowledgeable dealer. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Mikki said:
Thanks to all of you! Great info. He knows as little as I do about what is best. I tossed the idea of a MD at him last night and I saw a spark of interest and I told him I would do some research.

$200 sounds about right - until he knows if it's something he will enjoy I would think $1000 or more would be over-kill.

I'll show him this thread tomorrow - let him read what you've all had to say. He may have some questions himself.

Again - Thanks to all of you. I thought this would be a good place to start!

Mikki

The Garret Ace 250 is a great MD for only $200. You can get it from TonyinCT one of the forum sponsors. Go to

http://tcmetaldetectors.com/

Bob

new detector

Mikki,

You got some good advice, let me add mine from a little different perspective. Instead of an ID machine like the Ace try the Fisher 1236X2. It works great around old farm sites and fields and is one of the few lower priced detectors that actually works well on beaches.. even in the wet sand. Its a great first detector to learn on really! Having target ID to give you an idea of what in the ground is OK I guess, but there are more "neat items" in the ground than coins so having target ID is not really neccessary. Around old sites like you have, dig it all and enjoy the variety of interesting items of all sorts you will find. Holding something in your hand that was lost years ago is the fun part of the hobby.

Most dealers have the 1236X2 on sale for a very fair price considering the quality and performance it offers.

Tom

Re: I want to buy my Hubby a MD for Valentines - PLease Heal

we believe there should be lots of goodies on our land since from just landscaping we've found lots of old coins.

Just plant some more flowers and skip the detector :lol: I also recommend the ACE 250. It sound like you have a great opportunity, keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom