First Class Ring

TheKrustyClad

The wind was howling 20+mph so water hunting wasn't an option, but I still had some time to burn and wanted to get my feet sandy. So I went down yonder to the local watering hole in the quaint, quiet little town of Miami, Fl. Maybe some of you guys have heard of it. I've been to this beach several times before and it always produces lots of targets, particularly heavily degraded pennies but nothing good yet and I had a hunch there was something good there. I think FelixtheCat hunts nearby areas. Pulled this nice little ring from 2016 out within the first hour while hunting the towel line. After three more hours and lots of pennies/pop tabs, I called it quits.

It's a Herff Jones 10k gold ring. Now, as you can see in the photo, it's heavily tarnished and has some degree of corrosion on it. I was hoping to clean it up nicely, but not sure how to go about it? Any suggestions? I'm not used to gold looking as rough as this. But this sand mix is apparently pretty corrosive. The one photo shows a penny with holes eaten through it...

Thanks for viewing!

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 399
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 365
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 367
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 371
Wow that looks pretty green/pitted for a newer ring.

why bother unless you are going to keep it for yourself.

if gong to return it return it as is
if your going to melt it .. melt it as is..
If your going to keep it.. Try Tarn X

but be careful

We have a member on here that has tried to clean 10K rings from the beaches in Florida, Kapi. She has had them break because they are brittle after being underwater so long.

No idea how old your ring is but there is a member in Australia that cleans 9K rings with success. You might want to PM Meggie.

Congrads on a Very NIce Save!!

That ring is in great condition, just get some Mothers Polish. I find a lot of tarnished 10ks, Mothers is the trick along with a nice clean bath towel. Your fingers will be black when done but she sure makes the gold rings look New!

Attachments

• OBN0002.jpg
    OBN0002.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 333
  • download.jpg
    download.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 322
That ring is in great condition, just get some Mothers Polish. I find a lot of tarnished 10ks, Mothers is the trick along with a nice clean bath towel. Your fingers will be black when done but she sure makes the gold rings look New!

Now here is one guy that would know!

I didn't know you cleaned them OBN. So I didn't think of you. THANK YOU also. I am going to start to clean some of my keepers.

Now here is one guy that would know!

I didn't know you cleaned them OBN. So I didn't think of you. THANK YOU also. I am going to start to clean some of my keepers.

Crazy, but I think that is part of the fun cleaning the gold. The silver ...not so much, maybe break the crust to see what it is or the date. I must be a old goat cause it's one of my simple pleasures doing this.

1st class ring...

:dingding: And I am still awaiting that milestone. A friend of mine that detects, did jewelry work, (and refurbed my Excal) believes that the leaves from the trees on these beaches creates acidic tannins that impact and tarnish gold. Any 10K and even 14K that are in this muddy sand for any period of time get tarnished.

OBN, Thank you again. Rainy and cold today so I thought why not? Went to the auto store and bought some Mother's.

I played a little and cleaned a few of my rings. Not all the way but boy is there a difference. Doesn't take too long either.

I know there are more rings in the after picture. I cleaned a couple before i decided to take it.

You will be very happy with this stuff. Now to go back and finish!

OBN, Thank you again. Rainy and cold today so I thought why not? Went to the auto store and bought some Mother's.

I played a little and cleaned a few of my rings. Not all the way but boy is there a difference. Doesn't take too long either.

Scuba those look great!! Wow! Nice job!!

Back
Top Bottom