Lake Lewisville Dallas - 1945 Wheat - Update

tripperman79

I have been itching to get out to the lake and start doing water and beach hunting for a few weeks now. A friend of mine has a connection that owns a lakefront home that we went and hunted right on the lakefront on Lake Louisville in Dallas.

I dug lots of trash and several sinkers and also lots of bullets. There were lots of other little artifacts too and I pulled one coin out for the day and 1945 wheat. No gold, but I can
ja5e6eta.jpg
ru7aseva.jpg
guarantee I removed a gazillion pop tabs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anybody assuming they can just hunt lewisville lake at will without a permit(restrictive as all-git)...needs to realize that the COE says the general shoreline is off limits. All they really allow on that lake legally is to hunt just the dedicated swim/sand beaches. It sounds odd but even private property hits a legal limit when you hit the waterline. Just saying that if you are a stickler to be 100% legal, you won't technically be legal in this hunt. Stupid N. Texas laws.

Hey Martin! My dad and I have a permit from the Core of Engineers. I think he went with you to get it. We want to obey all laws and ordinances for sure. This hunt was on their private property, their house is right on the water.

Hey Martin! My dad and I have a permit from the Core of Engineers. I think he went with you to get it. We want to obey all laws and ordinances for sure. This hunt was on their private property, their house is right on the water.

This below is what I understood when I directly asked my Ranger in the office that day. Even private property shorelines are still govt owned and they "legally" do not allow detecting there. By COE dictate,,,you break policy even detecting the grass on the way to the swim beaches, and again once you cross those floatation lines at the beaches. Again, BY LETTER OF THE SPECIFIC LAW. I asked. Please let me know if you get or got a different answer Tripp.

Re: Anyone ever gone detecting on Lake Lavon ?
I went to get my permit for Lake Lewisville and they made sure I knew I could only detect on the beach. I was shocked that I couldn't detect around the picnic or treed areas. Has anyone had trouble at a corp lake for detecting in the grassy areas?

I'm not arguing with you, but I will call and ask the COE tomorrow. We were on a beach and there was sand. Are you saying that metal detecting is only allowed in designated lake swimming areas in state parks? That would make since that they wouldn't want detecting in the grass in state parks.

It takes presenting the ranger during the permit acquisition, specific scenarios outside the dedicated swim beaches as dictated on the official form. If you get answers saying that crossing the marked floation lines at beaches is OK, I will appreciate knowing. So far I only see that strictly staying inside the sand swim beaches on certain parks on each lake, is entirely legal by definition to hunt.

Any news about being able to stray "outside the lines" of those specific swim areas will be a blessing to me. Nobody is gonna get you on that private property, but by law, I think they could at the water line, which in Texas has expanded during the drought. Why texas worries about mudhole lakes like these is just stupid IMO. Somebody made a law and now it has gotten rediculious.

Tricky slope for the absolute law abiders who paint the line on how they will hunt that day.

Hey Tripp, glad to see you got out and had some fun. I don't know about the law specifically and have only hunted lake Lavon one time in a designated swimming area with permission from the COE. They had a regulation about the value of the items that could be kept but I don't recall the specifics and it was a long time ago. I know that in a State Park that there is absolutely no metal detecting allowed but on a COE lake you can hunt the designated swimming areas. These crazy Texas laws are the main reason that I do not own a water machine or water detect. I have owned them in the past but after running into all the regulations, I did not keep them. Hope you find out what you need to know and good luck in your future hunts. We need to get together in the near future and have a nice hunt somewhere. Talk to you soon.
Pesc

Permits

I have a COE permit and a permit from Lake Dallas allowing me to hunt Willow Grove Park. I pay $3 to enter another local lake park to hunt, and I have a Yearly permit for Hidden Cove Park. I believe any Lake Park not directly under COE Rule is overseen by the Town or county it is in? The COE as far as I know controls the actual lake and a 30 ft wide strip of shoreline measured from Pool. I have never been bothered at any Lake Park or area of the lake I hunt, and do 3/4 of my hunting at such places... GL & HH.....Pat

Thank you to Martin and Pescadore for setting me straight. Talked to the Core of Engineers for lake Lewisville and they are correct. A permit is required for each lake that is operated by the COE. The permit for Lewisville is free. This permits you to legally metal detect only the sandy beach swimming areas in the parks around the lakes as Martin posted earlier.

Sorry for causing confusion on this issue. But at least I was able to get more info on where to hunt on COE maintained lakes.

Thank you to Martin and Pescadore for setting me straight. Talked to the Core of Engineers for lake Lewisville and they are correct. A permit is required for each lake that is operated by the COE. The permit for Lewisville is free. This permits you to legally metal detect only the sandy beach swimming areas in the parks around the lakes as Martin posted earlier.

Sorry for causing confusion on this issue. But at least I was able to get more info on where to hunt on COE maintained lakes.

That is the technical legality with the sand swim beaches there but I'll say this..."If I owned beach front property on the lake, I wouldn't think twice about hunting it." Also, you surely know that every Tom Dick & Harry with a Walmart special BH, goes directly to these shorelines without a second thought.

It kinda really comes down to this. How much of any law do you want to force upon yourself? It is possible to un-fun this hobby with over stressed legality worries. I didn't hunt away from home and families homes for a whole year after just getting into the hobby in 2010. All the while, the old, local parks were being detected by everyone else.

It is possible to over analyze. There's a balancing act to be done IMO. A little cheating won't kill anybody.

Back
Top Bottom