To the Equinox user: The Gold you missed.....

Sandcrab

Elite Member
There was a spot I was working off and on for a while now. But with the new moon cycle, everything changed. I went back down to check it out and another person had hit part of it. I saw his drag marks, where he had dug which he nicely left uncovered and he was even nice enough to leave his pointy trash, iron or junk next to or in the hole…

I went back to my car to get my gear and walking up the beach was the person who was detecting. Scoop matched the holes and the coil matched where he put it down. He was talking to another person that was a couple cars over. He said with the tides it should get better, that he kept an eye on all the “boards”, was boasting to this person about all his finds. So he was a pelican, a vulture, looking to swoop in on any info posted. I did not get my gear out until he left, but I heard enough. He sure was not lacking in confidence, between his machine, his skills, the years he has detected. The gold must just jump into his scoop.

I geared up for the water, was not really concerned with the small ledge he was working. I did pick up what trash he left that was in reach and hit the water. I was detecting for about 10 minutes and I got this weird shock on my hip and a few minutes later I felt cold. I went back to the beach and checked my hip, where my finds bag presses to my hip a piece of sharp trash I picked up from him went through, sliced through my drysuit and cut me a little bit. There was about an inch gash on my Kokatat drysuit, now I was irked. For metal detecting this was the largest investment I ever made.

So back to the car, off with the drysuit and changed machines. I went back to his search area and walked it all, didn’t detect. I saw every dig, how deep, what he found, his stride, swing pattern, everything. He must be local to hit this spot. More than likely he is reading this. So to you, swinging the Equinox... I cleaned you out for now. Your deepest hole was maybe 8 inches and I am being generous. It was a mixture of black and grey sand in areas. You dug 24 times, 18 of the 24 were junk you left. You did come by 2 days later, saw your trail, and not one dig. I hit that area for a couple days straight, dug everything you missed and everything else that was even a whisper or tent peg, I dug it. On your search line, which you went down, back, down, back following the shoreline… Then along the waters edge and stopped detecting. You missed the small chain with the cross attached, the dolphin ring and the thin tiny one that was about a gram. Those were found in your search line. Along the water I took a picture of what you went right over that I dug up. There were 3 targets next to each other, but that ring was 14grams and maybe 10 inches. (Pic won't load, will keep trying...)

Unfortunately all the rings but the one in the sand were small, which puts the average I am interested in at the end of the year out of whack. In fact, I hate that kind of hunting, working a cut for me is the pits.

Interesting how a couple tide cycles can change everything, including target placement. I put more effort/was serious about detecting this spot than I ever do. I don’t have the passion about it like many who post. I am not competitive, to hammer an area when it is producing… Usually when I get enough, I leave. I have walked away from areas I know I could have gotten more. But not this time, had a reason. It sure did open my eyes about machines as well. So many tests I see, known target, known location, known depth, setting the machine for the exact placement or sand conditions, it’s a lot of smoke and mirrors. Can it give one an idea, maybe, but still not real world. It is a glimpse at best. I have never seen anyone detect like they do when they are testing.

Then the hype, arguments, how the Equinox can go to an area and find the “un-findable”, the depth... Even on the Minelab company board, the user’s find’s page has one user right now claiming 20+ inches… On a ring or coin no less, not a hubcap… Minelab posted that!!! That is almost the length of the lower rod… Like when a storm hits any coast, the finds increase. But what about the rest of the time? Is it really the Equinox? If so, with so many using the same machine, where is the edge?

Oh well, the pics show the finds, the junk, even a couple digs with the ring in it… Can’t seem to load the silver and costume (junk) jewelry picture. That odd piece seems like a button, but does not have the back for it. Not many unusual finds… Did I mention I hate cuts… And for the the sharp eyed, I figure you noticed the junk…

Attachments

• IMG_20190129_142336114.jpg
    IMG_20190129_142336114.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • IMG_20190129_141738770.jpg
    IMG_20190129_141738770.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 1,084
  • IMG_20190129_141750315.jpg
    IMG_20190129_141750315.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,197
  • IMG_20190129_141757708.jpg
    IMG_20190129_141757708.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • IMG_20190129_141909513_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20190129_141909513_HDR.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 1,223
  • IMG_20190129_141943830.jpg
    IMG_20190129_141943830.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_20180420_071924317.jpg
    IMG_20180420_071924317.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 1,080
  • IMG_20140903_142000240 (2).jpg
    IMG_20140903_142000240 (2).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,090
  • IMG_20140305_182246134.jpg
    IMG_20140305_182246134.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,081
I currently own a sand shark and a mx sport I almost was gonna sell both and get a equinox that is until I’ve seen people having a lot of chatter in the salt with the equinox. Some say you can run em wide open in the salt some say you gotta turn em down for chatter. Well the ol sand shark has no chatter and hits pretty dang deep. Glad I didn’t sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently own a sand shark and a mx sport I almost was gonna sell both and get a equinox that is until I’ve seen people having a lot of chatter in the salt with the equinox. Some say you can run em wide open in the salt some say you gotta turn em down for chatter. Well the ol sand shark has no chatter and hits pretty dang deep. Glad I didn’t sell

