Ring Lost in a Torrent

goldpaninut

Several days ago I got a message from a gentleman from Trail, Oregon saying he had recently lost his $1500 wedding ring in the creek. The stream was in flood stage and he was removing debris from along his fence line. When he got back to his house he was horrified to discover his ring was missing. I met him this morning at 11 am amid the rain, and we walked to where he guessed he lost it. The creek had gone down a lot and we stood a good chance of finding it. He pointed out about where he thought it was, among some 2 foot boulders. Moving them I got a couple good signals, but it turned out to be pieces of iron. I was using my Whites under water detector because it goes so deep, and has never let me down yet. The only draw back is it does not discriminate. Moving down closer to the creek in a soft mushy grassy area I got a great signal, & digging only an inch we found the lid to a mason jar! I started detecting again and only 2 feet away I got another loud signal. Only a half inch below the grass was his big beautiful ring! He had looked for it before and had stepped on it, driving it down out of sight while it was still under water. We had found it in only 10 minutes! He was so happy he gave me a mighty handsome reward even though I said he owed me nothing. No matter how much I protested, he insisted I take the reward......5 one ounce pure silver coins! Its always so refreshing to help someone retrieve something important to them!

Attachments

• IMG_8249.jpg
    IMG_8249.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_8252.jpg
    IMG_8252.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_8259 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8259 - Copy.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 337
Several days ago I got a message from a gentleman from Trail, Oregon saying he had recently lost his $1500 wedding ring in the creek. The stream was in flood stage and he was removing debris from along his fence line. When he got back to his house he was horrified to discover his ring was missing. I met him this morning at 11 am amid the rain, and we walked to where he guessed he lost it. The creek had gone down a lot and we stood a good chance of finding it. He pointed out about where he thought it was, among some 2 foot boulders. Moving them I got a couple good signals, but it turned out to be pieces of iron. I was using my Whites under water detector because it goes so deep, and has never let me down yet. The only draw back is it does not discriminate. Moving down closer to the creek in a soft mushy grassy area I got a great signal, & digging only an inch we found the lid to a mason jar! I started detecting again and only 2 feet away I got another loud signal. Only a half inch below the grass was his big beautiful ring! He had looked for it before and had stepped on it, driving it down out of sight while it was still under water. We had found it in only 10 minutes! He was so happy he gave me a mighty handsome reward even though I said he owed me nothing. No matter how much I protested, he insisted I take the reward......5 one ounce pure silver coins! Its always so refreshing to help someone retrieve something important to them!

Simply AWESOME MIke !!! .. Now get us permission to hunt the rest of his property.. I mean if he has silver like that laying around and he's prone to losing things :laughing:

Thanks for the Great story and one very nice recovery!

Gr8 recovery. Conga-rats to you and him! :egyptian::egyptian::egyptian:

Those silver coins are beautiful as well.

R5

In under 10 mins? Amazing!!!

Did he happen to tell you what the ring says? It’s a beauty!

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

Luv those sherlock holmes "whodunnit mysteries" solved by the md'r. Thanx for sharing . Congratz !

It truly is a great feeling to return something that means so much to someone else. 5 oz. of quality silver is a very nice reward indeed. I salute you.
Thanks for the story:grin:

Great story! I'm glad you were able to find his ring! The was mighty nice of him to reward you with some silver as well.

Wow, that is incredible. Great story and congrats for finding that ring. I would say you are lucky based on the conditions but to find it so quickly is awesome.

I have discovered that some folks will not take NO for an answer. I have had some folks who would not give up until a reward was taken. Of course I have had a couple who said a half hearted "Thanks" and turn their back and walk off. You did the man a real service. Beautiful coins by the way.

Back
Top Bottom