Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Other Forums > Family Friendly Topics

Old 09-16-2019, 08:04 AM
Elite Member

Default Computer Printers

So... I have an Epson Eccotank 2550 and it was GREAT when I was printing shipping labels all day everyday. Now it's no longer being used for business and is strictly household. But because it's rarely used, the ink has gotten weird and it needs new printheads, etc.

It was a $400 printer when I got it but saved so much $$ on ink. It just doesn't print like it used to and we need something that can be used for printing for school projects, etc.

Can someone tell me some good brands these days for color inkjet printers? Hopefully something that won't cost a mint for ink. I used to use Lexmark, but they're no longer making ink jets.

Also, for a Mac household.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by TheCoilist View post
So... I have an Epson Eccotank 2550 and it was GREAT when I was printing shipping labels all day everyday. Now it's no longer being used for business and is strictly household. But because it's rarely used, the ink has gotten weird and it needs new printheads, etc.

It was a $400 printer when I got it but saved so much $$ on ink. It just doesn't print like it used to and we need something that can be used for printing for school projects, etc.

Can someone tell me some good brands these days for color inkjet printers? Hopefully something that won't cost a mint for ink. I used to use Lexmark, but they're no longer making ink jets.

Also, for a Mac household.
If you absolutely MUST have color then I really can't help you.. as ALL Inkjets I have used eventually experience the same issue you are describing.. Lack of use causes clogs print head issues etc..
If Black//grey and white is workable for you then I suggest an HP LaserJet something like this..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

you really can't go wrong with it..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-16-2019, 10:03 AM
Elite Member

I am torn between color inkjets and laser printers. I have been even during the printers business use days. 90% of what we print is black and white, but the kiddos do sometimes need to print photos/pictures for homework assignments, etc. But I don't see that happening in the future much being that everything has gone digital.

How long do the laser printer toner's last? And the cost comparison... I have heard lasers are very expensive to maintain.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
Elite Member

I gave up on printers. If they are not being used almost daily they clog up.
You could make sure you print a test everyday. I tried that before I gave up and started using the library's machine.

Old 09-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

I am torn between color inkjets and laser printers. I have been even during the printers business use days. 90% of what we print is black and white, but the kiddos do sometimes need to print photos/pictures for homework assignments, etc. But I don't see that happening in the future much being that everything has gone digital.

How long do the laser printer toner's last? And the cost comparison... I have heard lasers are very expensive to maintain.
No more than a Inkjet and a cartridge lasts forever

$49.89 for the Printer I showed you

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
If you absolutely MUST have color then I really can't help you.. as ALL Inkjets I have used eventually experience the same issue you are describing.. Lack of use causes clogs print head issues etc..
If Black//grey and white is workable for you then I suggest an HP LaserJet something like this..

[url]..
I too will never buy another injet. I've been using b/w lasers for years. If I need color I'll go somewhere and have it printed.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:21 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by MuddyMo View post
I too will never buy another injet. I've been using b/w lasers for years. If I need color I'll go somewhere and have it printed.
+1 same here, got tired of ink jet systems drying up.

We've been using a unit that works as a wireless printer and as a copy machine and you can even scan to or from a USB flash drive.

We have been using this for years and the high yield TN-650 toner cartridge usually lasts easily over a year.

The unit itself seems to have a newer version now but the one I have still seems to be available.

Brother DCP-8080dn Digital Copier and Laser Printer w/Duplex Printing and Networking

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCP-8.../dp/B0026JL9RG

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet

Old 09-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Elite Member

I have had this Canon for years and years and it's as reliable as it is fast. Best printer I've ever owned, hands down.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by GKL View post
+1 same here, got tired of ink jet systems drying up.

We've been using a unit that works as a wireless printer and as a copy machine and you can even scan to or from a USB flash drive.

We have been using this for years and the high yield TN-650 toner cartridge usually lasts easily over a year.

The unit itself seems to have a newer version now but the one I have still seems to be available.

Brother DCP-8080dn Digital Copier and Laser Printer w/Duplex Printing and Networking

https://www.amazon.com/Brother-DCP-8.../dp/B0026JL9RG
Thing looks like it's a BEAST! How big is it in the real world?

I totally forgot I would need copy/scan capabilities for sure. That is something I can't go without.

Old 09-16-2019, 06:40 PM
Supporter

Exclamation

Thing looks like it's a BEAST! How big is it in the real world?

I totally forgot I would need copy/scan capabilities for sure. That is something I can't go without.
Just used a yardstick to measure it:

18 inches high
21 inches wide
18 inches deep

Found the manufacturer web page that has the manuals/guides you can view online if you want to do more research before deciding -

https://support.brother.com/g/b/manu...d=dcp8080dn_us

John 3:5__Acts 2:38__Acts 19:1-7
Navy Vet