Considering a new detector ?

Bajanick

Elite Member
Ive got a whites M6 that I have been using for long time, It does well but I feel I am not

getting as deep as I should with the stock coil. I usually hunt grass strips and I use the 5.3

coil, but that is very limited on depth. I also have an MXT, an original one, I feel it is old

and outdated and I cannot stand the threshhold noise :no:

Whites are the only detectors I have used way back starting with a 4900, If I remember

correctly.

Question... Are the Whites MX7 and the Garrett AT Pro comparable?
From what I have been looking at they seem to be, but garrett offers the wireless setup.
and I dont know if I have the funds to spring for the ATMax.

I kinda would like to try a garrett because of all the good things Ive been seeing about

them.

Thanks.

I own 2, M6 units, and get good depth with the stock coil. My second coil I mainly use on the M6 is the Detech 8x6. Decent depth there as well. I never used a 5.3 coil. It is logical that you'll only get about 5 and 6 inches with that coil size, with just about any detector. My new Equinox and the 6" coil totally rocks in depth though. That's what I suggest.

Adding an 8x6 Detech to the M6 might be a more affordable move.

Bajanick said:
Ive got a whites M6 that I have been using for long time, It does well but I feel I am not getting as deep as I should with the stock coil.
How 'deep' do you think you need top get? What types of sites do you generally hunt that might have 'deep' targets and what type of targets are you after?

The White's M6 gets in-the-field performance almost on par with the original MXT or the MXT-Pro with comparable adjustments and using the same search coil.

Bajanick said:
I usually hunt grass strips and I use the 5.3 coil, but that is very limited on depth. I also have an MXT, an original one, I feel it is old and outdated and I cannot stand the threshhold noise :no:
Of the MXT 'series' my favorite was the MXT Pro, and with all of them and with current production offerings, I prefer that coil as my regular-use search coil. Don't be delusioned by the marketing name which was an error. That search coil measures 6½" in diameter, not 5.3, and I have had very impressive performance with it.

If you usually hunt grass strips, which I take to mean the easements between a curb and sidewalk type location, then you will usually be better off with a 6½" Concentric coil than with the 950 Concentric standard M6 coil.

If you do not like the Threshold audio on the MXT, simply reduce the tuner so the point where the audible Threshold is just barely silent. That would mimic the silent-search M6.

Bajanick said:
Whites are the only detectors I have used way back starting with a 4900, If I remember correctly.
I have used White's since the summer of 1968. Some models are very good, but many I haven't cared for. There are very good units from some of their competitors, too.

Bajanick said:
NO, definitely not. The MX-7 offers far more adjustment functions, is more comfortably balanced, and gets far better depth of detection and all-purpose performance.

Bajanick said:
From what I have been looking at they seem to be, but garrett offers the wireless setup.nd I dont know if I have the funds to spring for the ATMax.
I've also tried the AT Max and I think Garrett has some catching up to do. It isn't all that much of an improvement on the AT Pro, and still falls short of adjustment features and field performance compared to many competitive models. Wireless is a feature to consider, but doesn't do anything to enhance a detector's overall performance.

Bajanick said:
I kinda would like to try a garrett because of all the good things Ive been seeing about them.

Thanks.
If you've 'seen' things it's probably just You Tuibe type videos you're getting your information from. Try to find a few models you can get your hands on and you'll be able to discern the real differences in what detectors offer.

Monte

Monte, I rarely ever get targets over 6 inches with the stock coil. Could be there is simply

nothing there. :tumbleweed:

I usually hunt grass strips and use the 5.3 most of the time.

Last weekend I changed things up and switched to the stock M6 coil and feel that it did not

do much good on depth.

Maybe I will try the Detech 8x6 and see how that does, but I do like the 5.3 for separating

targets.

Thanks.

Yea, I almost purchased a detech 8x6 about a year ago but did not.

Btw, the 8x6 Detech out hunts the White's 6x10DD also, just in case you get the whim to go Whites "all the way." My M6 and the V3i both hit coins at 7-9 inches with the Detech. The 6x10 has almost never found coins at 7 inches with good ID, in my Texas clay soil. My 6x10 Eclipse is literally in a corner covered in dust.

