My Silver Coin Drought is Over

joe4077

Elite Member
After going through all of 2018 without a single silver coin, I was able to go out onto a frozen beach today and dig up 5 silver dimes. Luckily for me, with the sand being frozen, the coins were in the top 2 inches of sand. I was able to dig anything in one or two inches of sand that had thawed out with the sun. Anything deeper than that would have to wait until a warming trend.

I also had the good fortune to find a silver St. Christopher's medal with the chain still attached. The chain was on the surface, all jumbled up but the medal was covered with sand. When I ran my coil over it, it rang out like a silver quarter. I scooped it up and found it to be a silver medal. The medal is marked sterling so it could be an old piece.

By far, this was one of my best days in a long time. Due to a badly arthritic knee, I haven't been able to get out metal detecting like I used to do. So I'm pleased to have a day like this.

Here are the pics of my finds.

Attachments

• IMG_0290.JPG
    IMG_0290.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 265
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
:dingding:That many silvers in 1 hunt gets the dinger! That's more silver than I had the entire last year. Congrats on a great hunt.

Nice finds Joe. Ive been working the east end beaches, Smiths Point and West Hampton. Do you come out this way often or do you stay in the Robert Moses / JB area?

Steve

:dingding:That many silvers in 1 hunt gets the dinger! That's more silver than I had the entire last year. Congrats on a great hunt.

Thanks Felix. The Miami history goes way back so there has to be a lot of silver coins yet to be found. I guess you don't get the heavy winds to blow the sand around to expose the deeper stuff. We've had a number of Nor'Easters
these past few months so the sand really gets moved out.

Nice finds Joe. Ive been working the east end beaches, Smiths Point and West Hampton. Do you come out this way often or do you stay in the Robert Moses / JB area?

Steve

Thanks Steve. Smith Point and the Hamptons are quite a hike for me. So I usually work from Long Beach to Robert Moses. I do ok with that, but I will venture out east for a change of pace.

:wow: those are some clean beach silvers never come out that clean in my neck of the woods but then again ive never hunted the dry sand either congrats :D

The only silver coins I have seen in the past year and a half have been at the coin show. I have dug many thousands of coins at the beach and never a silver. I think I am jinxed. But I still find a piece of silver jewelry from time to time but I like finding silver coins.

Nice hunt, how do you get your beach silver to look like that? I've found two rosies and a 64 kennedy half and they are dull dark grey after being in silver oxide clumps

That's an amazing way to end the silver coin drought! Congrats on all the silver. WOuld like to see that chain and medal after they get cleaned up. Bet they'll look real nice.

Back
Top Bottom