Have you tried a Nox yet?

Have you tried a Nox yet?

Nope. Decided to keep my sand shark and mx sport. I saw where users reported falsing and chatter in the salt water I don’t know if it was user error or what but I don’t like chatter

very nice haul there bill i would be pi$$ed if i saw all that garbage that other guy left behind as well hope you were able to patch up your drysuit sweet gold rings congrats again may i ask what were you swinging;);) ;) if it wasnt a nox :grin: i know what you were using :yes:

Last edited:

nox is actully a very good detector they run very stable i think, i dont have any problems when i take mine out

:dingding: Congrats on the gold and on the quest for it! Excellent write up as well!! I try to do my own thing when I am out there as well and break the patterns I see others doing. Curious as to what detector are you using - not that it matters when you know your machine.

nox is actully a very good detector they run very stable i think, i dont have any problems when i take mine out

I want to know. Can you run the equinox wide open in the salt water ? I hear mixed opinions it would be nice to know for sure

I want to know. Can you run the equinox wide open in the salt water ? I hear mixed opinions it would be nice to know for sure

for 1 it depends on where you live black sand etc,etc but here in CT max sens is 25 i run mine at around 23 you dont need max sens to find stuff

for 1 it depends on where you live black sand etc,etc but here in CT max sens is 25 i run mine at around 23 you dont need max sens to find stuff

I live on gulf coast of Florida white sand salt water so I’m unsure of how it would react. I wish I knew

I live on gulf coast of Florida white sand salt water so I’m unsure of how it would react. I wish I knew

maybe ask the florida hunters like itsaring,kapi,felix i think they could help you out im pretty sure they love there nox ive done very well with mine has paid for itself almost 2 times good luck to ya :D

They are on the other side of the Island. Different even there than it is in the Gulf... different sand and the salt can be different depending on area. NO the Nox wont run wide open in the salt water without chatter without reducing the settings..... and depth in beach 2 which is already working with reduced sensitivity. BUT..... shes as good as the other VLFs for depth and some PIs..... and seems to get smaller gold. Much like the Xcal...... i dont enjoy showing up to a beach seeing everyone with the same machine. Also, none of the VLFs ive ran will get the depth in the wet sand the Nox will...... and there you run beach 1 with more sensitivity and yes almost maxed out. Its got its faults.... pros and cons to all machines. Bill...... 10% of the people get 90% of the gold.:lol:

The good the bad and the ugly. If nothing else that other fellow gave you an inspiration and you took advantage and dug the great. Congrats on a lot of yellow. Sorry about the wet suite though. Trapper

Yeah...I’ve been there.

Some people don’t clean up there trash and I guess they think gold just falls in there scoops. Glad you were able to clean that spot up! I have the nox and I love it. But I plan on getting a pi one day. Maybe it’s this year I try a pi machine. I’m curious to what machine you are using?

..I hit that area for a couple days straight,…

I loved reading this post, but in all fairness, it's not like you walked out there and cleaned up 10 gold pieces minutes after the guy left. You hunted the same place day after day, tide cycle after tide cycle. The majority of hunters can only get out every so often. They have to strategize and make the most of their limited time.

Reminds me of when I used to fish bass tournments in New Hampshire. Would love following guys into a cove and fish right behind them and catch the fish the were too lazy to catch.

Congrats on the gold and cleaning up the beach. I'm on the Treasure Coast and use a 800 and the chatter depends on the beach and black sand, sea weed, depth of the water. And other things. I find the Nox a great machine. I also use a CTX. It don't have the depth as the CTX, and the CTX handels the changing conditions better. But it does find small gold and chains better. No machine is perfect. No machine is best for everbody. I think the key is know how to read the beach and conditions and knowing how your machine operates best in different conditions. IMO, if you don't do those things you'll miss most of what you are there for. Gold.

Back
Top Bottom