South Florida Experiment

You have inspired me. I leave next week to a beach I go to once a year. I am making several lead rings to disperse. They will be marked with individual identification and my telephone number.

I may never see any of them again, or get a response from someone else who found one. But, what if I do?

It is worth the effort, which I found is not all that hard.

I had no experience with lead or pouring metal or molds or anything prior to this. Last night, I made the molds from a chunk of 2x8 using a hole saw (pic #1). Then made a melting pot out of a soup can (pic#2). I found melting lead was easy and even poured two rings (pic #3). Tonight I plan on pouring the rest and letting them cool. I will have to break the 2x8 to get them out without bending them. Will update with more pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• hole.jpg
    hole.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 64
  • can.jpg
    can.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 65
  • rings.jpg
    rings.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 63
You have inspired me. I leave next week to a beach I go to once a year. I am making several lead rings to disperse. They will be marked with individual identification and my telephone number.

I may never see any of them again, or get a response from someone else who found one. But, what if I do?

It is worth the effort, which I found is not all that hard.

I had no experience with lead or pouring metal or molds or anything prior to this. Last night, I made the molds from a chunk of 2x8 using a hole saw (pic #1). Then made a melting pot out of a soup can (pic#2). I found melting lead was easy and even poured two rings (pic #3). Tonight I plan on pouring the rest and letting them cool. I will have to break the 2x8 to get them out without bending them. Will update with more pics tomorrow.

Very cool! I may have to add the lead rings to my little study. I have a bucket of sinkers so... why not.

Definitely let us know the outcome.

I made lead weights for my weight belt out of about 20 lbs. in sinkers that I found detecting about 2-3 years ago. I used aluminum foil to line the wood mold that I had carved out with a Dremel. Worked great - you just have to be careful with that molten lead when you're pouring it.

Update: I easily poured 16 more rings in about 30 minutes without know what I was doing. It was a bit more difficult getting them out of the mold than I anticipated, even though I knew I would have to break the block (pic #1). I ended up with 18 rings (pic #2), and think they turned out pretty good (pic #3). Typical weight around 10 grams (pic #4).

:Channeling Felix: And it fits! (pic #5).

I am going to try engraving them tomorrow, but am thinking that will be the hardest part (with failure a distinct option).

Attachments

• block.jpg
    block.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 54
  • all of them.jpg
    all of them.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 51
  • ring.jpg
    ring.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 51
  • weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 50
  • fits.jpg
    fits.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 51
Update: I easily poured 16 more rings in about 30 minutes without know what I was doing. It was a bit more difficult getting them out of the mold than I anticipated, even though I knew I would have to break the block (pic #1). I ended up with 18 rings (pic #2), and think they turned out pretty good (pic #3). Typical weight around 10 grams (pic #4).

:Channeling Felix: And it fits! (pic #5).

I am going to try engraving them tomorrow, but am thinking that will be the hardest part (with failure a distinct option).

Nicely done sir!

I couldn't find an engraver. I had to use my dremel. The numbers are barely legible because I can't see well and my hands are a bit shaky. I can read them now, but rolling around in the sand for a while will likely erase the numbers quickly.

It didn't work well, but it is what it is. And I don't have time to do any more.

I will report back on what I learn.

Attachments

• engraving.jpg
    engraving.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom