digging a hole in sand with out the hole collapse ?

PAUL - 491

digging in sand with out the hole collapse seen one guy using a post hole diger seems heavy 3 inch x12 trench spade wonder how that works ?

Don't go on the beach with a post hole digger you will get kicked out or if park people see that will ban detecting... Sheesh.. some people shouldn't be in this hobby because they will ruin it for the rest.

Sand is always going to fall into the hole its why you use a big beach scoop and after your through finding your target you fill your hole in and smooth it over.

:lol: :lol: I saw someone (detectorist) just recently walking the beach (fresh water) with a regular garden shovel (at least 5' long) and a spade shovel. I could not believe my eyes!! I think you should be a little more discrete then that.

i use gasoline 2 stroke auger like icefisherman use and never had a problem 1n never failed to extract the item i was after digging and 2 no 1n ever said a thing about it to me and its alot faster than shovels scoops and the old last resort on hands and knees digging like a DOG!

fulkne12 said:
i use gasoline 2 stroke auger like icefisherman use and never had a problem 1n never failed to extract the item i was after digging and 2 no 1n ever said a thing about it to me and its alot faster than shovels scoops and the old last resort on hands and knees digging like a DOG!

Its not a matter of being faster you should be concerned with fulkne12... For me and only me its my opinion that using such a device its detrimental to our hobby... We are supposed to make holes and fill them in like we were never there... Hopefully you're filling in the craters your auger is making.

Me thinks fulkne12 was being TIC. Ever try hauling a gas auger around? Believe me a scand scoop would be much easier :lol:

i live in florida for 30 years but never dug to much in the sand but i found a small spade shovel at ace hardeware lite and its the best for me small .. filling in the hole is common sense.but i see holes 3 foot deep dug by kids all the time here and never filled in. i seen a tracktor come by in the morrins and use a sled to smooth out in some places.as for a post hole diger you mys well use a backhoe aaaaaaaaa :lol:

yea to each their own what we wish to pack or have the abaility to pack( i puyll a heavy load when i dete)i do fill all holes large and small except when i know the breakwater will cover it for me in a matter of time b 4 others could possabally walk to or into it.i can say this much using a power auger will help identify what i search for it bvlows the objects out of the whole so fast and thins the sand debris to a layer thin anough to spot a dime!harder to fill the hole tho i gotta sweep it all up with a broom and dustpan to fill the hole.

PAUL - 491 said:
i live in florida for 30 years but never dug to much in the sand but i found a small spade shovel at ace hardeware lite and its the best for me small .. filling in the hole is common sense.but i see holes 3 foot deep dug by kids all the time here and never filled in. i seen a tracktor come by in the morrins and use a sled to smooth out in some places.as for a post hole diger you mys well use a backhoe aaaaaaaaa :lol:

Paul... Children are looked at as innocent and are playing in the sand.. but some people see us as pirates and are taking things that don't belong to us, they don't see us as having a hobby they see us as robbing from others.

I saw a guy detecting a beach in my state last year and he wasn't filling his holes so I confronted him asking him nicely to please fill his holes in and when he laughed and kept going I stopped detecting and reported him and he was kicked off the beach and I was thanked by the park people and they shared with me where they took the beach sweepers stuff if I wanted to detect it. If I see someone who I believe can and is hurting our hobby I will report the person in question. We don't need bad apples...

Hire some illegal imigrants to do the digging for you, they work real cheep. Plus they usually have a strong back so they can carry heavy loads :D

If I see someone who I believe can and is hurting our hobby I will report the person in question. We don't need bad apples...

One good reason to have gun control laws :grin:

IMHO any powered device is more likely to damage delicate jewelry. I wonder how one would feel after extracting a beautiful diamond ring to find the diamond missing. Yes we do scoop up rings that have missing stones, but thats due to the action of the tidal/wave movement of sand & rocks.
No powered digger for me.
Maybe these power digger guys are just making fun. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom