ctx first time saltwater hunt

Dflan83

Elite Member
heading to the beach soon for a week and wanted to take my ctx. The unit is still under warranty but I want to protect it as best as I can while I am there. The machine itself is about half a year old but I was wondering what other additional steps I need to take to keep this thing waterproof. I plan on staying in the "Mommy Zone" or 3ft of water or less but the occasional wave will hit me. Other than that I plan on hitting low tide as often as I can.

My usb port is all stock on my ctx and I have the CTX v2. Do I need to purchase an O ring for this?

After hunting I plan to rinse down the machine really well and inspect the battery o ring for any sand/debris.

Am I forgetting anything?

heading to the beach soon for a week and wanted to take my ctx. The unit is still under warranty but I want to protect it as best as I can while I am there. The machine itself is about half a year old but I was wondering what other additional steps I need to take to keep this thing waterproof. I plan on staying in the "Mommy Zone" or 3ft of water or less but the occasional wave will hit me. Other than that I plan on hitting low tide as often as I can.

My usb port is all stock on my ctx and I have the CTX v2. Do I need to purchase an O ring for this?

After hunting I plan to rinse down the machine really well and inspect the battery o ring for any sand/debris.

Am I forgetting anything?

Since mine is out of warranty I don't submerge it anymore. Thinking hard about buying a new one and for water hunting id likely use disposable batteries instead of the Lithium pack. I dig fresh phones with lipo and the batteries hit saltwater and get nasty looking. Disposables at least I got a chance they just look bad if wet. Main thing is make sure you got no sand on the gasket. Check both connections inside. You swing a long time the coil wire swinging inside can loosen the connection a bit. Mines done it a couple times. But I change coils all the time.

I have mine with new larger gaskets. But Like itsa mine is out of warranty. I put a hevy duty zip lock bag over the battery head and use clear packing tape around the bottom. Then I take it under water if I want. I think that trick will catch up with me.

Ive not had an issue in neck deep water using a 2.5 mm O ring. I unlatch my shaft IN the water and move it to ensure it move freely. Then rinse later. I remove my O ring and run it under hot water.... when cleaned this way it has a natural stickness so I dont use silocone. I also use a thick O ring on the computer port. I dont know I love that lith battery. I sprayed the termals with corrosive x and wipped excess off just in case.

No... i believe its a 1.5mm. Because some upgraded to the 2mm and havent had an issue..... but they have to really take care before dunking it. I bought mine to get it wet. Its paid for its self but if it dont hold up to my normal hunting then why have it? I bought it as an all around machine...... so far id say its done well. There are better machine.. that wont leak, will pick up smaller gold, and are the right machine for the job.......... but none seem to do it all. So the CTX is a good option.

Dew

No... i believe its a 1.5mm. Because some upgraded to the 2mm and havent had an issue..... but they have to really take care before dunking it. I bought mine to get it wet. Its paid for its self but if it dont hold up to my normal hunting then why have it? I bought it as an all around machine...... so far id say its done well. There are better machine.. that wont leak, will pick up smaller gold, and are the right machine for the job.......... but none seem to do it all. So the CTX is a good option.

Dew
Thanks I'll be picking up the bigger o rings before I head there.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom