Why Are You Using Wired Headphones With Equinox ?

arw40

Forum Supporter
So, Being winter and such I have had some time to watch many videos and go over lots of forum posts. I have noticed one thing in particular and am just a bit curious. With the Equinox having bluetooth why are so many people still using wired headphones ?? This is one of the features that I love so much with this machine is NOT being tethered to the machine by wires. I have been using a pair of SOUNDPEAT earbuds since I got my Equinox and love them. They are super light and you dont even notice them in your ears. There is ZERO lag in these too. They are the sweat proof ones so I hunt in the rain, at the shore and no issues at all. I can get about 8 hours of hunting out of one charge. Lets face it you`re not going over your head in the water so to wear around a heavy pair of cumbersome over the ear headphones seems senseless to me. I can hear all targets just fine with the earbuds and yet I can still hear if somebody is approaching me also which you cant do wearing big headphones. Why would you want wires that get tangled up and keep you from putting down your machine ? These are just some observations and as I said I was just curious as to why some of you still opt to wear heavy over the ear headphones while using the Equinox.....? Everybody has their likes and dislikes so let me hear....Hope all are having a great winter...HH

I use wireless Over the ear headphones and too love being untethered..

why use over the ear.. well the work like freaking earmuffs and are way warmer this time of year.. summer yes ear buds.

I use my apple ear buds because there super loud! My wireless headset fell apart
7 months after use. I honestly didn’t like how quiet they were anyway.

Love my wireless headphones for land and beach hunting. The only downside of Bluetooth is that it doesn’t work underwater, so if the control unit goes underwater the signal to the phones is blocked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I only use the wired as I do 99% of my detecting in the water. Being limited to waist deep water so I don't loose the signals is a no go for me. The little time I spend out of the water I will go wireless if I plan on detecting for more than an hour as removing / reattaching the adapter cable is a PITA.

I would love to see Bluetooth or some other wireless connection that would / could be employed so the transmission would not be hindered by water...maybe in the far future. Something I doubt that I will ever see on a detector.

Love my wireless headphones for land and beach hunting. The only downside of Bluetooth is that it doesn’t work underwater, so if the control unit goes underwater the signal to the phones is blocked.

Right here is the Primary reason Snohomish described!! Secondarily, with waterproof phones connected straight to the rig, the cord acts like a surfboard tether in the event of a serious rogue wave knockdown..Which is gonna eventually happen especially when hunting in Chest deep Big water...

If a guy is only gonna wade waist deep in an inland duck pond or sweep the dry sand looking for pennies, then OK..the wireless phones on the NOX work just fine...

But if thats how a guy is gonna hunt, why not just buy a plastic vegetable collander to use as a scoop and a Craigs List Bounty Hunter?:laughing:

Thing is, its good to be hardwired in certain situations.... Wireless headphones have some constraints and drawbacks, a guy has to put his cellphone on airplane mode for one...

Agreed...That being said here in the Northeast I made 6 trips to the coast of New Hampshire and Maine last season. Not once on any trip did I observe ANYBODY more than waist deep in the water and some mornings I could count as many as 12 guys on the beach....I guess myself I plan my trips around good minus tides so you can really get out there and there is no need to go over waist deep...Most hunters I talked to over there have 90% of their luck in the wet sand on a good minus tide. Also, a least up here there is normally a good surf so going deeper than that is just not feasible as its too hard to dig trying to battle the waves....I do get what you`re saying though. I guess guys hunting warmer waters can give it a better go in the deeper waters...Thanks for your imput...

Agreed...That being said here in the Northeast I made 6 trips to the coast of New Hampshire and Maine last season. Not once on any trip did I observe ANYBODY more than waist deep in the water and some mornings I could count as many as 12 guys on the beach....I guess myself I plan my trips around good minus tides so you can really get out there and there is no need to go over waist deep...Most hunters I talked to over there have 90% of their luck in the wet sand on a good minus tide. Also, a least up here there is normally a good surf so going deeper than that is just not feasible as its too hard to dig trying to battle the waves....I do get what you`re saying though. I guess guys hunting warmer waters can give it a better go in the deeper waters...Thanks for your imput...

Thats a wonderful observation of Most Metal Detectorists..so theres those weekend guys...then theres the Year round guys that pull extreme gold pay year after year and are never seen..The top 3%ers.....Even in the Northern climes...

These gold finders are up at 4 and out the door! Their nuts are soaking wet at 5am or sooner... on the daily... and they are gone by 7am off to work a real job..Then the old guys show up to sweep for fresh drops in the shallow water and towel line, and then they post... "Hey! Lookat this Hotwheel car!".....:laughing:....

Attachments

• sept 20-16-2.jpg
    sept 20-16-2.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1,208
Thats a wonderful observation of Most Metal Detectorists..so theres those weekend guys...then theres the Year round guys that pull extreme gold pay year after year and are never seen..The top 3%ers.....Even in the Northern climes...

