More Finds Today. Probably More Tomorrow

ScubaDetective

In Memory Of
Forum Supporter
Got a call yesterday from the Octopus Beer Garden on the Clinton river. A woman's wallet went between two barges. Told her I would be by today to see what I could do. I get there and I think it is possible. LOL first mistake!

The barges are about 4 inches apart. So I have to go under them till where the wallet is grab it and come back out. Ok so I suit up and jump in. Then I swim under a dock to get to the opening on the end of one of the barges. Water is shallow. I can't get under the barge and go very far without my tank hitting the underside of the barge while I lay in the muck.

So now what? I decide to take off my tank and push it along the bottom. I put a rope down with two sinkers on it where the wallet went in. I then lay on the bottom and push my tank until I feel the rope. Well that worked. I found a credit card and a wallet. Not knowing where I was at all with nothing but darkness I crawl along the bottom and feel with my foot the bottom of the barge. Boy that was a long way out. Well I got turned around under there and went out the long way.

Now for more bad news. The wallet I found was not the right one. It belonged to a guy. I decided I was NOT going back without some other tools. I have ideas that will probably work. Stay tuned to this dive channel!

Next stop was Mac Ray harbor for a boat part. That was pretty easy. Also found a phone and a knife. Got out and the phone reminded the boat owner that his friend dropped a phone earlier in the week. He called his friend and was told where that phone was. So I put my tank back on and jump in and get it.

I went to the address on the drivers license that was on the wallet I found. I was greeted by a shocked wife of the owner. They had replaced most everything and I don't have a clue as to what was inside. They were very happy as he could not find another wallet like it and he loved it. A great day today.

Tomorrow I have a couple of dives lined up. One is finding dive gear a diver that died last week out there was using. Not a pleasant dive by no means but one that needs to be done. Another is another cell phone.

Attachments

• 66581286_2676504112382429_3315773885621731328_n.jpg
    66581286_2676504112382429_3315773885621731328_n.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 553
Isn't that braille diving fun? I've done a bit of it. The water in south Louisiana isn't know to be clear. Be careful under that barge. They can move without warning. Good luck.

Cliff

Crazy... might as well go jump out of an airplane without a parachute ...then you want to go after a dead divers gear. . . I know are days are numbered but ....Do you have a death wish ?

Crazy... might as well go jump out of an airplane without a parachute ...then you want to go after a dead divers gear. . . I know are days are numbered but ....Do you have a death wish ?

I have FORTY years experience and I try to be as careful as possible. Sure something can go wrong. But I try not to take risks that I don't believe I can handle. I guess time will tell.

I have FORTY years experience and I try to be as careful as possible. Sure something can go wrong. But I try not to take risks that I don't believe I can handle. I guess time will tell.
I'm glad you have all that experience and your probably very comfortable underwater. But we're all getting older. We've all done some crazy , dangerous stuff. I don't even know you , and I'm worried. Product of your environment I guess. I was thinking of your book . Couldn't be many pictures because the waters to murky. But then you probably don't drag a camera around either. B safe.

Some of your adventures sound crazy Robert!

Reminds me of the saying about Alaska bush pilots: " There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots". Please be safe out there!

Some ARE VERY crazy and 99% of the divers wouldn't even consider it. Pitch black muck is one thing, confined space and pitch black is another. My comfort zone was really exceeded but my experience level told me I could do it
I had a friend that did some deep cave diving where they had to remove their gear and push it ahead of them to get through a tight passage. I went through the class but never really wanted to do it. If someone's life was at stake I do know how to do it and would. If you are properly trained and equipped a lot is possible.

Cliff

Two dives 5:50 minutes underwater. A Uglystick fishing pole and reel, two anchors, two ice spuds and three dive masks. were my recoveries. I was close but not close enough. Going back tomorrow

Isn't that braille diving fun? I've done a bit of it. The water in south Louisiana isn't know to be clear. Be careful under that barge. They can move without warning. Good luck.

Cliff

also have to be careful of getting hung up on exposed nails on the underside of some barges.

Still alive and I found the wallet today!

I went online and found a 25 foot regulator hose for 140.00. That hose let me leave my tank on the barge and go under it without having to push a bulky tank around. I put a flashlight on a string and lowered it between the barges where the wallet went in. Then tied a rope to my buoyancy compensator and had my friend Kevin keep it tight so I knew how to get back out. I slowly went under and felt around till I found the wallet. Then I tugged on the rope and Kevin slowly helped me out. SUCCESS!!

Still haven't found the gear that was lost when the diver died. I went out yesterday. I added another anchor and two more ice spuds to my growing collection but no gear yet. I will probably be going back tomorrow. Not 100% sure.

Also yesterday got a call for a propeller off a tunnel ram boat with surface drives. I found that in over a foot of muck. I had to keep digging around it because the muck kept trying to suck it down. Another very happy boater.

Saturday you will find me on lake Erie for a ring and a boat part. I am still keeping very busy.

Today Kevin and I went to Poor Mans beach for a dive on our own. Got lots of bullets and some chage but nothing exciting. Ny friend Ed found another bomb out there last week and he is giving it to me. Brings my total to 9 now.

Amazing story on the wallet recovery. I bet very few divers are at this skill and innovation level. Luv the reunion stories !

Yeah... I hope you don't have a failure...cause that's gonna bother me !

You know what they say.

If at first you don't succeed......................skydiving was not for you.

You only live once. Enjoy it and make the best of it. That is what I am doing.

Back
Top Bottom