Question / Detecting off season beaches

sandyfeet

Do many of you surf hunters find jewelry in the off season or are most of your finds during the summer months? Is it worth buying a wetsuit and hunting the winter months? The water down here in NC/SC doesn't get "that" cold during the winter and lately we have had alot of 70 deg. days.

Winter is my favorite time to hunt SF.. During the summer the sand moves in and you are usually only finding fresh drops, during the winter the sand moves out exposing the older deeper finds.

I personally prefer to hunt small beaches that are not used by many today but were used heavily in the past and a good part of my finds are quite old going back to the 1800's and early 1900's.

During the winter the water temps usually get into the mid 30's and I use waders, a little dangerous but I prefer that than a wet suit.

Cfmct-PI said:
Winter is my favorite time to hunt SF.. During the summer the sand moves in and you are usually only finding fresh drops, during the winter the sand moves out exposing the older deeper finds.

I personally prefer to hunt small beaches that are not used by many today but were used heavily in the past and a good part of my finds are quite old going back to the 1800's and early 1900's.

During the winter the water temps usually get into the mid 30's and I use waders, a little dangerous but I prefer that than a wet suit.
Thanks for the reply, I can't imagine water in the 30s, Down here in NC The coldest the water gets in the winter is in the 50s
Thanks again :yes:

Craig, do you wear stocking neoprene waders...such as farmer John's? I'm debating on some, but hard to find any for women that fit...especially with stockings.

Trudy

Scrltt641 said:
Craig, do you wear stocking neoprene waders...such as farmer John's? I'm debating on some, but hard to find any for women that fit...especially with stockings.

Trudy

Trudy, I'm using Gortex waders from Simms, they are not cheap but they are light and so far plenty warm enough, my hunting partner has had his Simms waders for 15 years now. Have you checked places like Sports Authority or Dicks Sporting Goods?

I bought my waders from a local fishing store and I think I paid $269.00 I like them because it feels like I'm not wearing any waders at all and neoprene makes you sweat and I don't like that.

Here is a site for Simms I believe Pro Bass Shops carry the line and they are cheaper there.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_CATEGORY&CAT=waders

Cfmct-PI said:
Scrltt641 said:

Trudy

Trudy, I'm using Gortex waders from Simms, they are not cheap but they are light and so far plenty warm enough, my hunting partner has had his Simms waders for 15 years now. Have you checked places like Sports Authority or Dicks Sporting Goods?

I bought my waders from a local fishing store and I think I paid $269.00 I like them because it feels like I'm not wearing any waders at all and neoprene makes you sweat and I don't like that.

Here is a site for Simms I believe Pro Bass Shops carry the line and they are cheaper there.

http://www.simmsfishing.com/za/SIM?PAGE=PRODUCT_CATEGORY&CAT=waders
Are they waist high or bibs?

Like Craig said Winter is a very productive time to hunt!!!

I have got my best gold ring count in one hunt during winter.After a good Nor'Easter the finds can be great!! lots of really old stuff turns up in winter also!!! dress warm and get out there!! Winter golds waiting...no crowds eather!! HH

Thanks for all the info guys, I still haven't made up my mind on a wet suit or waders, I know the Simms products are top of the line and worth the money and I can use them surf fishing also. :yes: :yes:

Back
Top Bottom