These gold finders are up at 4 and out the door! Their nuts are soaking wet at 5am or sooner... on the daily... and they are gone by 7am off to work a real job..Then the old guys show up to sweep for fresh drops in the shallow water and towel line, and then they post... "Hey! Lookat this Hotwheel car!".....:laughing:....

Too funny John, Yeah like you said some of the hardcore hunters up here told me their best hunting is in the winter months just waiting around for the Noreasters to peel 4' of sand off the beaches...Showed me some outstanding older gold finds after winter storms came through...Sorry, Im not one of those hunters thats gonna be out there in 10 degrees but like you said thats the difference between a so so season and an outstanding season...Im out at it early if the tides come at those early hours when I make it to the coast...All my trips there are strictly beach detecting trips so im at it 8 hours or more...followed by many cold beers !

I use the WM08 with the wired headphones, but mainly because I'm too cheap to buy NICE low latency wireless headphones.

the work well, but I don't like the length of the cables. I'm thinking of attaching the WM08 to the headphones themselves so the cable doesn't hang

Im connected because i do almost all water hunting...... and a good bit of that time the box is under water.

I only use the wired as I do 99% of my detecting in the water. Being limited to waist deep water so I don't loose the signals is a no go for me. The little time I spend out of the water I will go wireless if I plan on detecting for more than an hour as removing / reattaching the adapter cable is a PITA.

I would love to see Bluetooth or some other wireless connection that would / could be employed so the transmission would not be hindered by water...maybe in the far future. Something I doubt that I will ever see on a detector.

X2 - completely agree - had a lady come up to me who lost her ring this past summer and I couldn't get out far enough to find it for her - had to say sorry and tried to explain the limitations to the Bluetooth...… always wondered if she thought I was lying and thought I'd go back once she left......

I hunt in the water up to the control box with Trond wireless BT headphones with no issue. I have no desire to hunt any deeper than the control box anyway. I agree with the OP, the wireless aspect is the best part of the nox. I hated the corded phones on my old excals.

I don't know that i'll even bother with the waterproof headphones w/ the cord.

I do not have a NOX but I find no problem with being wired to my detector. In fact I like having it connected just in case I drop it in the ocean

When I got my first machine, the AT Pro I hated being tethered to it with the wired headphones, so much so that I made it ‘wireless’ with a transmitter and earbuds. Now with the equinox I can’t imagine going back to wired.

So, Being winter and such I have had some time to watch many videos and go over lots of forum posts. I have noticed one thing in particular and am just a bit curious. With the Equinox having bluetooth why are so many people still using wired headphones ?? This is one of the features that I love so much with this machine is NOT being tethered to the machine by wires. I have been using a pair of SOUNDPEAT earbuds since I got my Equinox and love them. They are super light and you dont even notice them in your ears. There is ZERO lag in these too. They are the sweat proof ones so I hunt in the rain, at the shore and no issues at all. I can get about 8 hours of hunting out of one charge. Lets face it you`re not going over your head in the water so to wear around a heavy pair of cumbersome over the ear headphones seems senseless to me. I can hear all targets just fine with the earbuds and yet I can still hear if somebody is approaching me also which you cant do wearing big headphones. Why would you want wires that get tangled up and keep you from putting down your machine ? These are just some observations and as I said I was just curious as to why some of you still opt to wear heavy over the ear headphones while using the Equinox.....? Everybody has their likes and dislikes so let me hear....Hope all are having a great winter...HH

Hi there ARW, I purchased a NOX 600 a few months ago and am interested in the Soundpeats. Can you tell me the model # of yours. There seems to be quite a few models. Thanks

My personal reasons (during the short time I had an 800) was:

a) hassle of having to "pair" them, a separate thing to turn on, & a separate battery to worry about being charged.

b) A personal bias worry (perhaps unfounded) that ANY other accessory sending a signal (blue-tooth) could have a slight affect on performance of the machine . Eg.: cross-talk. EVEN IF NOT AUDIBLE, I have a personal bias, ever since I noticed that my cellphone bluetooth WAS INDEED affecting my detector (albeit only slightly, yet I noticed signals "cleaned up" when I was off a call, not using cellphone blue-tooth, etc....

c) wired headphones never bothered me one bit.

Hi there ARW, I purchased a NOX 600 a few months ago and am interested in the Soundpeats. Can you tell me the model # of yours. There seems to be quite a few models. Thanks

welcome to the forum....I currently have the Soundpeat Q12 sweat proof ear buds. I wanna say I paid like $25-$30 for them...I dont even notice their in my ears and yet I can hear if anybody is approaching me. I never had an issue with lag and really love them.

Back
Top Bottom