Do you believe in karma?

Fooleeze

Because man, I felt it today! (Follow along, the pics are kinda in order of the story). And sorry, this got really long-winded.

So the story starts about a week ago. I got permission to go hunt and old 1830s home in my area, the woman who lives there has been there 40 years. She is very knowledgeable about the home, its history, previous owners, etc. When I asked to detect, I said that if there is anything I find that she wants to keep with the house, she has first dibs. I want to build trust and a good relationship with her. She's very nice, and she has access to help get me permissions at other locations around town.

So, I proceed to detect. . . and within the first 30 minutes, I come across a strong high signal, 92-93 on the AT Max (Sounds like large trash). I did the hole about 4 - 5 inches, scan again, now it's reading about 98-99 on the AT Max. (Really sounds like large trash now). Then I look into the hole and what do I see in the bottom? Something giant-coin-shaped? Yup, it's my first silver dollar coin. An 1882 O Morgan Silver Dollar. (See the pics). I was beside myself!

I proceeded to hunt the property. I managed to find a few buttons, a few random brass pieces, one IHP, one Shield Nickel, one V Nickel, and about 7-8 wheaties. It was a great hunt. So at the end I ask her, "Is there anything you want to keep with the house?" She picks a few of the brass items, the V and Shield nickel, one button, and <gasp> the Morgan. I'm heartbroken, but I know she really wants to keep it with the house. So I let her have it.

(And my coping mechanism, I ran home and bought a matching coin on eBay just so I would have one).

Fast forward to today, on my way home from work, I stopped at a farm where I have permission. My buddy and I hunted it two weeks ago, trying to find where any old 1800s home may have been. We found a few traces, but other than two wheat pennies, didn't come up with anything. One of the fields had kinda tall grass/hay in it. Well, about a week later, they came through and cut down the grass/hay. So I wanted to go back and focus on that part of the field a little more.

I go to the area where I suspect the home may have been and start gridding the area. I come across a medium bouncy tone, and pull out an old nickel (heavily corroded, but it's gotta be a V or Shield nickel. I then get another bouncy higher tone. upper 70s to upper 80s. I dig it and I quickly see another green nickel (V or Shield, heavily corroded). Though to myself "that tone was awful high for that. . . re-checked the hole and BAM, 90, right in the middle. Dug down with my hand-digger, and out popped a silver rim. I didn't have water with me, but I was able to gently knock enough dirt off to see it was a Barber Half-Dollar, 1894. (My first silver half-dollar!). This is where the Karma set in. . . I felt like this was Karma's way of thanking me for letting the woman keep the Morgan.

I kept swinging for maybe 20 minutes more. About 8 feet away, I got a heavily corroded large cent (only my 4th large cent), and then I pulled one more heavily corroded old nickel (V or Shield). This was a great 90 minute hunt, and I can't wait to get back, I'm sure there is more there to find.

Lastly, I'm going to start a tracker. There's a strange trend going on with my finds. I've only been doing this for approximately 18 months. I have found plenty of silvers. My first silver was a SLQ. Found several Roosevelt dimes, several mercury dimes, one barber dime, then found another SLQ. I also found a 1902 Canadian Quarter, and 1886 Canadian half-dime. Found my first Barber Quarter a month or so ago. Now I've found a Morgan dollar and a Barber half. What's missing? I've yet to find a silver Washington quarter. Is it weird to have a silver Washington quarter on my bucket list? How do I find some of the unique silvers that I have so far, but not a single Washington quarter. Strange.

Anyways, thanks for reading!

Attachments

• IMG_20190907_130659.jpg
    IMG_20190907_130659.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_20190907_131037.jpg
    IMG_20190907_131037.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20190907_131043.jpg
    IMG_20190907_131043.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20190907_170027.jpg
    IMG_20190907_170027.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_20190913_175255.jpg
    IMG_20190913_175255.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_20190913_175322.jpg
    IMG_20190913_175322.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20190913_192218.jpg
    IMG_20190913_192218.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_20190913_192228.jpg
    IMG_20190913_192228.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_20190913_185156.jpg
    IMG_20190913_185156.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 332
Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. Still looking for the thrill of digging a Morgan. The Barber half is really nice too!

Enjoyed that journey very much...you write well!

That coping mechanism you mentioned, I doubt that anyone here would have thought that was strange behavior.
What a weird, and yet, still great hobby.

Get a camera and start filming and posting these hunts if this is the kind of quality sites you have access to.
I would subscribe and follow you if you did.

Good story and write up and oh yeah there is some kind of strange karma going on for sure. A huge attaboy for the big silver and joining the silver dollar club. I will say I am upfront when I get a permission, I say I keep what I find, I have a lot of time and money invested and you obviously can't split a coin or token, but if you lost anything let me know and I'll be happy to try to find it for you. And if I would find anything with some serious value I would sell it and split the proceeds If they don't agree I move on. Now I have returned jewelry, dog tags, or personal items. Again congrats on some great finds. HH Mark

Wow for a realativly new person to the hobby you've been getting into some good sites with great finds. Man that was rough the way that lady snatched your best finds.[emoji25]

Good story and glad you were able to shortly thereafter find some nearly equal good stuff. The way you're going that Washington quarter should be in one of your next few plugs. :fingers crossed:

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Nice job keeping your word!

I've noticed a number of people say they haven't found a GW quarter despite finding other less common coins. According to a survey somebody posted earlier this year of "common, uncommon coins", about 68% of people reported finding a GW, which was lower than the Mercury dime and about the same as a war nickel. The Morgan was the rarest. (Again, the survey didn't include gold coins.)

What's missing? You didn't mention seated coins, Barber dime, walking liberty half, franklin half, silver JFK half, Peace dollar....

attachment.php

Very nice finds...Karma DOES pay you back for good deeds.

I found only one silver Washington quarter...my hunting partner Tom has been detecting for over 10 years, and he's never found a silver quarter. It's odd that those are so rare.

Thank you all for reading and the kind words. I wanted to add that I'm not angry at the woman for taking the finds that she did, I truly believe she really just wanted to keep some stuff with the house. And I really do want to earn her trust. The Morgan was the only one that really hurt me because I never found one. But buying one of my own certainly made it better.

And someone mentioned seated silvers, I forgot about that one, I did find one 1876 seated dime, that is my oldest silver. But purely by mint numbers, I feel like I should have accidentally stumbled onto at least one or two GWs by now.

Great write up and cool story. Im a believer in metal detecting Karma, the more trash you pick up and people you talk to in a positive light, the more treasure you will get!

I love the photos of big silver in the dirt, like we are right there to unveil it. Great job

Good play-by-play ! Good pix. Luv those in-situ reveal shots ! Luv the green patinas on the coppers. Heck, those coppers wouldn't be half as fun if they came out of the ground candy-apple clean and nice. Right ? :laughing:

Do you believe in karma? was the question. Keep All Republican Members Around.

sounds like a winner and I could believe in that.:roll: :tiphat:

Back
Top Bottom