Bajanick said:
Monte, I rarely ever get targets over 6 inches with the stock coil. Could be there is simply nothing there. :tumbleweed:
So often we read where people want 'depth' but not all desirables are going to be deep. Just wrapping up my 54th year of having fun finding stuff, and I know fully well that most of the sites I search produce the most coin-size targets from surface to about 4", and to get a coin in the deeper 5" to 7" depth range is not very common. Yes, coins can be located deeper at times, but there has to be direct causes for it such as being in a fluid state, leafage and grass build-up, erosion, or displacement such as being in a wet or muddy environment and being driven over or stepped on, etc.

Bajanick said:
Almost all of my detecting, urban or rural, has been handled using search coils in the ±5" to 7" size, including that 6½" diameter coil on White's detectors. They handle dense trash well and get very adequate detection depth where most of the coins are located.

Bajanick said:
Last weekend I changed things up and switched to the stock M6 coil and feel that it did not do much good on depth.
They can get a little better depth, if targets are deeper, but I very seldom, if ever, use the 950 or larger coils on any White's device.

Bajanick said:
Maybe I will try the Detech 8x6 and see how that does, but I do like the 5.3 for separating targets.
I've used that coil, and have friends who bought them in the past only to get rid of them because, overall, they had better performance with White's 6½" Concentric coil.

Just use the highest Sensitivity level you can w/o chatter to get the best depth achievable for your area.

Monte

So often we read where people want 'depth' but not all desirables are going to be deep. Just wrapping up my 54th year of having fun finding stuff, and I know fully well that most of the sites I search produce the most coin-size targets from surface to about 4", and to get a coin in the deeper 5" to 7" depth range is not very common. Yes, coins can be located deeper at times, but there has to be direct causes for it such as being in a fluid state, leafage and grass build-up, erosion, or displacement such as being in a wet or muddy environment and being driven over or stepped on, etc.

Good reminder Monte on the "MORE DEPTH" phenomenon. 90% of my finds have also been from "eyeballed" to 6 inches. Good research and a good site will win every time and can even make a discounted Harbor Freight detector look good.:D

If it ain't there?? IT AIN'T THERE!!!

Last edited:
Ive got a whites M6 that I have been using for long time, It does well but I feel I am not

getting as deep as I should with the stock coil. I usually hunt grass strips and I use the 5.3

coil, but that is very limited on depth. I also have an MXT, an original one, I feel it is old

and outdated and I cannot stand the threshhold noise :no:

Whites are the only detectors I have used way back starting with a 4900, If I remember

correctly.

From what I have been looking at they seem to be, but garrett offers the wireless setup.
and I dont know if I have the funds to spring for the ATMax.

I kinda would like to try a garrett because of all the good things Ive been seeing about

them.

Thanks.

honestly.i would stay with white's m6 this has been an outstanding detector for many,many years.all the reviews are awesome,as it does indeed go deep with the stock coil.it is truly a 'sleeper" in the line up! ask yourself this question!.."why did whites drop it from the line,and THEN "bring it back?" i;ll tell you why!..it's because whitey knows it is one hell of a coin and jewelry sniper,and it "still" sells after being around since '06.also,the mx-5 did NOT sell well. trust me,you really don't need to spend the money to replace it! google metaldetectorreviews.com and read what they have to say about it,or any other forum you care to mention!
as the asians say!..it's suuuup to you!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Monte, I rarely ever get targets over 6 inches with the stock coil. Could be there is simply

nothing there. :tumbleweed:

Last weekend I changed things up and switched to the stock M6 coil and feel that it did not

do much good on depth.

Maybe I will try the Detech 8x6 and see how that does, but I do like the 5.3 for separating

targets.

Thanks.

yes! the 5.3 eclipse is an outrageously "good" coil especially for junked out areas,and curb strips.again,the m6 has been around a long time,but as mentioned,there are reasons for this!..it really is a "killer" coin and jewelry detector. they brought it back after dumping it,because they knew they made a "mistake!"damn detector still shows steady sales.

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Oh no, I have no plans to abandon the M6, Its my goto detector and the MXT is the

backup.

Never having used another brand i would like to try some others to see how they respond and feel.
:drive:

Back
Top Bottom