Busted my digger!

I use the 31"lesche more n more now. I use it for making the initial plug before dropping to one knee, Sometimes I then pull out the handheld lesche and dig a bit deeper. That combination seems best for my relatively slow retrieving style. I'm in no hurry. The lesche products are all I've used. Spent enough on the three I have to justify buying others. The 31" T handle Sampson, The 18" mini Sampson and the ole red handheld. None have broken yet. I do use tools correctly and the grounds here, especially the prized original ground, here in New England are often full of rocks, packed soil and those sweet hits many times also include roots. I've even carried a drywall saw in the pouch for rooty ground. Can work pretty nice but most times my lesches handle roots alone.

Well, you were both right. Helen, from repair at White's, responded to my email promptly. She said they will replace it free if I send them the broken one. So I packed it and brought it to the USPS. They quoted $12.08 for the slower "ground" shipping, or $13.00 for Priority 2 day, with $50 insurance. There was, of course, a ridiculously expensive expedited option too. I went with Priority. I will be glad to get a new one, but will be considering the tougher digger options in the future.

Too bad about the shipping, but at least they are willing to replace it, wonder if there is a way to reinforce those.

I hear ya Earl. I'll probably be sayin' that too someday. But for now, I'm looking forward to a hand digger. :lol:

:lol: Rare two piece Digmaster for sale....
The real use of a detecting shovel around here is in CLAY,ROCK and HALF FROZEN TURF. It allows you to even GO detecting, whereas a 2-4” frost layer will keep you in the house til spring....but even at that, it must be used “properly”. We just live in a different environment than some who might not even need one for their hunting needs. I’ve broken too many hand diggers to want my arteries and flesh anywhere NEAR metal that’s going to potentially break and maim me. Almost ALL were broken trying to pop out a half frozen plug.

Be interesting to know how long the new one will last for :yes:
Yes. I sure hope it outlasts this one. I really like the double serrated blade and the ergonomic handle.

I use the 31"lesche more n more now. I use it for making the initial plug before dropping to one knee, Sometimes I then pull out the handheld lesche and dig a bit deeper. That combination seems best for my relatively slow retrieving style. I'm in no hurry. The lesche products are all I've used. Spent enough on the three I have to justify buying others. The 31" T handle Sampson, The 18" mini Sampson and the ole red handheld. None have broken yet. I do use tools correctly and the grounds here, especially the prized original ground, here in New England are often full of rocks, packed soil and those sweet hits many times also include roots. I've even carried a drywall saw in the pouch for rooty ground. Can work pretty nice but most times my lesches handle roots alone.
Using tools correctly would cut down on the premature failures. Maybe I'm guilty of overthinking the "work with what ya got" mentality. I'm a guy who will whack on something with a handy pliers because my hammer is eight steps away. :lol:

Too bad about the shipping, but at least they are willing to replace it, wonder if there is a way to reinforce those.
They should be reinforced! I wanted to keep the blade for a reinforcement project.

:lol: Rare two piece Digmaster for sale....
The real use of a detecting shovel around here is in CLAY,ROCK and HALF FROZEN TURF. It allows you to even GO detecting, whereas a 2-4” frost layer will keep you in the house til spring....but even at that, it must be used “properly”. We just live in a different environment than some who might not even need one for their hunting needs. I’ve broken too many hand diggers to want my arteries and flesh anywhere NEAR metal that’s going to potentially break and maim me. Almost ALL were broken trying to pop out a half frozen plug.

There's tough digging to be found just about everywhere, but you make a good point about extending the season in big freeze country.
I could've found a nice travel case for my 2 piece Digmaster. Maybe toss in some JB Weld, and call it "Deluxe" :lol:

Soil here is predominately something called "blackland clay" and we are in our typical late summer dry spell which make for tough digging even with a shovel. I've two permissions yet to detect because I don't want dead grass plugs materializing after I leave. Looking at easier diggings I did a bunch of tot lots yesterday with poor results, about $3+ in clad and a couple bling items. I think all had been swept and what I dug was fresh drop except for a couple deep targets. Oh well looking at all options, may actually do the gravel thing :D

Back
Top Bottom