1k??? Does That Even Count As Gold??

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I went out curb stripping today, which ended up morphing into a park hunt when the curb strip refused to give up much more than a pen and a boat load of pennies. Switching to the park didn’t seem much better at first, but when a jumpy high tone turned out to be a 1917 Wheat, I started to feel a little better - funny how a century old coin can change the complexion of a hunt, even if it is “only” a Wheat! :yes:

Overall I still didn’t find much for the day: 91¢ in clad, and a junker heart pendant that my two young girls are likely to fight over because both their names start with “C” :lol:. The Wearever fountain pen is pretty neat, though crushed to the point I can’t get the cap off - probably dates from the 1940s. Even the little black Lindy pen has a little age on it - might be late 60s. Looking closely at it, you can still see the seal playing with a ball logo on the side.

The find of the day was the ROTC collar insignia, though. Rang up as a variable 19-21, so I’m thinking yet another half-moon Zincoln. I was thrilled to see it was an ROTC pin when I turned the plug, and cool that both the Ballou clutches were still attached. The ground was rather loamy, so it came out looking in great shape, and with the deep brown coloring and VDI numbers I happily popped it in my pouch as a nice brass keeper. But once I got it home and rinsed some of the excess sand off, I noticed that the clutches were partially blocking some lettering on the back...when I took the clutches off and finished cleaning, I was amazed and amused to see it marked “1K”!!!

Is this seriously 1K gold??? To be honest, I didn’t even realize 1k gold was a real thing! But apparently it’s 4.17% pure gold :lol: If it counts, it’s my 3rd gold find this summer :D

Anyways, the ROTC collar pin might date to as early as 1955, based on the stamping on the Ballou clutches and the great info on this website about dating insignia using the metallic clutches. Unfortunately, it isn’t clear when Ballou stopped making this style of clutch, so it might date to as late as the 1970s.

Attachments

• 41C74D3E-B262-4CA7-B4B9-37A44E38851C.jpg
    41C74D3E-B262-4CA7-B4B9-37A44E38851C.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 34BE318D-BB07-4855-A0C7-02E116FF8DDD.jpg
    34BE318D-BB07-4855-A0C7-02E116FF8DDD.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 328
  • 4D1A8BF2-A7B0-4A77-BF2B-9895B0BEC448.jpg
    4D1A8BF2-A7B0-4A77-BF2B-9895B0BEC448.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 338
  • 72F3A79F-F465-4AD5-9A7C-E9A36CDEDF8D.jpg
    72F3A79F-F465-4AD5-9A7C-E9A36CDEDF8D.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 323
  • C64B2EF5-9177-41D6-85B1-3B4239234025.jpg
    C64B2EF5-9177-41D6-85B1-3B4239234025.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 296
  • CBEC5767-1937-4C87-A92F-CDC65AD67404.jpg
    CBEC5767-1937-4C87-A92F-CDC65AD67404.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 297
Never heard of 1K either. Interesting. Thanks for the play by play. I wouldnt fault you for counting it!

Hey gold is gold regardless whether it's decaf, medium, or dark.[emoji16] Congratulations on the finds.

Don

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Neat hunt Ben. 1K is new to me also and it is clearly marked. I dig Gold on such rare occurrence I may try to count it twice. Congrats! Trapper

I've got the feeling that the 1K refers to something else...

Still some nice things you found there, that 1917 Wheaties seems to be in good condition too :)

In doing some cursory research, it looks like "1k" refers to the maker...a company called "Krew"

but that's just the initial findings...I'll do some more checking when I can

I've got the feeling that the 1K refers to something else...

Still some nice things you found there, that 1917 Wheaties seems to be in good condition too :)

Thanks sandgroper! The 1917 Wheat was a nice surprise - I've hunted that particular park a few times in the past, and never turned up anything that old there before. And you're absolutely right about the 1K - see below...

In doing some cursory research, it looks like "1k" refers to the maker...a company called "Krew"

but that's just the initial findings...I'll do some more checking when I can

Dang it...you're right pryan! I knew it was too good/weird to be true :lol: Thanks for finding and posting that - with that info, I've found a couple different websites that list Krew, Inc of Attleboro, MA as a manufacturer of U.S. metal emblems/insignia, and they apparently have used the hallmarks of "1K" and "K21". This web posting was the most helpful, because it actually helps narrow down the manufacture date for the pin! According to the second post on the page, two-digit alpha-numeric codes were assigned around 1953-1954, with a switch to three-digit alpha-numeric codes around 1964-1965. Still a neat, historical relic that's apparently older than me :cool3:...and made of brass as I originally thought out of the ground :lol:

Last edited:
That pin is awesome! Don’t think I’ve seen one of those ever posted here. Congrats! 1k... hmmmm

Thanks, GS...I think it's pretty cool too, even though it's turned out to be brass after all (see the posts above). And interesting that it was clearly a pocket loss...since both of the clutches were in place, it certainly didn't fall off of someone's collar.

Never heard of 1K either. Interesting. Thanks for the play by play. I wouldnt fault you for counting it!

Neat hunt Ben. 1K is new to me also and it is clearly marked. I dig Gold on such rare occurrence I may try to count it twice. Congrats! Trapper

News to me!

Thanks SW, Trapper, and uga - apparently there's good reason we've never heard of 1K gold :lol: Turns out the 1K happens to be the maker's hallmark...oh well! It's still a fun find, and as always, I learned some new stuff along the way about gold and dating military insignia based on hallmarks and clutches :yes:

Ben nice write up, I read some of the comments and commend you on your diligence on the research, It always great to put a story to the find. Congrats on the old wheat and the Rotc pin is a great save. HH Mark

Dang , I was hoping I was going to learn something new about 1k gold. Then I could have added my 1,355 gold plated rings over the last 4 years I've found to my offical scoreboard. Oh wait... I threw those in the trash...

Dang , I was hoping I was going to learn something new about 1k gold. Then I could have added my 1,355 gold plated rings over the last 4 years I've found to my offical scoreboard. Oh wait... I threw those in the trash...

Rings in the trash?

I love finding rings. Even if they don’t have monetary value.

My hunting buddy Tom and I have a deal. If we find a ring, we get a frosty from Wendy’s. Even if it’s a “junk” ring.

Rings in the trash?

My hunting buddy Tom and I have a deal. If we find a ring, we get a frosty from Wendy’s. Even if it’s a “junk” ring.

Yeah... that's true. Only in about the last 6 months have I started to keep ALL rings. Only because a friend wants me to , keep count , cherry pick a few , idk. Every junk , plated , kids , etc ring I would throw away. If it wasn't precious it was trash. I never would consider counting them. In the 1000s.

Rings in the trash?

Ha I like your deal lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah... that's true. Only in about the last 6 months have I started to keep ALL rings. Only because a friend wants me to , keep count , cherry pick a few , idk. Every junk , plated , kids , etc ring I would throw away. If it wasn't precious it was trash. I never would consider counting them. In the 1000s.

Yowza. Thousands? I’m at around thirty. Lol.

Yowza. Thousands? I’m at around thirty. Lol.

Yes , over many , many years. Just guessing though. I can honestly say about 150-200 this year alone. Heavily populated beaches such as Huntington or Santa Monica where you can have 100,000 people over a good summer weekend will do that. Lots of junk.

Yes , over many , many years. Just guessing though. I can honestly say about 150-200 this year alone. Heavily populated beaches such as Huntington or Santa Monica where you can have 100,000 people over a good summer weekend will do that. Lots of junk.

Dang....

I'm in Illinois, so beaches like that are hard to find :)

I think I need to move LOL

Back
Top Bottom